Adding on a urine job?

cleanerguy

Oct 6, 2008
Erie,PA
Real Name
RonRieger
Let's say that you go to do a job,
3 rooms and the homeowner tells you the basement room 12' x 12' smells like cat pee.

If it requires some bacteria\enzyme work.
How do you tell the home owner that there will be an additional charge with out them flipping out.

Do you charge more for just a heavy spray treatment?
What if you pull out the water claw?

What do you typicaly charge for it?
I get he feeling that some folks think that this is part of the cleaning.

Thanks

James L.

Oct 9, 2017
Real Name
James Langley
In that situation you must be able to explain to the customer about why cat pee smells the way it does, what procedures and what chemicals will solve the problem, and why you charge extra for it. You also need to investigate with a black light, and if possible pull the carpet back to determine the extent of the problem... is it in the backing, into the subfloor, etc. Are you experienced in treating pet urine issues? In my opinion this is NOT part of regular carpet cleaning because of the different chems, techniques, and extra time it takes to effectively deal with the issue. If the problem is severe enough where a significant area of the backing is affected I charge $125 an hour to address it, with a minimum of $50.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Situations like this is why I always like to inspect a job before giving a price. It allows me to educate the client on what needs to be done and why. Then I give a price when they and I know what is going to be done.

Reactions: Prime

Grn Steamer

Dec 5, 2014
Real Name
Matt R
I ALWAYS ask if they have "any particular concerns" and if they have any kids or pets...or if there might be any pet spots. If I get there agter all that and there's urine, it's going to be their fault not mine.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Many do believe it is just a matter of cleaning it as you would other areas. Just explain to them briefly the extent of steps necessary to rid them of the odor before giving price. Most are understanding. But there will be the few that just dont get it.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke