Adding an OP | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Adding an OP

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
The eco 17 is pretty awesome. It has an on board spray gun only option so I can mix 3 gal of rtu at a time plug it in, prespray, then throw a pad on and agitate all with 1 machine.
Yeah that's a nice feature to have but if your going to use the machine for pre spray and agitation then you might as well just spray and agitate at the same time using the spray jets on the machine itself

Timothyscarpet

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
Yeah that's a nice feature to have but if your going to use the machine for pre spray and agitation then you might as well just spray and agitate at the same time using the spray jets on the machine itself
Yeah I followed up with that technique just to keep the pad moist, my theory was to let the pre spray dwell a bit before agitation, I'm sure either way would get good results. Either way I did the full clean on 1600 ft in about 3 hrs that was with pre vac and a post bonnet.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Yeah I followed up with that technique just to keep the pad moist, my theory was to let the pre spray dwell a bit before agitation, I'm sure either way would get good results. Either way I did the full clean on 1600 ft in about 3 hrs that was with pre vac and a post bonnet.
Well that's cool then if you wanted to give it some dwel time 1st, helps not having to bring in a separate sprayer

Reactions: Timothyscarpet

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Bought a Trinity Odyssey. It's a Wheels Up 13'' OP for residential. I do a lot of small houses with small rooms. This will be perfect for that.

CRB first then OP.

Tired of carrying 13'' 175-300 or Challenger up and down steps.
You can't see them in pic but it has 8'' wheels and goes up and down stairs easily. Weighs 60 pounds.

Resized_20210302_110517.jpg

Last edited:

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Anybody using Super-Cap ???

I like it for residential carpet. Leaves carpet fibers nice and soft and it has the Unchained Fresh Clean Scent/Smell and Peroxide for stains and brightening

Excellent for berber and light colored carpet !!!

Fast shipping and each gallon lid taped and wrapped to prevent leaks.

Resized_20210318_140609.jpeg

Last edited:

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Bought a Trinity Odyssey. It's a Wheels Up 13'' OP for residential. I do a lot of small houses with small rooms. This will be perfect for that.

CRB first then OP.

Tired of carrying 13'' 175-300 or Challenger up and down steps.
You can't see them in pic but it has 8'' wheels and goes up and down stairs easily. Weighs 60 pounds.

View attachment 95975
I just recently picked up a challenger, guy i bought it from bought it new and used it like 5 times.

He has a auto detailing business and was going to branch out into carpet cleaning then decided not to so i got it for $1200 along with 10 new cotton bonnets, 5 of which were used once only.

I wanted something better then the little oreck orbital but not as heavy as my orbit vibe or my 175 rotary to go along withy 15 Inch CRB

I think it weighs only like 60 pounds .

But that Odyssey looks like a nice machine, what did you pay for it.

TomKelly

Mar 26, 2021
Real Name
Tom Kelly
im thinking about adding this to my setup, how much did it cost?

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I bought it from Excellent Supply but it's not on their website. Call or email Tanoah. She is very nice.

[email protected]
1-800-330-1888

I paid $2030 with free shipping and you get 2 microfiber bonnets and a gallon of DS2.

It's a wheels up OP like the Challenger. Wheels up can be a problem with some carpets. I guess you know since you used Challenger. Old tight nylon seems to be the worst. Wheels OP up just grabs some nylon carpet too much especially when using cotton. That's why I use a lot of light blue microfiber.

It's more aggressive and faster than Challenger. Goes up and down steps easily. Weighs 60 pounds.

I'm mostly using light blue microfibers after I CRB but for cotton the 21'' Glad Pad works best. They make a 15'' Glad Pad but it's too small. 17'' bonnets are perfect size for Odyssey. I tried a Iron Man one time but it was grabbing too much.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
I bought it from Excellent Supply but it's not on their website. Call or email Tanoah. She is very nice.

[email protected]
1-800-330-1888

I paid $2030 with free shipping and you get 2 microfiber bonnets and a gallon of DS2.

It's a wheels up OP like the Challenger. Wheels up can be a problem with some carpets. I guess you know since you used Challenger. Old tight nylon seems to be the worst. Wheels OP up just grabs some nylon carpet too much especially when using cotton. That's why I use a lot of light blue microfiber.

It's more aggressive and faster than Challenger. Goes up and down steps easily. Weighs 60 pounds.

