Adding an OP

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
If I’m doing an area of a home that I’m just gonna VLM I scrub with the swing machine the throw the Ironman bonnets on it and pad it down.
That works good as well and you only need one machine instead of two. You can't put a bonnet on a CRB.

But on certain carpet types I like the CRB better then a 175 swing machine.

So i'd CRB then use a bonnet on an OP machine

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
If I’m doing an area of a home that I’m just gonna VLM I scrub with the swing machine the throw the Ironman bonnets on it and pad it down.
A 175 and Ironman Bonnet does a great job with VLM.

I have a 13'' Hawk 175-300 and love it but I prefer a OP for occupied residential.

I mostly use the 175-300 when doing rentals. Usually use a CRB first then a Iron man on the 175-300.

You don't realize how slow a 175 is until you use 300.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
I'm about to switch 175's my current one is 100 pounds, i'm considering getting a koblenz 17 inch that weighs 82 pounds.
or they have a 13 inch that weighs 61 pounds but the motor is not as strong 13 inch has a 3/4 hp motor 17 inch has 1.5 hp motor

Gotta do what i can to save my back, every little bit helps
not in my 20's anymore, i just hit 60

Timothyscarpet

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
20210407_094511.jpg
20210407_101603.jpg
20210407_102356.jpg
Some Nasty nylon berber...hwe did amazing black label prespray boosted with citrus zyme and a little unchained. Rinsed with procyon powder plus and followed up with my 13 in and some iron man bonnets. Next time I am ordering 15in bonnets to have some edge to work with.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I'm about to switch 175's my current one is 100 pounds, i'm considering getting a koblenz 17 inch that weighs 82 pounds.
or they have a 13 inch that weighs 61 pounds but the motor is not as strong 13 inch has a 3/4 hp motor 17 inch has 1.5 hp motor

Gotta do what i can to save my back, every little bit helps
not in my 20's anymore, i just hit 60

Isn't 17'' too big for residential and 82 pounds is not light.
I have a 13'' and love it.
Not sure what size motor it has or the weight.

But I hated carrying the 13'' up and down stairs. Same with the Challenger. Those damn small wheels. Challenger is 68 pounds.

That's why I love my Odyssey. 60 pounds with 8'' wheels, goes up and down easily. Fast, quiet and aggressive !!!

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin

But I hated carrying the 13'' up and down stairs. Same with the Challenger. Those damn small wheels. Challenger is 68 pounds.

That's why I love my Odyssey. 60 pounds with 8'' wheels, goes up and down easily. Fast, quiet and aggressive !!!
17 inch is all i've ever used to be honest, actually 15 inch would probably be the sweet spot. But i've never had a problem with the 17 inch even in residential
Its just used for traffic area's anyway, but when i get an empty house the 17 inch is nice to have

your right, 82 pounds is not light but my current one is like 105 pounds that 25 pounds will make a difference for me

I may still go with the koblenz 13 inch at only 61 pounds, still trying to decide.

But an 8 pound difference between challenger and odyssey is not even worth discussing, the bigger wheels for pulling up steps yes that is a big plus

But i have no problems carrying the challenger up steps anyway, it does have a handle on the base and 68 pounds is not that bad.

Besides, thats what a helper is for if need be.

I'm gonna keep the challenger for now but as for the 175 machine I will either get a 17 inch 82 pound or 13 inch 61 pound

I just don't want to end up regretting not getting the 17 inch if i go with the 13 inch

of course i can keep my current 17 inch to use when i get an empty, and use the 13 inch for everything else.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin

Well here's an update, i have purchased the 13 inch koblenz rotary, weighs 61 pounds, piece of cake to load and unload

bought a 14 inch pad driver and two carpet brushes both with shower feed one is a 12 inch, the other is a 15 inch so had to put a riser on it but it also has a glide so machine has no problem spinning it. Also put a solution tank on it.

I did also sell my challenger, sold it for only $50 less then i paid for it so i didn't really lose anything on that as i did get some use out of it

And yesterday my odyssey got delivered, so other then playing around with it in my house a little it hasn't been on a real job yet.

So now I have to see which pads and size work best with it, pad driver is 13 inch so i figure 15inch pads as far as size goes.

I have super zorb pads that i use on the vibe but they are too big and i don't think they make them any smaller then 19 inch that i can find

Bonnet pro iron man pads are good and they make them in different sizes

I have some other pads that i used with the challenger but they are too thin for my liking on the odyssey, they were fine on the challenger cause it has a different pad driver on it

So what are you using and like the best. I will use micro fiber both with and without scrub strips but i also want cotton and or cotton blend ones as well

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Congrats. Your all set for VLM. Vibe, 13'' Rotary, and Odyssey.

