Additional Charges | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Additional Charges

Hoss4x4

Sep 25, 2011
Real Name
Dennis Graham
Business Location
United States
What are special items you guys charge for? We have a $25 charge if we need to bring our own water. We have a 35 gallon water tank in the van. We also charge $25 if we need to use our Generator if the house has no power. Just wanting to get other ideas to make sure we are not missing out.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
What are special items you guys charge for? We have a $25 charge if we need to bring our own water. We have a 35 gallon water tank in the van. We also charge $25 if we need to use our Generator if the house has no power. Just wanting to get other ideas to make sure we are not missing out.
Nothing like that. If a job has a tough setup or is particularly soiled, it will be reflected in the charge per foot but I never discuss the minutiae of my pricing structure with the client.

P10der

Jan 16, 2015
Real Name
Guy
I have a 100 gallons of water on Board. I get free water at a few apartment complexs I work with. I try to keep additional charges to a minimum. If place has no power I just use my wand no rotary.

Hoss4x4

Sep 25, 2011
Real Name
Dennis Graham
Business Location
United States
I am referring to cleaning services only.

Cleaning Concierge

Jul 13, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Real Name
Barrett Wiley
Business Location
United States
Hazardous cleaning... (Feces./urine)

Hauling of debris/junk removal

Use of ladders

Cleaning of Appliances

Is $25 a profitable amount for you? Can it be more?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
IMO..charging for things like Water & Power is Nickle and Diming to the MAX..Usually it all averages out. Dangerous ground there so far as losing potential long time clients..All it will take is the next guy Not Charging for those things and then make a mockery of your add on charges ..Like I would..Seriously.. Now they're my customer..all about averages..some good,some Great & some not so good.

Reactions: sleepy smurf

Cleaning Concierge

Jul 13, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Real Name
Barrett Wiley
Business Location
United States
This is on residential house cleaning. Different ball game. You can hit them with a convenience charge to clean without utilities.

It's a major inconvenience to clean a house without utilities when doing house cleaning. Besides it can blow the time allotted for the job out of the window.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: bob_rugratz

Hoss4x4

Sep 25, 2011
Real Name
Dennis Graham
Business Location
United States
We do alot of Rental turn overs. Most of our customers find that the power and water charge is alot less then them turning on the power and water. It is seperate due to the time it takes to fill the tank and haul water not including our cost per hour to run the genset. In terms of profitable. Not really. I wanted to cover our additonal cost which it does do.

Reactions: aloha one

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
We do alot of Rental turn overs. Most of our customers find that the power and water charge is alot less then them turning on the power and water. It is seperate due to the time it takes to fill the tank and haul water not including our cost per hour to run the genset. In terms of profitable. Not really. I wanted to cover our additonal cost which it does do.
Oh.. the property managers! Bend em Over Hoss man!

Reactions: bob_rugratz

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
normally no I put everything in price. I do point out urine removal effected the price. But your dealing with mostly pm's then yea you gotta watch your back, if you are already running on a lower margin for them then anything that takes up your time and resources is gonna hurt your profit. I don't blame you on that one. Red stains, gum if more than a few pieces. Urine for sure. Repairs is where you will pick up a significant amount cleaning for pm's that is actual profit. dont forget the hard surfaces. I know guys that do everything. walls, light bulbs, caulking tubs, mowing. you name it. be competitive with whoever else he is using for these things and you become a one stop shop. one call does it all. which is a huge draw for them..

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
normally no I put everything in price. I do point out urine removal effected the price. But your dealing with mostly pm's then yea you gotta watch your back, if you are already running on a lower margin for them then anything that takes up your time and resources is gonna hurt your profit. I don't blame you on that one. Red stains, gum if more than a few pieces. Urine for sure. Repairs is where you will pick up a significant amount cleaning for pm's that is actual profit. dont forget the hard surfaces. I know guys that do everything. walls, light bulbs, caulking tubs, mowing. you name it. be competitive with whoever else he is using for these things and you become a one stop shop. one call does it all. which is a huge draw for them..
MY first 20 years in Biz, ALL I did was property management work (apartments) I targeted older buildings that had water pipes running under the slabs since I know that's where many times I attempted to be that 1 stop shop and was never successful was actually a labor nightmare. Very difficult to compete with the Asians who would bring in the whole Fam damnly to do the work super Cheap. After 20 years I threw in the towel and went strictly. residential & commercial and never looked back. Other issues with property managers are (many) of them have no loyalty, will drop you over a dime savings, treat you like a third world slave and frequently move around a lot causing you to lose the work when the new managers come in and bring along their own vendors.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
If put premium gas on the truck I charge 1cent more
If I use a hydraforce I charge 2 cents more
if I have to park on the street and not on the driveway I charge 3 cents more
if I have a helper I charge 4 cents more
If I have to push the wand 5 cents more
If I have to run more than 3 hoses 20 cents more
and so on. It si not my fault that the client does not wanna clean it himself. I fhe wants me in his home sweating like a pig he must pay.