I'm mostly using light blue microfibers after I CRB but for cotton the 21'' Glad Pad works best. They make a 15'' Glad Pad but it's too small. 17'' bonnets are perfect size for Odyssey. I tried a Iron Man one time but it was grabbing too much.
Yes a wheels up OP can be a problem on some carpets, but mostly with cotton bonnets, Iron man pads do grab alot microfiber ones are easier to control the machine on

Challenger has disc's that you put on the center of the bonnet between the bonnet and the carpet, you get less cleaning area on the pad but it helps it run more smoothly
Maybe you can try them, they are cheap to buy and come in a set of three different ones

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I know what gliders are. I used them on Challenger

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I just recently picked up a challenger, guy i bought it from bought it new and used it like 5 times.

He has a auto detailing business and was going to branch out into carpet cleaning then decided not to so i got it for $1200 along with 10 new cotton bonnets, 5 of which were used once only.

I wanted something better then the little oreck orbital but not as heavy as my orbit vibe or my 175 rotary to go along withy 15 Inch CRB

I think it weighs only like 60 pounds .

But that Odyssey looks like a nice machine, what did you pay for it.
Trust me on this.

Buy a Odyssey. It is a game changer for VLM residential carpet cleaning.

The more I use Odyssey and understand how to use it. The better it gets.

Call or email Tanoah at Excellent Supply

[email protected]
1-800-330-1888

After you buy Odyssey order Super-Cap from TMF Store for residential. Use the DS2 that you get with the Odyssey for commercial.

I've never used Super-Cap on trashed carpet so I don't know how it would do. For your typical residential soiling it works great and smells good.

17'' or larger bonnets work best on Odyssey. I like the 21'' Glad Pads on Odyssey. They run smooth !!

Last edited:

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Trust me on this.

Buy a Odyssey. It is a game changer for VLM residential carpet cleaning.

The more I use Odyssey and understand how to use it. The better it gets.

Call or email Tanoah at Excellent Supply

[email protected]
1-800-330-1888

After you buy Odyssey order Super-Cap from TMF Store for residential. Use the DS2 that you get with the Odyssey for commercial.

I've never used Super-Cap on trashed carpet so I don't know how it would do. For your typical residential soiling it works great and smells good.

17'' or larger bonnets work best on Odyssey. I like the 21'' Glad Pads on Odyssey. They run smooth !!
The Odyssey is a nice machine, had i ran across someone selling one in pretty much new condition that was only used a handful of times for a good price i probably would have gotten it

I was wanting something better then the little oreck orbital but not as heavy as my orbit vibe or my 175 rotary to go along withy 15 Inch CRB

But honestly i wasn't even looking for a challenger the deal just presented itself one day on one of my facebook pages, it was a good deal so i took it.

I've used it a few times and I do like it as it does fill a need i was looking to fill.
It weighs pretty much the same as the Odyssey and is easy enough to load and unload

So far i've used it after doing HWE with my TM to help pull some more soil and moisture from the carpet which helps a lot on dry times

I've also used it after doing an encap with the CRB
CRB 1st then run the challenger
Actually i think thats a good one two punch

Depending on the type of carpet The CRB does a really good job by itself in making the carpet look great

But in residential you can't in my opinion just stop there because lets face it CRB only cleaning doesn't remove any soil

My belief is that customers expect you to clean the carpet
and "remove the soil" not leave it there for them vacuum out later

So running an OP machine weather it be a challenger, Odyssey, or some other good OP machine with an absorbent pad after the CRB accomplishes "removing the soil"

We can debate how much soil is actually being removed but at least you would be removing soil

Reactions: george8585

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Just using a CRB is unacceptable and just using a OP is not enough either when doing residential.
It needs a CRB to scrub to loosen soil first and then OP with bonnet to extract. I do that on every job and I'm getting excellent results.

The Challenger is a nice machine but it's a dinosaur. Odyssey is better looking, faster, and more aggressive and has the 8'' wheels. It's goes up and down stairways easily.
My Challenger looks like crap because the paint is rusting. It's about 7 years old.

I don't take on jobs not meant for VLM usually but Monday I'm doin a 20 year customer that is very nice but dirty.
They usually do it every year but with covid last year they didn't get it done. I told them that VLM is not really the best method for them but they still want me to do my best.

Old nylon on second floor will do ok but the Living Room and steps have cheap beige poly that is about 10 years old and very worn. It's trashed and needs to be replace.
This is going to be my worst carpet done with VLM. It's going to be a good learning experience.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Just using a CRB is unacceptable and just using a OP is not enough either when doing residential.
It needs a CRB to scrub to loosen soil first and then OP with bonnet to extract. I do that on every job and I'm getting excellent results.