First I would recommend you join Trinity Machine Owners Facebook Group. A lot of good info on there for Odyssey.

Bonnets I like 17'' or larger for Odyssey. Micro or Cotton.

Cotton I like Trinity Gladiators the best. I use the 21''. I think the 15'' are too small for Odyssey.

Ironman grab too much on some carpets.

I haven't tried Superzorbs on Odyssey.

Ironman are best for Rotary.

I use a lot of 17'' light blue micro with Odyssey.

I CRB first and then extract with Odyssey

Only problem with Odyssey is sometimes it will bog down. If that happens make sure carpet and pads are wet enough.

If that isn't the problem it's needs more juice. Try a different electrical outlet usually in a different room or try turning off lights that room.

Last edited:

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Well here's an update, i have purchased the 13 inch koblenz rotary, weighs 61 pounds, piece of cake to load and unload

bought a 14 inch pad driver and two carpet brushes both with shower feed one is a 12 inch, the other is a 15 inch so had to put a riser on it but it also has a glide so machine has no problem spinning it. Also put a solution tank on it.

I did also sell my challenger, sold it for only $50 less then i paid for it so i didn't really lose anything on that as i did get some use out of it

And yesterday my odyssey got delivered, so other then playing around with it in my house a little it hasn't been on a real job yet.

So now I have to see which pads and size work best with it, pad driver is 13 inch so i figure 15inch pads as far as size goes.

I have super zorb pads that i use on the vibe but they are too big and i don't think they make them any smaller then 19 inch that i can find

Bonnet pro iron man pads are good and they make them in different sizes

I have some other pads that i used with the challenger but they are too thin for my liking on the odyssey, they were fine on the challenger cause it has a different pad driver on it

So what are you using and like the best. I will use micro fiber both with and without scrub strips but i also want cotton and or cotton blend ones as well
How are you doing steps ???

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
How are you doing steps ???
I like the CRB OP 1-2 punch
So i like to CRB 1st
Then vacuum
Pre spray--run CRB
finish with OP to extract
will try different types of pads for extraction till i decide which works best

Tg
There may be some variations to the above depending on type of carpet and soil load

Reactions: Timothyscarpet

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I tried Oreck on steps a few times but didn't like it. I prefer the 10'' CRB and Stepson combo.

I don't have any back or knee problems so kneeling isn't a problem.

I think you have a 10'' CRB. If you run into problems on steps use the 10'' CRB with that short handle to scrub and then extract with Oreck.

10'' CRB does the best job scrubbing steps. Take your time and let machine do it's job. The steps should be clean when your done scrubbing. Your just extracting with Oreck.

If steps are bad sometimes I will use some Bonnet Pro No Rinse Spotter as I'm using CRB.

Sometimes you will need a brush or grout brush along walls/crevices.

I usually go over steps by hand with a 13'' microfiber bonnet as last step.

That's what works best for me. I'm just trying to help and save you some frustration.

Steps were my biggest problem when I first started VLM. I tried everything but using the 10'' CRB with short handle was the game changer for me.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
I tried Oreck on steps a few times but didn't like it. I prefer the 10'' CRB and Stepson combo.

I don't have any back or knee problems so kneeling isn't a problem.

I think you have a 10'' CRB. If you run into problems on steps use the 10'' CRB with that short handle to scrub and then extract with Oreck.

10'' CRB does the best job scrubbing steps. Take your time and let machine do it's job. The steps should be clean when your done scrubbing. Your just extracting with Oreck.

If steps are bad sometimes I will use some Bonnet Pro No Rinse Spotter as I'm using CRB.

Sometimes you will need a brush or grout brush along walls/crevices.

I usually go over steps by hand with a 13'' microfiber bonnet as last step.

That's what works best for me. I'm just trying to help and save you some frustration.

Steps were my biggest problem when I first started VLM. I tried everything but using the 10'' CRB with short handle was the game changer for me.
Yeah a 10 CRB would be great for steps, maybe that will be my next purchase.

When i use my oreck with black brush for steps i start at the top and work my way down, its very easy and no bending at all, not that I have a problem with bending

It does a good job, but I only use it for agitation on steps on a HWE job then its the stair tool for rinse and extract.

I still have not till this day had to do a VLM job that involved steps