Aerotech Xt: The ultimate truckmount? Overview and Review

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Aerotech was the last person to manufacture them for Shawn York who invented/designed the Vortex.

Sapphire was the last ones to make the Vortex....there was a ton of reasons as of why the system went side ways.........

The only thing Shawn Had patented was the therm oil system....but AT had already figured out how to get around it and make one of the best systems out there......

You better have the capacity to run one and be a avid duel wander.....or your wasting a lot of money...........

Reactions: rob allen

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
How different is the Aerotech to the Vortex? Are they similiar? Do they even make Vortex anymore.

the AT is about 85% Vortex............the only huge change was the HX system.......aside from that it is the same thing and the same set up......Bluelines Thermalwave 2 Vortex was out before the Vortex unit was built in there plant...

letchworth

Jan 31, 2010
Greenville NC
Real Name
Lee
Business Location
United States
I have owned 3 Aerotechs and thay are dome of the most reliable truck mounts out there since 2006 when we bought the 1st truck I have had a hydrometer 875 a butter and a steam action and by far the Aerotechs have out performed and less problems than the hydrometer only had it 2 years and it spent more time in shop than the Aerotechs put together my trucks have over 4000 hrs and run as if brand new

Reactions: john gerding

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
like i was saying if most of your jobs are around 200ft.. and your not dual wanding almost all the time

u sure you can triple wand with that thing and not leave carpet wet? lift is 15hg with many well made 45/47 blowers so the lift isnt really the issue

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I used to chuckle whenever I heard someone say that. I laughed when I read your post .

I used to run my V along side my 47 blower TCS TM. Two exact Titanium wands with hole glides.

The one off the V was sucking tons more air. The difference was audible.

And undeniable.

Unless you've never had one.

And live in bulletin board land.

idk if you cant clean with a 45 blower..... I prefer to keep costs low, can you work on and replace every single part on your vortex? and what are the costs when you need to replace things. Its a cool machine just way overkill for standard residential carpet cleaning and running a single wand most of the time.

If you have lots of big commercial accounts or dual wand all the time then its probably worth it.

Think of it like this, 2 TNTs in a box truck is around 380+ cfm each and your saving 20k at least? about 18.5k each

380 + 380 cfm is a lot man, I think thats more than most any single TM puts out

That is if your really all about dual wanding, but this way when your running 1 machine your saving lots of fuel, if one needs work then you use the other

if you want to dual wand, then your ready to go.

plus its less weight then 1 vortex to haul around

GRK STL

Jun 6, 2012
Real Name
Bob
Business Location
United States
I have 2 SS870's and have run them side by side with a Vortex and Aerotech.

The heat produced out of the SS blows away both AT and Vortex. The Vortex and AT come with some cool accessories, but that isn't anything you couldn't add to properly setup box truck.

We triple wand jobs with the 870, When I backed the cleaner that had the vortex when it went down. JD bill was almost 5k and a week downtime.

Cost? I could put together 1 870 and 1 570 setup for the cost of a fully optioned out AT.

Bob

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Think of it like this, 2 TNTs in a box truck is around 380+ cfm each and your saving 20k at least? about 18.5k each

380 + 380 cfm is a lot man, I think thats more than most any single TM puts out

That is if your really all about dual wanding, but this way when your running 1 machine your saving lots of fuel, if one needs work then you use the other

so if your truck breaks down......then both your cleaning units are down with it...........
and 380 plus 380 is a lot......but your only going to suck so much threw a straw and thats it...

Dual wanding works....I use to do it with my old Vortex unit.....but I find that 2 trucks a a huge job is better then having one truck tied up at one location.....

I am doing one building....and my other truck is doing another.....who ever got done first pulled around to the other building and got started on it.......not to mention that if one of my trucks gave me any problems......I have the other one there to keep going.....

P6040258_zps033d420c.jpg

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
I have 2 SS870's and have run them side by side with a Vortex and Aerotech.

The heat produced out of the SS blows away both AT and Vortex. The Vortex and AT come with some cool accessories, but that isn't anything you couldn't add to properly setup box truck.

We triple wand jobs with the 870, When I backed the cleaner that had the vortex when it went down. JD bill was almost 5k and a week downtime.

Cost? I could put together 1 870 and 1 570 setup for the cost of a fully optioned out AT.

Bob
you must have gotten some weak exchangers or something was wrong....the AT and vortex,s I have run will put out 300 degrees if you let them...

Last edited:

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
While I am more then happy to work with a 4.7 blower or even smaller the simplicity of an AT and its reliability are unmatched...someone said they had a motor die...this could happen with any van/ truckmount its always a crapshoot....but if he payed 10k that tells me he bought a brand new engine rather then just getting it rebuilt which was his own decision...and clearly he had the money to do so.... good for him...

