Air duct cleaning meth house | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Air duct cleaning meth house

Fireplug

Nov 17, 2013
Real Name
ART SCHLANGEN
Business Location
United States
We have been approach to clean air ducts in homes that has be infected by Meth.

A couple of questions,
1. First concerns is contaminated equipment after cleaning, we own a truck mount duct cleaning machines wondering if we have to replace our 8'hoses and bags and remove the dirt that is contaminated do we have to have a haz-mat cert to transport and dispose of.
2. If the answer of 1 is yes we may have to use our portable unit, cheaper to replace filters, smaller section of hoses.
3. I spoke to a restoration company yesterday and they told me they have been doing clean up of meth houses for 10 years, and they simply spray a fog in the ducts and they don't clean before they do this.

That make no since to me, why you want to fog a duct full of dirt with meth attach to it. And then when the system is restarted and if the dirt is disturb then I would think that would expose the meth.
Just wondering about feed back. Just FYI our employees are firefighters, we are haz-mat techs, we even have a guys that are chemist of haz-mat. These certs are the highest level to work in the hot zone on any haz-mat incident. Full SCBA and encapsulated suits. Seems like a great opportunity to make some good money MAYBE. Thanks for you help ART

Fireplug

Nov 17, 2013
Real Name
ART SCHLANGEN
Business Location
United States
wow 105 people look at my post with no response... Must not be a lot of people doing that type of work. It is starting to be a big deal here could be a money maker for some of us.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
Check OSHA, DOT and EPA regulations. I am sure there are all sorts of regulations. Also check with your local landfill. They will want to charge an arm and a leg for disposal, I am sure! I don't know the regs, but there may be local regulation as well.

Reactions: Fireplug

Simply Clean QC

Mar 19, 2014
Illinois / Iowa
www.sabyltech.com
Real Name
Nate Howard
Business Location
United States
It's clearly a decontamination... as opposed to your general air duct job. I assume you're using a roto-brush or something similar, which isn' t effective in these situations. The spray they're refering to is most likely an ecapsulating spray of some sort... much like is used prior to cleaning some fire restorations. There are classes and certs available for meth lab cleanup.... i would start there, and pass on this one until you're confident that you can handle it. An easy dollar is never worth future liability issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TMF Forums mobile app

Fireplug

Nov 17, 2013
Real Name
ART SCHLANGEN
Business Location
United States
I will check this info out, I don't own a roto-brush. We have a Heat Seal system also a Nikro UR 5000.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
I cleaned one hotel room.and it was scary. Has anyone done anything in there?
Honestly I would think they would need replacing if it were a house I was gonna live in. I heated the room for two to three days and then exhausted room for a day. repeat if needed. The chems become airborne when heated. So don't go running in there breathing that crap. It is no joke. I touched a few cds that were contaminated and then got it on my arm. I could feel everywhere it was. I do know first thing is to bag everything you can and haul off. I just cant see getting these chems out by brushing and vacuum. It cant be the only thing, but heating those lines up get some of that crap out. but it is so hard to control. I could tell a huge difference after heating and exhausting. I thought I would share my experience since no one jumped on it. I am no expert. I had a chance for a friend to try this and all I did was research online. I cant remember the degree it needs to stay above. but I just cranked it up all the way.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
wow 105 people look at my post with no response... Must not be a lot of people doing that type of work. It is starting to be a big deal here could be a money maker for some of us.
Do you have any idea what this is??
most of us don't have experience doing that and....

so freaking dangerous that most don't want top play in that field. maybe that is the reason why you had so little response.

whatever you do be safe and god be with you

Reactions: Simply Clean QC

tom patnode

Premium VIP
Jun 8, 2008
San Diego
renaissance-carpet.com
Real Name
Tom Patnode
@firefly what did you end up doing here?
I amazed at the staff of firefighters and chemist you have available. They should have the hazardous training more than a carpet cleaning group.
from what I have heard meth houses are pretty much all gutted out, including air ducts

John Krusenstjerna

Jan 6, 2015
Grimes, IA
www.iowactscleaners.com
Real Name
John Krusenstjerna
Business Location
United States
We are Certified in Meth decontamination, and certainly if you are not and don't know what your doing then stay away before you have a huge lawsuit on your hands.
There ARE ways to properly clean and decontaminate air ducts (however you need to put a few things into consideration before doing so) We use an Abatement Technologies negative air system for our "dry clean" step, then we perform a "wet clean" and then a "Decon" step. This can all be done as long as the ducts are not insulated.
In Meth lab Decontamination you are "Decontaminating" that is not necessarily mean it is "Clean" think about it people can decontaminate dirt right???

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
We are Certified in Meth decontamination, and certainly if you are not and don't know what your doing then stay away before you have a huge lawsuit on your hands.
There ARE ways to properly clean and decontaminate air ducts (however you need to put a few things into consideration before doing so) We use an Abatement Technologies negative air system for our "dry clean" step, then we perform a "wet clean" and then a "Decon" step. This can all be done as long as the ducts are not insulated.
In Meth lab Decontamination you are "Decontaminating" that is not necessarily mean it is "Clean" think about it people can decontaminate dirt right???
Hey John, with my experience in normal duct cleaning, and what my charges are based on, I'm assuming that your cleanup process in a situation like this costs twice as much as normal. Wouldn't it be smarter ($$$$) for the customer to just rip out the ducts and replace them?

John Krusenstjerna

Jan 6, 2015
Grimes, IA
www.iowactscleaners.com
Real Name
John Krusenstjerna
Business Location
United States
Hey John, with my experience in normal duct cleaning, and what my charges are based on, I'm assuming that your cleanup process in a situation like this costs twice as much as normal. Wouldn't it be smarter ($$$$) for the customer to just rip out the ducts and replace them?

The cost break down for the cleaning of the ducts and furnace(all 3 steps plus removing and cleaning and decontaminating the blower motor) in the home is usually between $1500-$2500. But we do put into consideration the age of the furnace and then you also have soo many other factor that you have to like are the is it an old house and the ducts are wrapped in asbestos?

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
Yes, meth houses are bad, yes they can be dangerous. But it makes me chuckle when I hear people talk about how dangerous a clean up is, and how it burns your skin and whatever. Your not walking into a cloud radiated toxic gas. I've breathed in worse fumes from a damn waste tank. You are at more risk cleaning up black mold than meth.
Go ahead....fire back with your comments. I am sure you will. Just my observation

John Krusenstjerna

Jan 6, 2015
Grimes, IA
www.iowactscleaners.com
Real Name
John Krusenstjerna
Business Location
United States
Yes, meth houses are bad, yes they can be dangerous. But it makes me chuckle when I hear people talk about how dangerous a clean up is, and how it burns your skin and whatever. Your not walking into a cloud radiated toxic gas. I've breathed in worse fumes from a damn waste tank. You are at more risk cleaning up black mold than meth.
Go ahead....fire back with your comments. I am sure you will. Just my observation

I agree with you there to an extent, the majority of the risk is during the "pack out" portion of the lab supplies, chemicals, and equipment. However there is still contamination to the surfaces within the home that if you come in contact with can effect you (more or less these houses are more dangerous for young children and the elderly to be in)