Acid on Acrylic Grout? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Acid on Acrylic Grout?

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Im at a job right now thats 18" porcelain tiles with grout thats supposed to be really light tan. I spray groutmaster and scrub, rinse at 1000 psi spinner. Get a lot of dirt out but the grout is splotchy. I think i remembee her saying this grout is epoxy or acrylic or something like that. I tried acid on a few areas of grout and it did not help much. It didnt even fizz up. Is my aacid too old to work or is this grout just as good as it gets? Thanks

20190904_092923.jpg

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
If it’s epoxy grout (it probably is) then acid doesn’t do anything for it. It’s hard to tell if your grout is still dirty or just wet. Give it 24-36 hours for the grout to fully dry and then look at it again. Hopefully it will look good by then.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Looks like it could have been sealed. You can try some stripper on it.
If it was epoxy then it wouldn't have stained like that.

I never do a job without test cleaning (by hand) several spots to try and determine results.

If its badly stained then offer color seal.

As Todd said, hopefully it will dry and even out

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Looks like it could have been sealed. You can try some stripper on it.
If it was epoxy then it wouldn't have stained like that.

I never do a job without test cleaning (by hand) several spots to try and determine results.

If its badly stained then offer color seal.

As Todd said, hopefully it will dry and even out
I just tested my acid on some concrete outside. It definitely still works. So that means the grout is epoxy. i dont think theres any sealer on it. It is just splotchy in some areas but it couldve been a little splotchy during install. Ive seen wome epoxy grout at another unit that always looks like 2 different colors.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
use grout brush for those thin lines....
rinse all GM as well as possible.....
dry imediately with fan......

i have found if they dont dry in 2 hours they can be blotchy

those lines are a pain.......but can come out ......

davidgreams

Oct 3, 2019
Real Name
David Greams
Go to The Tile Shop and get the acid based grout and tile cleaning liquid, used for stripping the old sealant and for removing grout haze. Use that and a scrub brush and elbow grease.

Then let it dry 2 days. Then use the Gold sealer. It will cost you some $. Both chemicals are expensive. But the Gold sealer lasts years not months as someone else has said.