Advice and considerations on setting my (small) van | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Advice and considerations on setting my (small) van

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
#1 before you spend a dime find out the axle load capacity. If you are going to be able to use it with your full water weight setup then order 3 complete new hubs, bearings and swap out the existing ones and carry a spare with everything in the box to change one roadside. Etrailer and other sites have these very affordably. Keep the weight loaded over the axle with very little tongue weight. Goodyear marathon tires are the best overall value I have found. Align the trailer even if single axle, I can direct you to a website with instructions on how to do it in the driveway in an hour, don't skip this step (it saves tires huge time). Mr Buddy heater between jobs, refill the disposable propane tanks from a bbq tank. Freeze them overnight before refilling.

Here's my trailer box, it's always under the backseat of the truck.
20191006_074916.jpg

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
REVISITING OLDER THREAD...
...because winter is coming in PA I need to be able to run jobs without worrying about water access as well as commercial jobs that I want to collect waste water in tank in interest of time and/or not having to run pump out hose inside or outside in winter...

So I happened to get my hands on a very small 4x6 enclosed trailer....thinking of the ideas above I'm starting to think maybe I can put my generator in there as well as a couple water tanks....

Regarding the fresh tank - would the gravity and weight of the water in the tank be sufficient to feed the water hog in my van which would (I think) have an upward flow from the fresh tank in my trailer?

Regarding the dump tank (pump out tank) - anyone know of a way to plumb the fiberglass? (Kristi mini trailer) trailer with plywood inside walls so that I can possibly get to job, have set length of hose (maybe 10') on QC to pop onto plumbed trailer fittings? Idea would be so the fittings would be coming out of the trailer but done well enough so they are tightly sealed keeping the water tightness fo the trailer in tact. Is this making sense to anyone out there?

Other notes: The trailer is small enough where I just might be able to get away with it and largely avoid the hassle factor of pulling a trailer. The Astro is small too so my overall footprint stays on the small side..

Other ideas? Think this can work?

Then, maybe have a small space heater maybe hooked up to a 12v battery in the trailer to avoid freezing while transporting to job...if necessary. Pie in the sky or realistic thoughts here?

Thank you!
Ive gravity fed a water otter with a 35 gal tank. It was kind of a pain. You had to prime it. You have to make sure everything is tight. Even if its no pressure under its own weight. If that pump finds a leak in your connections it will suck in air. If it bypasses back to tank its no big deal. But closed loop like the otter will hammer the pump. Its also hard to get pump below the tank level. The pump can lift water. But when i spoke to pumptec they advised not to. They said its best to use a pump to feed pressure pump or gravity at the least.

You say trailer is a 4x6? Whats the capacity on that? Dont forget youll want to spread out and balance your weight. Not just place tanks and equipment where they are convenient.
Generator can be used but youll need trailer open freezing your tanks. And defeating its purpose. Can you fit the gen on the tongue of trailer instead and bolt it down? But youll want to tarp and bungee it to protect as its being towed.

I installed pvc in the floor of my van with caps so i could drop cords and hoses out of. This way all doors stay shut. And interior stayed warm. Tank i wrapped in surplus wool blankets to keep water warm. But having to lift gen in and out was short lived.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
#1 before you spend a dime find out the axle load capacity. If you are going to be able to use it with your full water weight setup then order 3 complete new hubs, bearings and swap out the existing ones and carry a spare with everything in the box to change one roadside. Etrailer and other sites have these very affordably. Keep the weight loaded over the axle with very little tongue weight. Goodyear marathon tires are the best overall value I have found. Align the trailer even if single axle, I can direct you to a website with instructions on how to do it in the driveway in an hour, don't skip this step (it saves tires huge time). Mr Buddy heater between jobs, refill the disposable propane tanks from a bbq tank. Freeze them overnight before refilling.

Here's my trailer box, it's always under the backseat of the truck.
View attachment 87527
Lots of good stuff here.

First, and while I’m digesting....I would very much like to see the site you can suggest to align my single axle small trailer. This is new for me so makes sense have to start there..

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Check this out. This method works amazing well.

Reactions: Fedri

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Ive gravity fed a water otter with a 35 gal tank. It was kind of a pain. You had to prime it. You have to make sure everything is tight. Even if its no pressure under its own weight. If that pump finds a leak in your connections it will suck in air. If it bypasses back to tank its no big deal. But closed loop like the otter will hammer the pump. Its also hard to get pump below the tank level. The pump can lift water. But when i spoke to pumptec they advised not to. They said its best to use a pump to feed pressure pump or gravity at the least.

You say trailer is a 4x6? Whats the capacity on that? Dont forget youll want to spread out and balance your weight. Not just place tanks and equipment where they are convenient.
Generator can be used but youll need trailer open freezing your tanks. And defeating its purpose. Can you fit the gen on the tongue of trailer instead and bolt it down? But youll want to tarp and bungee it to protect as its being towed.

I installed pvc in the floor of my van with caps so i could drop cords and hoses out of. This way all doors stay shut. And interior stayed warm. Tank i wrapped in surplus wool blankets to keep water warm. But having to lift gen in and out was short lived.
It looks like my trailer GVW is 2000lbs since I have one axle.

Thinking ill check the axle for alignment like Jim suggested. If out of whack ill have figure out how to fix it.

