Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
We have been offering air duct cleaning for the past few years, we originally started offering it as an added service but over time we have been doing more air ducts than I planned. We really do not advertise air duct or dryer vent cleaning besides having a page on our website but we get about a job a week between the two, my thought is that if I push the services a little more we probably could increase the jobs to 1 a day over time. Right now we use our TM with a spinning brush vacuum attachment as well as an air compressor and reverse ball, it is time for me to start looking for better equipment.

What are you guys using and what would you recommend?

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
We have been offering air duct cleaning for the past few years, we originally started offering it as an added service but over time we have been doing more air ducts than I planned. We really do not advertise air duct or dryer vent cleaning besides having a page on our website but we get about a job a week between the two, my thought is that if I push the services a little more we probably could increase the jobs to 1 a day over time. Right now we use our TM with a spinning brush vacuum attachment as well as an air compressor and reverse ball, it is time for me to start looking for better equipment.

I believe most if not all your homes are on slab or crawl space?
Airhandler in closet ,small utility room or garage and main duct work closed ( boxed in ) with drywall
From what I know about the install of the ductwork in your area, it may be almost impossible to hook up a 8-10 inch duct hose and use negative air?
Up my way Jason homes have full basements with furnace rooms and main ductwork is exposed completely ( unfinished ceilings in basement ).
Even if a good majority of the main ductwork is boxed in there is always a few feet off furnace exposed for ducthose hook up to create negative air.
Question please
When you use your compressor with reverse ball , what captures the debris?
Are you turning on fan on airhandler?
Just find it hard to believe that TM vac would capture disturbed debris from reverse ball ( on main ductwork).
Also I'm assuming you usually just have one big cold air intake in your homes ( not alot of cold air main ducting or off shoots).
When I was in Vegas and went out for a day with Todd and Jeff doing carpets I was looking at the ductwork in the homes we were cleaning.
Found that all the homes had vents in the ceiling or half way up walls. Main ductwork was completely finished in and airhandler was in closet / garage etc.
My equipment that I use up here would not work down there.
Pretty much came to the conclusion that ANY equipment out there would NOT clean the main ductwork ( high % of the debris is) in this kind of setting.
I'm not a believer in the Air-care, rotobrush etc but in those scenarios a hit a miss job is all a person can do IMO.
I would still market ductcleaning in your area.. as far as suggestions for upgrading equipment really don't know what to say .
Just gotta let people know the limitations.

Reactions: ronman

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I believe most if not all your homes are on slab or crawl space?
Airhandler in closet ,small utility room or garage and main duct work closed ( boxed in ) with drywall
From what I know about the install of the ductwork in your area, it may be almost impossible to hook up a 8-10 inch duct hose and use negative air?
Up my way Jason homes have full basements with furnace rooms and main ductwork is exposed completely ( unfinished ceilings in basement ).
Even if a good majority of the main ductwork is boxed in there is always a few feet off furnace exposed for ducthose hook up to create negative air.
Question please
When you use your compressor with reverse ball , what captures the debris?
Are you turning on fan on airhandler?
Just find it hard to believe that TM vac would capture disturbed debris from reverse ball ( on main ductwork).
Also I'm assuming you usually just have one big cold air intake in your homes ( not alot of cold air main ducting or off shoots).
When I was in Vegas and went out for a day with Todd and Jeff doing carpets I was looking at the ductwork in the homes we were cleaning.
Found that all the homes had vents in the ceiling or half way up walls. Main ductwork was completely finished in and airhandler was in closet / garage etc.
My equipment that I use up here would not work down there.
Pretty much came to the conclusion that ANY equipment out there would NOT clean the main ductwork ( high % of the debris is) in this kind of setting.
I'm not a believer in the Air-care, rotobrush etc but in those scenarios a hit a miss job is all a person can do IMO.
I would still market ductcleaning in your area.. as far as suggestions for upgrading equipment really don't know what to say .
Just gotta let people know the limitations.
Grant you are right on how HVAC units are set up here with 95% of the duct work running in the ceilings with the vent openings high on the wall right above door ways in bed rooms and the same height in other rooms. In the past when I worked for other companies we used the negative air machines with the duct hoses but we used a pole like in the link here that was a pain to keep in place https://www.air-care.com/product/pkg0004/

As far as the reverse ball goes I only use it on flex duct and I can not send the brush in to them without risking damaging the duct work. Also we have no separate duct work for cold air as both swamp coolers and refriderated air uses the same ducts.

We still do the best cleanings we can but as you said it is a hit and miss, I am looking for a better solution as there is good money in cleaning air ducts.

tres

Mar 3, 2015
Real Name
tres davis
Yes, duct cleaning with the way our houses are built in Texas is pretty hackish. We have had ONE house this year that didn't have flex duct. We don't really push it at all but still get some calls and just try to undersell it as much as possible. Most of the people that call have some mold on first few feet of air register and we tell them that the only proper way to handle that on flex duct is rip it all out. Nobody wants to do that so we offer a band aid fix by encapsulating it.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Grant you are right on how HVAC units are set up here with 95% of the duct work running in the ceilings with the vent openings high on the wall right above door ways in bed rooms and the same height in other rooms. In the past when I worked for other companies we used the negative air machines with the duct hoses but we used a pole like in the link here that was a pain to keep in place https://www.air-care.com/product/pkg0004/

As far as the reverse ball goes I only use it on flex duct and I can not send the brush in to them without risking damaging the duct work. Also we have no separate duct work for cold air as both swamp coolers and refriderated air uses the same ducts.

