Advice for newbie | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Advice for newbie

Dec 7, 2017
Real Name
Ethan Wickersham
So, after lurking around this forum for some time, I've decided it's time to post and see if I can get some much needed advice.

I started in this industry in April and after a month of trial and error with marketing, I started to get really busy. I initially started out just using a CRB and dry compound. My business concept and name are centered around VLM/dry carpet cleaning. I learned to despise dry compound and the mess it made so I bought an Orbot Vibe to add to the mix. I've liked the performance of the Vibe, especially for commercial work, but find it difficult getting in and out of my mini van (needed for taking my son to daycare) when I'm working solo. I'm hoping to get a decent cargo van in the near future with more room and ease of loading/offloading equipment.

I'm starting to pick up a lot of apartment jobs and other trashed residential jobs where I think other methods could be more beneficial. I would like to add an additional piece of equipment for when flushing is needed.

I've been looking at the Steamin Demon and feel like it could do well for my business model when flushing is needed. Not sure if I'd want to use it on every job though. I know there's a lot of mixed reviews on the SD. It would be easy for me to handle when working solo, due to the light weight.

I also like the idea of having a strong portable, like a Jaguar 8.4, and have it for other uses (water damage, upholstery). However a portable would be harder for me to take in and out of the mini van, although I could possibly leave it in there to use as a TM.

Any of you VLM guys use a Steamin Demon or a portable on occasion and which one would you recommend? Thank you!

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Get the jaguar. Youll kick yourself if you cant reach water supply with the steamon demon. Youll get more use out of the portable. For one thing you can add rinse to the jag solution tank. Can hook up to faucet to auto fill. Can if necessary fill with bucket (small jobs). The steamondemon cannot. Youll need building water pressure and supply to work. And how far away is supply or janitorial closet? And if pump out fails on stemon demon youll be stuck. Jag can pump out and in event of failure. Can do the ole bucket brigade.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Its also easier cutting in around perimeter of the room using wand then that machine. See if you can demo the steamondemon. And youll see around door frames and wall where it missed. The idea is there but the machine is a pia. I hated it. I wouldnt sweat the weight issue. Jag’s not that heavy. If you cant lift it. Ramp it in. And also jag has the power on some jobs to be left on the van. Keep that in mind.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
IMHO the Steamin Demon is a tool that one acquires to get a specific job done quicker and easier i.e. a church or similar facility. It is great at that.

A portable can do anything the Steamin Demon can do, albeit not as quickly in some situations. However the opposite is not true. You can get a lot more done with a portable. Furniture, stairs, auto interiors etc.

Go with the portable unless you are solving a situation that needs the functionality of The Steamn Demon. It does not sound like you do.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Namco in houston has a scooter made for apts......roles up,the stairs on wheels.....
Also a light weight 175 will help....60 lbs.....better for trashed than a crb....

Namco also has 6000$ truckmounts that are easy to work on ...
Thats what I use.....
And upgrade.......
With all you have spent on orbot and crb ....5-6000$$$$
You could get a truckmount......

Dec 7, 2017
Real Name
Ethan Wickersham
Its also easier cutting in around perimeter of the room using wand then that machine. See if you can demo the steamondemon. And youll see around door frames and wall where it missed. The idea is there but the machine is a pia. I hated it. I wouldnt sweat the weight issue. Jag’s not that heavy. If you cant lift it. Ramp it in. And also jag has the power on some jobs to be left on the van. Keep that in mind.

Thank you for the input. In regards to cutting in around the perimeter, I already have that problem with the crb not being able to get filtration lines. The crb has been great in many ways, just want more tools in my arsenal.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Thank you for the input. In regards to cutting in around the perimeter, I already have that problem with the crb not being able to get filtration lines. The crb has been great in many ways, just want more tools in my arsenal.

Filtration is an issue for both. I use a hand brush and whatever prespray im using. Then tip wand back to jet the line and vac it off. They have a crevice tool for this. I have same issue when i do vlm. We still have to fight with the line against the base. I hear vacaway spot and boost knocks it out. But i cant say i never used it. A softer grout brush on stick would be nice. But the ones ive seen are too stiff and grab carpet.

Reactions: ethanwickersham
Dec 7, 2017
Real Name
Ethan Wickersham
Namco in houston has a scooter made for apts......roles up,the stairs on wheels.....
Also a light weight 175 will help....60 lbs.....better for trashed than a crb....

Namco also has 6000$ truckmounts that are easy to work on ...
Thats what I use.....
And upgrade.......
With all you have spent on orbot and crb ....5-6000$$$$
You could get a truckmount......

I'm mostly sold on the idea of a good portable, and the SD seems goofy and limited. With the crb, Vibe and a Jag I should be able to handle most any jobs. I'm not ready for a TM at this stage. I live in the Seattle area with many high rises and I'm able to charge a premium for these jobs.