Acidic prespray | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Acidic prespray

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
I clean my house more than usual bc my family has 3 insides dogs. Hearing dogs says it all right. Usually I go high alkaline prespray with alk rinse. But I decided to switch it up and use some overstocked chems I have. This one TMT chem was an acid prespray that was made for urine. I coupled that with a high alk rinse instead of a low alk rinse. My thoughts are my carpet is looking the best it has been in a very long time. I really like this combo but I wouldn't say my carpet is a pig sty so I wonder how an acid prespray would do on filthy carpets?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I clean my house more than usual bc my family has 3 insides dogs. Hearing dogs says it all right. Usually I go high alkaline prespray with alk rinse. But I decided to switch it up and use some overstocked chems I have. This one TMT chem was an acid prespray that was made for urine. I coupled that with a high alk rinse instead of a low alk rinse. My thoughts are my carpet is looking the best it has been in a very long time. I really like this combo but I wouldn't say my carpet is a pig sty so I wonder how an acid prespray would do on filthy carpets?
Generally we are dealing with oily soils and acidic food & drink stains in the carpet so you will need a prespray that can deal with food and grease stains. I'm not a chemist but pretty much all the presprays I've seen are alkaline based. I know on tile cleaning you have to remove any oily soils by using an alkaline cleaner first before you can use an acid. If you go directly to acid on tile without using an alkaline first the acid will not work. I'm guessing it will be the same on carpet.

I do use an acid pretreatment as a first step on urine removal but I'm only putting the acid on the urine, not the whole room.

Reactions: Cameron RDS

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
On really filthy carpet I'd use a high ph prespray and rinse with a low ph chemical. If you keep your carpets really clean anyway then there probably wasn't much oils in the carpet so the acid prespray was able to deal with it just fine but in normal situations I don't think you'd have the same results going to acid first.

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
Generally we are dealing with oily soils and acidic food & drink stains in the carpet so you will need a prespray that can deal with food and grease stains. I'm not a chemist but pretty much all the presprays I've seen are alkaline based. I know on tile cleaning you have to remove any oily soils by using an alkaline cleaner first before you can use an acid. If you go directly to acid on tile without using an alkaline first the acid will not work. I'm guessing it will be the same on carpet.

I do use an acid pretreatment as a first step on urine removal but I'm only putting the acid on the urine, not the whole room.
I have noticed on tile like a shower, first you need a degreaser, to break up the human oils. Then use a alkaline. If there is soap scum them use an acid-based cleaner as soap is alkaline. You really need all 3 to clean each layer.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Cameron, back in the 90's we used to see a lot of blue and grey carpet and if we cleaned them on the acid side they instantly looked remarkably better (this was a mandatory step prior to whole room dyeing). Likewise, I think warm colored carpet looks better if cleaned and left slightly on the alkaline side.
What color is your carpet that you cleaned with the acid prespray?

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Cameron, back in the 90's we used to see a lot of blue and grey carpet and if we cleaned them on the acid side they instantly looked remarkably better (this was a mandatory step prior to whole room dyeing). Likewise, I think warm colored carpet looks better if cleaned and left slightly on the alkaline side.
What color is your carpet that you cleaned with the acid prespray?
I cleaned two colors, one is a vibrant maroon redish color and the other is your standard white nylon carpet.