All this because I can't imagine hose bibs all being operational in the PA winter plus for some commercial its big advantage if I have my own water...Im thinking.

1571099366022.jpeg

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
It looks like my trailer GVW is 2000lbs since I have one axle.

Thinking ill check the axle for alignment like Jim suggested. If out of whack ill have figure out how to fix it.

All this because I can't imagine hose bibs all being operational in the PA winter plus for some commercial its big advantage if I have my own water...Im thinking.

View attachment 87627
If it is 2000lbs GVW in the trailer in theory I can place the generator (200lbs +-) the diesel heater (200lbs +-) and both 75 fresh and 75 waste at 8lbs per gallon water. and still be under 2000lbs.

Then my Astro would be freed up big time for tools hose and filtration setup.

But the downside would be I would be pulling a trailer all the time which since its so small isn't really a pain in the ass but it is in some situations Im sure.

Anyone have thoughts further beyond this?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If it is 2000lbs GVW in the trailer in theory I can place the generator (200lbs +-) the diesel heater (200lbs +-) and both 75 fresh and 75 waste at 8lbs per gallon water. and still be under 2000lbs.

Then my Astro would be freed up big time for tools hose and filtration setup.

But the downside would be I would be pulling a trailer all the time which since its so small isn't really a pain in the ass but it is in some situations Im sure.

Anyone have thoughts further beyond this?
Hose bibs in winter i wouldnt use. Even the frost free ones. Each one is a surprise. Suprise i work or suprise im broke and you cant shut me off.
Believe it or not the smaller trailers are more a pia to back in then the longer ones. I have a 5x8. Nice because its no wider then my van. But it reacts quickly to the slightest touch of the steering wheel. It can get jacked up pretty quick. But like anything you get used to it and figure it out. If you can google map each job before hand and look at the driveway to the home. Some I cant even get a van down by itself. People like getting creative with snaking driveways. Dont know whats wrong with just making them straight lol.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Hose bibs in winter i wouldnt use. Even the frost free ones. Each one is a surprise. Suprise i work or suprise im broke and you cant shut me off.
Believe it or not the smaller trailers are more a pia to back in then the longer ones. I have a 5x8. Nice because its no wider then my van. But it reacts quickly to the slightest touch of the steering wheel. It can get jacked up pretty quick. But like anything you get used to it and figure it out. If you can google map each job before hand and look at the driveway to the home. Some I cant even get a van down by itself. People like getting creative with snaking driveways. Dont know whats wrong with just making them straight lol.
So then it seems clear that in freezing PA winter a carpet cleaner should be carrying water.

Seems like a major PIA to get water from a sink inside not only for perception but also because faucets these days always seem to be funky that don't connect to garden hose.

So you are carrying water too then and do you do that only in winter?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
So then it seems clear that in freezing PA winter a carpet cleaner should be carrying water.

Seems like a major PIA to get water from a sink inside not only for perception but also because faucets these days always seem to be funky that don't connect to garden hose.

So you are carrying water too then and do you do that only in winter?
I stopped cleaning this year. But i just brought a portable into the house in winter. My water otter is on a pressure washer cart to make moving it around easier. Its tough finding water supply in each home. Your regulars youll know if you can tap off their sink. I know your right a lot of sinks have that funny well type faucet that just pours water. Laundry most have stacked machines so cant get to that one either. Shower head adapter is another option. But it involves unscrewing their shower head. Empty home who cares. But in someones house they might get mad about that. I agree carrying your water solves alot of this. But creates its own issues. Like weight, freezing, and refilling. Ide use agricultural tank. They can be strapped down and are thicker. Some even have baffles to prevent sloshing.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I stopped cleaning this year. But i just brought a portable into the house in winter. My water otter is on a pressure washer cart to make moving it around easier. Its tough finding water supply in each home. Your regulars youll know if you can tap off their sink. I know your right a lot of sinks have that funny well type faucet that just pours water. Laundry most have stacked machines so cant get to that one either. Shower head adapter is another option. But it involves unscrewing their shower head. Empty home who cares. But in someones house they might get mad about that. I agree carrying your water solves alot of this. But creates its own issues. Like weight, freezing, and refilling. Ide use agricultural tank. They can be strapped down and are thicker. Some even have baffles to prevent sloshing.
stopped cleaning? Are you involved with anything now?

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I called a carwash today they have 55 gallon drums I'm going to scope them out see if they can be useful in some way..

Reactions: keep it clean

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Even something like this, strapped down in my small trailer.

Add a pump to get water to my water hog and a Mr buddy heater like Jim said for transport for insurance against freezing. (or when its parked)

I can only fit either my van or the trailer in the garage not both..hmmm

1571153061450.png

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
stopped cleaning? Are you involved with anything now?
Lol oh yeah never ending. I install flooring, paint, now drywall dont tell anybody, framing, mild electric, property maintenance sometimes. Still clean for a few customers though.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Even something like this, strapped down in my small trailer.

Add a pump to get water to my water hog and a Mr buddy heater like Jim said for transport for insurance against freezing. (or when its parked)

I can only fit either my van or the trailer in the garage not both..hmmm

View attachment 87632
Yes. I got mine from plasimart i think. No i got it from Tractor supply co.