Oh I forgot I also charge for the use of my hoses separately.

MAU CORNEJO

Feb 1, 2012
ESTADO DE DE MEXICO
Real Name
MAURICIO CORNEJO
Business Location
United States
I think that it's better the Prosteam price management.
Because if it's an often problem or situation the ones you said it's better to change (higher) your price per sf or room, if it's not an often problem you just absorb the cost of that without any additional charge and you will look great to that kind of clients you will have more referrals.
Like all the companies in some services you have a superb profit service in others just a normal profit, It's hard to be in each service charging something extra and like I said before looks like you are just trying to charge extra for everything, looks kind of cheap.
In this life anybody wants to do something for free, when you do it the people respect and love that, and they will be yours forever.

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
If put premium gas on the truck I charge 1cent more
If I use a hydraforce I charge 2 cents more
if I have to park on the street and not on the driveway I charge 3 cents more
if I have a helper I charge 4 cents more
If I have to push the wand 5 cents more
If I have to run more than 3 hoses 20 cents more
and so on. It si not my fault that the client does not wanna clean it himself. I fhe wants me in his home sweating like a pig he must pay.

Oh I forgot I also charge for the use of my hoses separately.
Business is hard as it is, why business owners insist on complicating it further is beyond me.

MAU CORNEJO

Feb 1, 2012
ESTADO DE DE MEXICO
Real Name
MAURICIO CORNEJO
Business Location
United States
Business is hard as it is, why business owners insist on complicating it further is beyond me.
For example in Mexico a lot of my competitors charge for a demo, they hate to give a free demo, I give free demos all the time and I won really big commercial clients to them, maybe some of them could clean better than us but they are so greedy that the client feels it will be so much trouble to hire them because they charge for anything. "They don't see the ocean after the water drop"
They charged $100 dls for a demo and they lost a 4 times year client that gives me $20,000 dls. Like my wife says: "The greedy or cheap person at the end pays double" I hope I translated well.

Reactions: astrikingimage

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
For example in Mexico a lot of my competitors charge for a demo, they hate to give a free demo, I give free demos all the time and I won really big commercial clients to them, maybe some of them could clean better than us but they are so greedy that the client feels it will be so much trouble to hire them because they charge for anything. "They don't see the ocean after the water drop"
They charged $100 dls for a demo and they lost a 4 times year client that gives me $20,000 dls. Like my wife says: "The greedy or cheap person at the end pays double" I hope I translated well.
Especially dealing with rich ass white looking Mexicans, they're the worst. They're all here right now, on ski vacation, don't know how you deal with them.

owenscott

Aug 6, 2009
Friggin Cold Upstate NY
Real Name
Stop snoopin u homo
Business Location
United States
Perfect translation. I also agree.

Reactions: MAU CORNEJO

MAU CORNEJO

Feb 1, 2012
ESTADO DE DE MEXICO
Real Name
MAURICIO CORNEJO
Business Location
United States
Especially dealing with rich ass white looking Mexicans, they're the worst. They're all here right now, on ski vacation, don't know how you deal with them.
I had in all this years three Mexicans employees that worked in carpet cleaning companies in the USA like Stanley steamer or coit, they had serious problems adjusting their work to Mexico because they said that the clients in the USA are easier than here the carpet are almost destroy when they call you with very heavy soil.
In Mexico the average client cleaned their carpet 6 or 7 years ago so it's extremely dirty, but they want it like new after you clean. In the USA I think they are used to have a better maintenance.
They also said its a lot more difficult to satisfy the Mexican Client. They want it completely dry with any stain doesn't matter if it has 7 years that stain.
And the rich people here it's use to say something and you need to just say yes and obey it's difficult to negotiate with them, they think they only have the true and know better. They don't give you another chance if you make a mistake.
In resume a lot of the rich people here it's prepotent.
That's why I prefer to charge really high or you are lost.

Reactions: Jose Holguin

kvnbrow900

Jan 3, 2012
Chesapeake Virginia
Real Name
kevin brown
Business Location
United States
I have no set price for extras. If it's gonna cost me more time or whatever I charge accordingly. But I do try to charge top dollar. Always harder to go up in price than to go down.