Adding a pump out | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Adding a pump out

La Flama Blanca

May 16, 2013
Real Name
Darin
I dumped 3 times on a house with 3 rooms, hallway and stairs. Something has got to be wrong. I'm using a rotary so I know it's more water but still...

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I would run the machine after it's totally warmed up with the recovery tank empty and the lid off with a helper simulating cleaning. That way you can see exactly what line is expelling all that water into the tank. Certainly sounds like you have normally closed thermal relief valve or similar stuck open.

Reactions: Calgary Hog

PhilipW

Nov 29, 2015
South Carolina
Real Name
Philip wallman
Business Location
United States
Although I have this APO patented, I do not make this for sale anymore, but I will give you the part numbers and where to purchase them if you are interested, along with detailed instructions on how to assemble/install it.

My claims on this APO are absolutely true based on 10+ years of trouble free operation in 2 of our daily-driver truckmounts. It pumps 30 GPM!

I have used this APO to extract water intrusion jobs, and it kept up with them.

There is also an option for 40 GPM or larger capacity, but I doubt if you would really need more than 30 GPM output.
I would be very interested. I have seen you mention this set up before and it has intrigued me greatly.

Grn Steamer

Dec 5, 2014
Real Name
Matt R
Although I have this APO patented, I do not make this for sale anymore, but I will give you the part numbers and where to purchase them if you are interested, along with detailed instructions on how to assemble/install it.

My claims on this APO are absolutely true based on 10+ years of trouble free operation in 2 of our daily-driver truckmounts. It pumps 30 GPM!

I have used this APO to extract water intrusion jobs, and it kept up with them.

There is also an option for 40 GPM or larger capacity, but I doubt if you would really need more than 30 GPM output.
@Bob Savage, that would be awesome. I'd love the information. Does it work on a 12v or 120?

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
@Bob Savage, that would be awesome. I'd love the information. Does it work on a 12v or 120?
It runs on 120VAC, so I use a small inverter connected to the van and TM battery. It takes 1.2 amps, and the pump doesn't have a "normal motor", it uses a sealed electromagnet to run a shaft and impeller.

Reactions: Allied

Magnum Clean

Oct 9, 2014
Real Name
Andrew N.
It runs on 120VAC, so I use a small inverter connected to the van and TM battery. It takes 1.2 amps, and the pump doesn't have a "normal motor", it uses a sealed electromagnet to run a shaft and impeller.
Is this the mag drive pond pump setup? I tried that but the stupid float switch I used kept malfunctioning so I had to scrap that setup. I'd be interested in your parts list too.
Certainly no need to spend big bucks on the units offered by truck mount manufacturers. DIY is best in this case.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
Here is the info for the new APO for the Savage:

You will need these parts:

APO pump and filter-

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...magnetic-drive-utility-pump-18-ft-cord-.html#
Pond-Mag Mag Drive 18 Pump (1800 GPH), 2nd pump from the bottom of the page where the pumps are listed.

pump filter Slip a knee-high over the filter once it is attached to the pump - press fit.

Float switch from WWGrainger part # 3BY58

From Windtrax (1-800-443-0676) 3/4" check valve part# 687-12F12F-B

PVC 3/4" threaded male coupling, 2-PVC 3/4" hose Barbs -
2 PVC couplings, threaded 3/4 MPT one end, press glue fit the other end. You will glue a very short piece of 3/4" pipe into one of these fittings (no longer then the inside depth of the coupling to where it bottoms out so when you glue the second one on from the outside and press, it will fit tight against the wall of the tank).

Brass 3/4" MPT X MHT (Male garden hose thread) - Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc.

3/4" close pipe nipple, PVC or ABS.

25' foot length of 3/4" garden hose (I prefer black rubber hose vs.vinyl).

You will also need to drill a hole at the top of the tank for the 3/4" discharge hose to attach to. Hole size is the size of the outside diameter of a 3/4" piece of PVC pipe, and drill a hole for the float switch electrical wire. I recommend using Tap Magic cutting fluid on your drill bit for stainless steel. I use Cobalt bits for stainless.

Once you get everything, contact me and I'll go through where things have to go, etc.

The pictures:

The fourth picture shoes the float switch location from the recovery tank bottom. The tank has 2 identical float switches - one for the machine to shut down iof the tank is full, and the one at the bottom to activate the APO.