The Challenger is a nice machine but it's a dinosaur. Odyssey is better looking, faster, and more aggressive and has the 8'' wheels. It's goes up and down stairways easily.
My Challenger looks like crap because the paint is rusting. It's about 7 years old.

I don't take on jobs not meant for VLM usually but Monday I'm doin a 20 year customer that is very nice but dirty.
They usually do it every year but with covid last year they didn't get it done. I told them that VLM is not really the best method for them but they still want me to do my best.

Old nylon on second floor will do ok but the Living Room and steps have cheap beige poly that is about 10 years old and very worn. It's trashed and needs to be replace.
This is going to be my worst carpet done with VLM. It's going to be a good learning experience.
I'm in total agreement with you,
Just using a CRB only is unacceptable

and for the most part just using a OP is not enough either when doing residential.

The CRB 1st followed by an OP is a great one two punch

I know the challenger is a dinosaur, its been around for a long time. But hey for that matter 175's are dinosaurs to, those things have been around since the beginning of time, LOL

The challenger I bought for $1200 was basically New, guy only used it like 5 times. He bought it new with 10 new pads 5 of which had light use on them
His main business is auto detailing and he wanted to branch out into carpet cleaning then changed his mind as he found his auto detailing business took to much of his time

The Odyssey is a nice machine and i'll take your word for it that its more aggressive and faster, and having the bigger wheels is a big plus as well, had I came across a good deal on one of them i'd have bought it too.

But for however more aggressive the odyssey is compared to the challenger it is not really an issue if running a CRB 1st as the CRB is what's doing all the scrubbing to loosen soil first. The OP at that point is just used to extract the soil

now i feel its a big major difference for the better using the challenger over the little oreck orbital for extraction after the CRB for sure

But the difference between using a challenger or odyssey for extraction after CRB would not be that big of a difference like it would between oreck and challenger.

Most of these machines weather it be OP or 175 all start to rust and look bad over time and i won't take any machine into a customers home that looks old and beat up and is rusting

I just recently took apart my 175 and had it redone/painted for just that reason

Dave Weidlich

Nov 19, 2013
Petaluma, CA
www.advanceddry.com
Real Name
Dave Weidlich
Business Location
United States
your missing the point. Its not a warranty issue.

Look, the people that MAKE carpet have done all the testing of all the methods and know how they all work. THEY have made the determination that HWE works best. In fact THEY are so convinced that they REQUIRE HWE to maintain their products.

So I dont give a rats *ss about warrantys. Who knows carpet inside out and upside down. The people that MAKE it. Wouldnt it be prudent to follow what they say?

And watch all the posts about VLM. They start out with *Im tired of dragging hoses* or *Ive had it with my TM* so just because its faster or they dont like HWE (or not doing it correctly) they have determined whats best for the carpet.

Yes you can *whip out* carpet with VLM but does it produce the best results let alone keep the carpet clean longer? Nada.

VLM as a maintenance method for commercial installations of which it was designed, yes.
Do carpet manufacturers really test every system?
Are they going to recommend a system that is not available in most regions?
I don't know.
HWE carpet cleaning is available in every region. My guess is that is the main reason carpet manufacturers recommend it.
I've had very few potential customers ask about whether my methods fit with their warranty. But, I do have a lot of potential customers with environmental concerns. CA is in a drought. If you can get carpet clean with a fraction of the water, that's a big plus.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I'm in total agreement with you,
Just using a CRB only is unacceptable

and for the most part just using a OP is not enough either when doing residential.

The CRB 1st followed by an OP is a great one two punch

I know the challenger is a dinosaur, its been around for a long time. But hey for that matter 175's are dinosaurs to, those things have been around since the beginning of time, LOL

The challenger I bought for $1200 was basically New, guy only used it like 5 times. He bought it new with 10 new pads 5 of which had light use on them
His main business is auto detailing and he wanted to branch out into carpet cleaning then changed his mind as he found his auto detailing business took to much of his time

The Odyssey is a nice machine and i'll take your word for it that its more aggressive and faster, and having the bigger wheels is a big plus as well, had I came across a good deal on one of them i'd have bought it too.

