Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States
So I've recently had my AdWords campaign going and was doing reasonably well $3 for every $1 spent. Lately over past two weeks my views have skyrocketed from @200 a day to @2000 a day, my clicks went from @2 a day with 1 phone conversion to @10 a day and ZERO phone calls, so i switched from adwords express to adwords so i would have more control, cut out all the window shopping, kept the same ad, eliminated every thing except search engine view only. Now my ad is back down on views @700 today but still ZERO clicks and ZERO calls. Something smells fishy. Same ad that was getting clicks and calls now no clicks, no calls but @500-700 views a day. Any thoughts?
First I have to say Yikes!!!

I hate Google's Express. Some people swear by it. I don't like the limited control that it gives you. Anyway that was my little rant for Google Express...

Are your Adwords on the Display Network as well? If so, turn it off. Display Network will give you thousands of ad views and a few clicks but not a lot of returns.

If you don't have the Display Network turned on then I strongly recommend that you contact Google to have them take a look at your campaigns. Also getting Google Analytics put onto your website will show you where most of your views are coming from, how long they are on your website, and where they go on your website.

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
First I have to say Yikes!!!

I hate Google's Express. Some people swear by it. I don't like the limited control that it gives you. Anyway that was my little rant for Google Express...

Are your Adwords on the Display Network as well? If so, turn it off. Display Network will give you thousands of ad views and a few clicks but not a lot of returns.

If you don't have the Display Network turned on then I strongly recommend that you contact Google to have them take a look at your campaigns. Also getting Google Analytics put onto your website will show you where most of your views are coming from, how long they are on your website, and where they go on your website.
so i've been on the phone with google for the past hour. over in billing. there was some settings that needed tweaking. while yes i only picked one city near where i live, i thought i picked a 20 mile radius as well their system didn't have that, also their system was letting anyone anywhere do a search for carpet cleaning. we changed it so only people in that radius can do a search. i've had it on search only for about a week. so that eliminated that display mess. she also showed me how to start looking at individual keywords and how much it cost me for that keyword for the day so i can decide if i want to keep it or not. we added a couple of negative keywords and made a few other tweaks. so now we should be back to only people within 20 miles of me who are looking for service in this area and who live in this area will see my ad. lets see how that plays out.

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
so just did a quick look and over the past 30 days i have spent $130 advertising to people in jackson,ms. whom i didn't want to advertise to period. all because of some bad settings. advice for anyone setting up a adwords campaign. MAKE SURE YOU ONLY ADVERTISE TO WHO YOU WANT. get google on the phone to walk you through it the first time and explain in detail who you do and don't want to see your ad and how to eliminate window shopping. this will keep your costs down considerably.

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
so as of right now i'm at 362 views. 2 clicks. .55% click through rate and only spent $6.96. much much better. no new business but now i'm not hemorrhaging money either.

Reactions: Dragomir Tonchev

Dragomir Tonchev

Apr 6, 2013
Montana
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Dragomir Tonchev
Business Location
United States
so as of right now i'm at 362 views. 2 clicks. .55% click through rate and only spent $6.96. much much better. no new business but now i'm not hemorrhaging money either.
Sounds good. I am sure the CTR will get better soon. Next time you call Google, ask them about conversion optimizer. You don't qualify for it right now, but if you do one day and have it activated, things may get even better. I have talked to some PPC campaign managers that got some good results with it.

Good luck!

Reactions: awratchford

Dragomir Tonchev

Apr 6, 2013
Montana
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Dragomir Tonchev
Business Location
United States
No I don't thanks. Sorry for being confused and wasting your time.
I am sorry, buddy! May be I should have tried to better explain you this rather than giving you some links, but I thought my example was clear enough. Let me try again. Probably it's not gonna sound more different but...:
Let's say you have the keyword "carpet cleaning", (which you probably do) and if, only if you don't want your ad to show up for searches like "how to clean carpet", you need to put "how to" in your negative keywords list. It's really general said, because if your keyword "carpet cleaning" is set to exact match only, search like "how to clean carpet" should not make your ad to show up anyway, but I am stepping into completely different topic now about the terms of match type searches. If you want to check for what kind of searches, people have been clicking on your ad you can go on campaign level - keywords - segment - search terms match types. If you don't have any keywords. I am sure that you will see searches that you would not want to pay for. Hope this is more clear now!

Peace!

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
I am sorry, buddy! May be I should have tried to better explain you this rather than giving you some links, but I thought my example was clear enough. Let me try again. Probably it's not gonna sound more different but...:
Let's say you have the keyword "carpet cleaning", (which you probably do) and if, only if you don't want your ad to show up for searches like "how to clean carpet", you need to put "how to" in your negative keywords list. It's really general said, because if your keyword "carpet cleaning" is set to exact match only, search like "how to clean carpet" should not make your ad to show up anyway, but I am stepping into completely different topic now about the terms of match type searches. If you want to check for what kind of searches, people have been clicking on your ad you can go on campaign level - keywords - segment - search terms match types. If you don't have any keywords. I am sure that you will see searches that you would not want to pay for. Hope this is more clear now!

Peace!
I get it. I watched the video. I reread what you wrote. I just got it mixed up in my head.

'free' and 'how to' is hard to think of as negative keywords. To me, it's positive. My brain thinks like that and google making up a new language, word meanings and connotations.

It's all confusing at first.

A Cleaner Approach

Jun 21, 2014
Northwest Arkansas
www.acleanerapproach.com
Real Name
Tim McCullough
Business Location
United States
I just turned my adwords express OFF (inactive). If you are on Yellowpages.com and other good directories then that will start showing up on googles first page anyway. I just signed up for all the free "yellowpages" directories that I could (yellowbook, superpages, kudzu, etc...) Google loves to show Yelp pages also, so I definitely want to get listed there.