There is a 1 way check valve inside the recovery tank. The white PVC 90º elbow exiting the top of the tank is the line for the APO, where you hook up a standard garden hose. It will pump 200' or more if necessary.

The small hole in the tank next to the elbow is for the power cord of the APO.

This tank is setup for running dual wands, as there are 2 intakes with 3" dual filters going to the blower intake port.

The PVC fittings are fiberglassed to the tank using fiberglass cloth and resin.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor

APO pump and filter-

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...magnetic-drive-utility-pump-18-ft-cord-.html#
Pond-Mag Mag Drive 18 Pump (1800 GPH), 2nd pump from the bottom of the page where the pumps are listed.

pump filter Slip a knee-high over the filter once it is attached to the pump - press fit.

2 PVC couplings, threaded 3/4 MPT one end, press glue fit the other end. You will glue a very short piece of 3/4" pipe into one of these fittings (no longer then the inside depth of the coupling to where it bottoms out so when you glue the second one on from the outside and press, it will fit tight against the wall of the tank).

Brass 3/4" MPT X MHT (Male garden hose thread) - Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc.

You will also need to drill a hole at the top of the tank for the 3/4" discharge hose to attach to. Hole size is the size of the outside diameter of a 3/4" piece of PVC pipe, and drill a hole for the float switch electrical wire. I recommend using Tap Magic cutting fluid on your drill bit for stainless steel. I use Cobalt bits for stainless.

Once you get everything, contact me and I'll go through where things have to go, etc.

The pictures:

The fourth picture shoes the float switch location from the recovery tank bottom. The tank has 2 identical float switches - one for the machine to shut down iof the tank is full, and the one at the bottom to activate the APO.

There is a 1 way check valve inside the recovery tank. The white PVC 90º elbow exiting the top of the tank is the line for the APO, where you hook up a standard garden hose. It will pump 200' or more if necessary.

This tank is setup for running dual wands, as there are 2 intakes with 3" dual filters going to the blower intake port.

I really like your waster tank it looks like the same as the one i have

Magnum Clean

Oct 9, 2014
Real Name
Andrew N.

APO pump and filter-

The pictures:

Great info! Anybody needing an APO take notice of this.

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I wish wish wish they could make a valves so the demi valve can be diverted to the ground has anyone done this. I don't like how it goes into the waste tank and fills it up. I know some people have put it into the fresh water tank. I think i could also do this because my truckmount has a senson in the water box to turn the machine off after the water gets around 160 degrees.
On my Boxxer the dema solenoid really doesn't dump that much water so I've left it alone. The thermal valve however is a different story. If that goes out I will be lucky to finish one average sized room before the waste tank is full. Even if it's working normally it will fill the waste tank about twice as fast. I routed mine to my fresh water tank years ago and it's worked well for me. That way, even if it should go out, the water goes right back into my fresh water tank rather than my waste tank so it doesn't cause a problem other than losing some heat to clean, but I can still keep working normally until I can replace the thermal valve. I keep a spare one in the van at all times btw.

The only problem with this is if your fresh water tank gets pretty low the water inside it can get pretty hot. My thermal valve dumps about 170 degree water. That's not an issue unless the fresh water gets too low so I avoid using the fresh water tank on larger jobs that demand a lot of water. Then, you're sending really hot water through your fresh water pump which can cause problems with most of them. I very rarely fill my waste tank up. I noticed a drastic difference in how much was going into the waste tank after I made this mod.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
@Bob Savage, this particular float switch (below) is discontinued...what attributes does the switch need to have? Is there another one at granger that might be a good substitute? Thanks for the posts. Very helpful.
Any good industrial stand alone sump pump float switch will work.

I am not surprised the part # has changed. I have been using that one for many, many years now.

;):sneaky:

La Flama Blanca

May 16, 2013
Real Name
Darin
What if I route the water line through the bottom of my trailer so the hot water just goes in the ground instead of the tank?

Rico1

Jun 30, 2017
Real Name
Ricardo Vázquez
I think I wanna build one of Bob’s APO and get a power inverter to power it.
Does anyone have a power inverter connected to their gas/diesel powered TM’s battery as opposed to being connected to your Van’s battery?
I am thinking that if I am gonna use this APO while cleaning, then having the power inverter connected to my gas TM’s battery makes more sense than having it connected to the van’s battery and avoid the possibility of draining it.
Am I wrong?