Aftermarket APO install bulkhead fittings

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
You're going to be using a garden hose fitting some where. Most likely outside the waste tank. You can get a male garden hose fitting to male pipe thread in 1/2 or 3/4. If your pump pumps high volume I would use 3/4 in all the plumbing if not then 1/2 should work fine for all the plumbing. Easier to keep everything one size imo.

Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Are you advocating just drilling a hole, feeding a hose through, and sealing it with nothing but Goop from both sides?
Hole saw. I used bulk head fitting on 35 gal supply tank. Bulk head has foam/rubber gasket. Inside is pipe thread both ends. No need for sealant. Just be sure it sits flat.

Sealant obviously on pipe thread though.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Uni seal. They are on Amazon and will hold with no glue goop or anything.

I've used them in aquariums and hydroponic systems with thousands of gallons of water.

You have to lubricate them to get them on or off but they are extremely durable and strong.

None of the regular ones from home depot or plastic ones are anywhere near the same, they are for commercial aquarium applications.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
They are made to fit standard pipe sizes, pvc etc. They fit really tight and will need a hole drilled to the size they recommend for what size uniseal your using. They give you the exact drill bit size.

Once you force whatever pipe your using through, which takes some strength and dish soap to lubricate it seals super tight.

Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
GOOP IS YOUR FRIEND GOOP IS YOUR FRIEND GOOP IS YOUR FRIEND

Would it work on bulk head fitting for wire. I have a cord that runs into tank through electrical bulk fitting that drips on one of my motors.

goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Pelham Bay, Bronx New York
www.pelhambaycarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States
I have been thinking about running a 2+ft hose from the inner bulkhead to the intake filter and looping it up and fastening it to the upper part of one of the stacks with the filter pointed down so I can open the lid and pull the filter out to clear it if needed even when full.

I see no advantage to leaving the filter fixed near the bottom of the tank, especially when it is so vital to keep it unrestricted.

So I guess a flaccid hose is no big deal, like my wife always said.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
How much of a benefit is having a solid threaded anchor point on the inside of the tank to mount hard adapters or elbows?

Without that, the inside plumbing is limited to starting with a floppy hose right instead of a fixed threaded anchor?
with the uni seal you would just push the pvc or metal pipe all the way through then put whatever threads or fittings you want on

Ive used them with 3inch pvc on a very large aquarium, plumbing straight out the bottom of the tank