But for however more aggressive the odyssey is compared to the challenger it is not really an issue if running a CRB 1st as the CRB is what's doing all the scrubbing to loosen soil first. The OP at that point is just used to extract the soil

now i feel its a big major difference for the better using the challenger over the little oreck orbital for extraction after the CRB for sure

But the difference between using a challenger or odyssey for extraction after CRB would not be that big of a difference like it would between oreck and challenger.

Most of these machines weather it be OP or 175 all start to rust and look bad over time and i won't take any machine into a customers home that looks old and beat up and is rusting

I just recently took apart my 175 and had it redone/painted for just that reason
Can't argue with any of that. Challenger does a good job but Odyssey does a better job.

Look at it like this.

You can get where your going in a 1975 VW Beetle (Challenger) or you can get where your going in a 2021 Lexus (Odyssey).

With the Lexus you will get there a lot faster, look a lot better, and have a lot more fun getting there, compared to a VW Beetle.

Sell that dinosaur and then call Tanoah ... lol

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Can't argue with any of that. Challenger does a good job but Odyssey does a better job.

Look at it like this.

You can get where your going in a 1975 VW Beetle (Challenger) or you can get where your going in a 2021 Lexus (Odyssey).

With the Lexus you will get there a lot faster, look a lot better, and have a lot more fun getting there, compared to a VW Beetle.

Sell that dinosaur and then call Tanoah ... lol
Excellent supply does not list the Odyssey, only the phoenix but it can be purchased directly from Trinity for 1995.00

Challenger OP'S are still being made and sold, however the challenger new is 2199.00

so its a no brainer if one was buying new you'd go with the Odyssey, i would.

But i only paid $1200 for mine and it was only used 5 times and i got 10 pads with it so i got a good deal

I have no buyer remorse on my purchase

Although i wanted the machine to fill a specific need
(which it does) I still don't use it that much so the $1200
I spent for something I don't use that much was about all i was willing to spend

On the other hand I spent a lot more on my 15 inch CRB but I use that all the time

anytime i look to buy something new, I kinda weigh the cost against
1. how much do i really need it
2. how much am i actually going to use it
3. how much easier/faster is it going to make my job
4. how much am i willing to spend

I was able to check all 4 boxes with the challenger at $1200
Of course to be fair if a deal like that popped up on the Odyssey i would have gotten that instead

So at this point, unless a deal pops up on a Odyssey i'll just stick to the challenger.

As far as it being a dinosaur, that doesn't bother me at all

Sometimes that's a good thing,
as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Hell 175 rotaries have been around since the beginning of time they are true dinosaur's but still a very versatile well built machine that just keep going and going, like the energizer bunny.

Maybe its a good thing they haven't changed the challenger, if it has held up and withstood the test of time why change it.

Problem is these days things are made more cheaply then they used to be, this goes for anything not just carpet cleaning equipment.

Things are made in such a way that its better to just buy another one then fix the one you already have sometimes.

Shoot some video of your Odyssey being used as I can find none on youtube

There are a lot of challenger video's on youtube and a ton of videos of the oreck

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
your missing the point. Its not a warranty issue.

Look, the people that MAKE carpet have done all the testing of all the methods and know how they all work. THEY have made the determination that HWE works best. In fact THEY are so convinced that they REQUIRE HWE to maintain their products.

So I dont give a rats *ss about warrantys. Who knows carpet inside out and upside down. The people that MAKE it. Wouldnt it be prudent to follow what they say?

And watch all the posts about VLM. They start out with *Im tired of dragging hoses* or *Ive had it with my TM* so just because its faster or they dont like HWE (or not doing it correctly) they have determined whats best for the carpet.

Yes you can *whip out* carpet with VLM but does it produce the best results let alone keep the carpet clean longer? Nada.

VLM as a maintenance method for commercial installations of which it was designed, yes.
Your logic is good but I don't know if I necessarily put all of my trust in 'big business'.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Trinity does sell Odyssey for $1995 - PLUS shipping !!!

Excellent Supply Odyssey is $2030 free shipping plus 1 gallon DS2 and 2 Microfiber Bonnets

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz

I don’t do enough commercial to justify an OP in my opinion. I don’t like working nights and weekends a lot so I don’t chase it.......if I’m doing VLM on a commercial site I just unload the 20” Cimex with the big boy wheels.... if im I’m padding it I’ll follow with the Tenent/nobles 185/315 swing machine with the Ironman cotton bonnets. If the carpet isn’t bad I’ll just wet it down with a sprayer then pad it with the swing machine and gray microfiber bonnets with blue scrub strips......