Last edited:

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
John, I noticed what hasn't been discussed... This guy I knew, has one, and he blew the motor @ 150K (well maintained)
What he didn't consider was, "Idle time". He technically had 330K
A used motor install cost him 10K at the worst possible time...
ahh I see you said he put a used motor in it for 10k? .....thats crazy... surly there was a cheaper way to do it....

Yeah. Mitsubishi truck sadly :( crap happens.
There are quite a few ud trucks with 250k+ and over 7000 hrs still going strong.

After ud they had a short run with mitsu before going with isuzu

Have you heard about the one that was t boned and rolled? Fixed the box and few other parts and it's growling again

Yeah the mitsubishi by far the worst the old boss has ud,s with 400k on em still going...

Lefty724

Oct 21, 2008
Salad Bowl, Cali
Real Name
E
Business Location
United States
I have and use a Petro Viking 16/33 all day, everyday. It works for me...

But....if I had the $$ and work load to get a AT, I would get one doubt! Those things are awesome.

I also think the AT goes a lot further than just great power? Image plays a huge role in our trade. Having a AT alone would get you extra work and known as "the guy" with the bigeest, baddest truck around. JMO.

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
I have and use a Petro Viking 16/33 all day, everyday. It works for me...

But....if I had the $$ and work load to get a AT, I would get one doubt! Those things are awesome.

I also think the AT goes a lot further than just great power? Image plays a huge role in our trade. Having a AT alone would get you extra work and known as "the guy" with the bigeest, baddest truck around. JMO.
This is fact...i happen to know a guy that built a multi million dollar business selling this image...and he doesnt buy new trucks at all anymore...he searches the country for people selling them and finds them for a fraction of retail...he also has shells fir parts from ones that died or were in wrecks or whatever...with an inhouse mechanic that can rebuild almost anything...

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
like i was saying if most of your jobs are around 200ft.. and your not dual wanding almost all the time

u sure you can triple wand with that thing and not leave carpet wet? lift is 15hg with many well made 45/47 blowers so the lift isnt really the issue
15hg going through all 2" plumbing from a rectangular waste tank and 16 hg going through 6" plumbing coming from a cylindrical vortex tank are very different my friend...;) yeah im sure you can triple wand with it...

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
you only have the 6 inch from the blower to the waste tank.....the hose connection from the waste tank to the hose ports is only 2 inches.....then you hook up your 2 inch vacuum hose from there.......mine was a 6008 it ran great....and there is no way that it would triple wand.....even the 7000 hats could not effectively triple wand..........one guy lifted and the others suffered and you started over wetting....not to mention that you could not regulate the water pressure for each wand.....you had to crank up the PSI and the heat to keep a steady pressure on each wand.....once one guy stopped...the other guys wand would spike....this was another problem AT solved by giving each wand it own independent pressure......

your already pushing that envelope with 2 strong wands moving.........

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
you only have the 6 inch from the blower to the waste tank.....the hose connection from the waste tank to the hose ports is only 2 inches.....then you hook up your 2 inch vacuum hose from there.......mine was a 6008 it ran great....and there is no way that it would triple wand.....even the 7000 hats could not effectively triple wand..........one guy lifted and the others suffered and you started over wetting....not to mention that you could not regulate the water pressure for each wand.....you had to crank up the PSI and the heat to keep a steady pressure on each wand.....once one guy stopped...the other guys wand would spike....this was another problem AT solved by giving each wand it own independent pressure......

your already pushing that envelope with 2 strong wands moving.........
its 2.5" hose inlets now and you are still talking about 6" piping into the blower where everybody else is running 2.5" ... you could easily run 2 wands and uph tool...

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
pretty sure that the only Vortex that had 2.5 hose connections were the last of the 7000 hats.......But I think that was a custom job......

AT I think is giving 2.5 ports.....not stock though.....

most the slide in's are coming with both 2.5 and 2 inch ports.......and they are being piped with 4 to 5 inch hose from the blowers to the waste tanks..........

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
From a marketing stand point wouldn't you have nearly the same visual impact on customers by having a box truck with a slide in instead of an AT setup? Rarely do I have customers walk outside and look at my machine, just a few guys here and there but rarely women.

Lets say for example a customer sees this setup which is a judson:
DraperC4Vegas-750x300.jpg

And this setup which is an Aerotech:
carpet-cleaning-truck-aerotech-truckmount-nissan-ud.jpg

The visual effect to the customer will be the same. One costs a lot more then the other but they look the same. So IMO the paying the big $ for the marketing and visual effect of an AT is moot.

Lefty724

Oct 21, 2008
Salad Bowl, Cali
Real Name
E
Business Location
United States
Actually, that's a great point Will.

I think what sets the AT apart is the Isuzu cab and short box. Most box trucks (around here anyway) look like your standard delivery trucks. I've personally seen Mikeys AT, and that thing is pure sex on wheels!

Also customers don't really care what machine you use to clean their carpet/floors, it's us fellow cleaners that would be in shock. Either way, once you can afford a AT (and need one), you can honestly tell yourself that you've made it. Jmo.