Acid washing travertine | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Acid washing travertine

FloorCareChris

May 7, 2015
Real Name
Christopher reyes
Hey guys,

Got a customer who wants to lighten his travertine and keep the honed look. His grout needs some work too. Is it safe to acid wash the floor (diluted) then proceed to 400 grit and 800 grit dip pad to complete and seal? I want the grout to come out nice and I know acid washing can do a fantastic job. I know the tile is also sensitive to it too. The grout looks cement based but I'm going back to do a few tests anyways. Debating between this or degrease clean and hone.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Seems dicey. I am at Stu Rosens stone boot camp taking videos and pics. I'll ask him.

Reactions: FloorCareChris

FloorCareChris

May 7, 2015
Real Name
Christopher reyes
I've polished travertine.. I just hate Inconsistent grout but anytime I take acid on a stone I get nervous. I understand it's like a hone so some guys may even start there but I never have. Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated

Reactions: rob allen

FloorCareChris

May 7, 2015
Real Name
Christopher reyes
I don't think I'm gonna acid wash. Strong degrease clean and hone. Keep it simple.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
No way on the acid.
It's not just that it will dull the finish, it's the fact that it will pit the surface too, so you'd have to do some serious polishing to restore it.

Use GM and scrub the grout lines. Then rinse on low psi.
If the flat honed look is required then one pass with 800 grit will do it.
If the grout is badly stained then colorseal it, but it should come out good.

Reactions: FloorCareChris

FloorCareChris

May 7, 2015
Real Name
Christopher reyes
I'm not gonna acid wash. Don't want to degregate the surface of an already fragile matrix. Gotta get me some gm on the tougher jobs