We still do the best cleanings we can but as you said it is a hit and miss, I am looking for a better solution as there is good money in cleaning air ducts.
How much better did the negative air machines work in your opinion.
Did it remove more debris? Were you able to clean main ductwork?
Still find it hard to see how anybody or any equipment is going to get into areas completely unaccessible Jason.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
If I could hook up negative air to that .... would come minty clean I'm thinking
Here is a short video of me cleaning a nasty cold air return
How successful do you think hooking up negative air using a pole would be?

RestaurantClean

Jul 12, 2016
Real Name
Matt Herring

How do you charge for cleaning air ducts?

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
How successful do you think hooking up negative air using a pole would be?
Not sure what application you would use the pogo pole Jason in your homes .
Could you explain that pole a little more.
Now alot of our new homes have 10ft ceilings in the basement
Here is a picture of my ducthose hooked up on main ducting 10ft ceiling.
I just use a 6ft step ladder and can hook up solo.
Perhaps you use the pole to get flange as close to opening as possible than use reverse skipper ball ?
IMG_0294.JPG

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Perhaps you use the pole to get flange as close to opening as possible than use reverse skipper ball ?
View attachment 69022
https://www.air-care.com/product/fg0038/
We use to use the pole to tie the negative air into the duct work to a vent opening closest to the unit and block off all the other openings and push the debris to the negative air. This did a good job but keeping the negative air in place was always a challenge, we would often use painters tape to help secure it.

ventman929

Premium VIP
Mar 2, 2013
Real Name
dominic navarro
Jason, the pogo pole from air care is very heavy and cumbersome and is why you and countless others had difficulties with it. truthfully, those poles with that heavy duct flange were designed for use on each individual outbound vent, which is why there is a 2" thick padded foam on it so it wouldn't damage walls or ceilings!
another thing, air care negative air machines are not strong enough to place an entire hvac system under negative air. they were best used on each individual vent. I gave an explaination of this in the recent ram air post.
is this the best way to clean ducts? not exactly, but I do feel, based on what I have read here from you and Grant, it may be the best alternative for you to up your game! i'm not sure what type system Grant is using, but seeing the hose he attaches to the trunks, its at least a big boy gas porty, if not a full blown truck vac.
ideally, placing the entire system under negative air is the best way to clean ducts, along with a potent compressor but there are many ways to skin a cat.

I no longer clean ducts but did so for well over 30yrs, and here in Jersey, we have a mind boggling array of hvac layouts, enclosures, slab encased duct runs, attic systems, crawl space, etc....
I have owned and used every type system available, and also built our own high power vacs like I mentioned in another post.

hope this helps a bit....good luck!

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Does your state require any special licensing or certification to offer HVAC cleaning services?

tres

Mar 3, 2015
Real Name
tres davis
Not for duct cleaning

Have to have a license to touch the unit itself in tx

Matt Huck

Nov 15, 2012
Real Name
Matt Huck

The RAM air with a mounted compressor in your truck works great for air ducts and dryer vents. Big money maker.

Bret

Aug 2, 2017
Real Name
Bret Stevens
My boss has a large air care machine, by large I mean generally cube shaped about 4 feet tall, 5 wide, and 7 deep. We use 8 inch hose with a faceplate with foam on it, and place it over a vent to clean the heat side, then move the hose and faceplate to a return and do those. And we use a pretty big air compressor, but no balls or tips or anything. Boss got tired of losing them. Pretty old machine, ~10 years +, supposedly generates 16000 cfm of vacuum. Im not certain how good of a job it does, but would imagine its better than a shop vac type thing?

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Thanks to everyone who posted here, I'm just now looking into adding this service to my company.
Your posts all help.

Bobby111

Oct 2, 2017
Real Name
Bob Shmidt
View attachment 69022
How do you protect the Central Air Evaporator Coil from heavy debris while

cleaning the supply ducts?

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
How do you protect the Central Air Evaporator Coil from heavy debris while

cleaning the supply ducts?
If furnace is in the middle of house and main ductwork coming off each side of plenum I hook up on each side . This helps from debris getting onto coil and also drain pan ( can plug drain ). I also cut a access hole ( put a tin template on while cleaning) about 8 inch circumference above coil . I will sometimes insert a piece of cardboard to put over top of coil and put a little weight on it so vacuum doesn’t lift it. This will help protect top of coil from debris. I will then take template off vac off cardboard if need be and cover up access with template after I run the furnace fan only for a few minutes . I will also inspect top of coil ( especially drain pan. Will also pull off drain hose that is on the outside of plenum and blow air into fitting that is on drainpan to insure no debris... plug hose back in. Hope this makes sense. Our furnaces that have AC .... coil is always above furnace at least 6-8 inches ( code). Also more room ( ductwork above coil). I find it more important to clean the bottom of coil ( airflows through) were the restriction will be under normal use. See some pretty plugged coils. Either brush off the fins or use a coil spray.
Grant