Advertising, such thing as to much?

Discussion in 'Carpet Cleaning Marketing' started by Predict, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Predict

Predict Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I'm in my first year of the business. My advertising so far is Google ads and Google maps roughly around 750$ month and it usually doesn't hit the max budget. I live in a town of 70k people with maybe dozen other carpet cleaners. I worry about over advertising. Is there such thing? Spending more on advertising than there are of people to see it?

I've been looking at advertising in a local coupon book and Costco but I worry about it not paying off because of the lack of population and the amount of CC. If I spend $2000 on advertising on a good source will it always pay off? I'm kinda paranoid and curious if anyone has any experience with advertising and taking a loss or if it's always worth it.

2. PistolPete

PistolPete Active Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Experimentation and tracking.
    Run a test ad and see how it performs before going all out on it.
    Start gathering competitors ads (cut out of magazines, coupon books etc.) and see what they repeat.
    The only thing that is too much is how much you spend. No guarantees on anything and you can burn money quick if there is zero return.
    The general rule is if a test ad pulls, then increase it.
    Some ads have a lifespan, they work well at first but then slow down. Some can run forever. There are several guys locally who run the same ad all the time. It must be working.
    Test offers, coupons, prices etc.
    Good luck, this is the hardest part! But when you crack it, it will pay off like a vending machine: 4:1 ROI and higher
    BTW, I haven't cracked it yet!

3. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,618 / 84 / -0
    Advertising too much? Sure if it is bringing in more jobs than you can handle.

I would be more worried wasting too much money on bad advertising.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. aloha one

aloha one Scrub a DUB DUB!

Feb 17, 2009
    Male
    Semi retired
    California
    Ratings:
    +21,756 / 106 / -0
    Coupon books, Local media, before internet popularity all I used. Costo? please elaborate. With a town of 70,000 might want to look into EDDM.
    Town that small...support your local teams & charities, goes a long way...You'll become the man to Go To.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Predict

Predict Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Costco has advertising by the exit as you leave. They allow four people to hang their sign on the wall. What's eddm?

6. aloha one

aloha one Scrub a DUB DUB!

Feb 17, 2009
    Male
    Semi retired
    California
    Ratings:
    +21,756 / 106 / -0
    Don't waste your $ on Costco unless it's free! EDDM is direct targeted mail thru the Post Office. Search it here on TMF you should find a lot of info.

7. Ken Raddon

Ken Raddon Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Male
    Owner/Operator
    UT
    Ratings:
    +1,336 / 8 / -0
    Mr. Barnum once said "half of my advertising really pays off. I just don't know what half." If you have something that works work it and don't spend too much time or money worrying about new places to advertise. Pick one new thing a year and go ahead and throw around $500 at it and see if it works. I just needs to be quantifiable so you can increase it or eliminate it asap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. shane deubell

Premium VIP

May 8, 2006
    Male
    Ratings:
    +17,696 / 83 / -5
    Yeah we can do too much of one thing sometimes.

I would continue to become diverse as everybody absorbs information differently and we want to hit them all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. ColoradoCleaner

ColoradoCleaner Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Male
    Denver, CO
    Ratings:
    +3,038 / 39 / -0
    It just all depends on if you're getting the return on your investment, plain and simple. What you want to do is experiment with small amounts of money and different ideas and then when you find something that works ramp it up big league...

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Mrs.SpeedySteamer Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Apr 26, 2012
    Female
    Business Branding
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Ratings:
    +4,042 / 4 / -0
    Don't put all your eggs in one basket. We learned the hard way with this philosophy.

Who defines the good source? We spent well over 2k on a "good source" and only received two leads. Diversify. Spending $750 per month on Adwords can be good. First do you have your Google Adwords setup to receive the most from your money? Are you using negative keywords? You can setup your Google Adwords to not pay as much and spend money elsewhere.

On the other hand we spent $0 on a lead and received a client that paid us over 45k.

Setup a great referral program for your current clients. Market to your current clients. Build client retention. That is what the goal should be after you've been in business for at least six months.

Good Luck!
    ~Tiffany

11. Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Staff Member Moderator

Apr 26, 2012
    Female
    Business Branding
    Ratings:
    +4,042 / 4 / -0
    One more thing... Also if you're using Adwords - make sure you're sending your clients to a good squeeze page.

For example:

Adwords Ad: $99 3 Rooms + Hall Cleaning

But you send them to your website homepage that doesn't say anything about this special. Some may call and find out about the special. Others will move on to the next carpet cleaner.

Instead create a squeeze page for your Adwords (don't forget to track those numbers). Simple squeeze page - The offer you're pointing the prospective client to and a means to contact you.

12. the rugman

the rugman Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Male
    CLEANING FOOL!
    Warwick, NY
    Ratings:
    +1,548 / 2 / -0
    As long as you track your ads then no! Issue is - most small companies don't have a clue what is paying off and what isn't. Very true with adwords. As mentioned above - make sure you send your ads to a squeeze page - I would even use a tracking phone # as well. I have spoken to many people that tell me they have no clue as to how much their adwords brings - they don't know if if it's losing money or making money.
    EDDM would be a great media for you in a small town. issue is - you have to commit! You can't do it once. Maybe a coupon code or a coupon that needs to be handed in to get the deal so you could track that as well.
    See - the word tracking comes up often!!!!!

13. Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP

Apr 23, 2013
    Male
    Windsor, California
    Ratings:
    +20,768 / 81 / -0
    Best answer...
    Don't be afraid to try different things...
    Just make sure you track ROI on every single ad venue.
    I've had great return on many things that these youngsters here swear are useless...

You don't know until you try and you can't learn until you track...

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Predict

Predict Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I agree to the idea. But I don't want people from out of town calling and trying to claim that good deal I'd give to a person in town. And I can't say we charge more for out of town service because they call someone else who lives near them.

15. Predict

Predict Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Google ad and map have their own # for customers to call then forward to my number. They do that so they can keep track how things are going. I really hate the idea of the customer not having my actual number because all they see is Google # for forwarding. Is this what all you who use Google ads do?

16. the rugman

the rugman Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Male
    CLEANING FOOL!
    Warwick, NY
    Ratings:
    +1,548 / 2 / -0
    If your ad is set to the proper Geo location that won't be an issue

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Staff Member Moderator

Apr 26, 2012
    Female
    Business Branding
    Ratings:
    +4,042 / 4 / -0
    Exactly...

You probably haven't setup your Adwords correctly across the board, not just Geo location. I recommend watching some Youtube videos on how to setup a good Google Adwords campaign. Those videos will help save you money.

Nope... Google Ads will show the number that you provide... However, I don't believe you can put your phone number within the ads anymore, but I may be incorrect. But you can put them in an ad extension.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JRP

JRP New Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    over exposure is only an issue for massive multi billion dollar companies. If you are a local solo entrepreneur, there is NO SUCH THING as over exposure

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Predict

Predict Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I'm worried about over exposure as to much into Google ads for my area. Or say Google ads, yelp, Angie's list, coupon book, or just trying to hard maybe be waste of money.

20. Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP

Apr 23, 2013
    Male
    Windsor, California
    Ratings:
    +20,768 / 81 / -0
    Makes no sense.
    I can tell by this post, yer a newb in business...
    Advertising is all about ROI, regardless of the size of the company

• Agree Agree x 1