Acid etch on Stainless Steel fix

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
To tired to get into long post. Finished huge job on acid washing grout haze in 131 hotel rooms. Top floor gave us a lot of trouble. My employee got careless. Thankfully it was mainly that floor. About 35 fridges. And about 30 spread out on the floors below that were not very bad. But I had him go through every single room anyways. Found a post about barkeepers friend. And it worked beautiful. About 5 hours work. The same guy that did the damage of course. I went to his house. And said get in the truck !!! Silver lining I will explain later. This was the text I got. Notice the times on my reply. That's how you handle a fire. Immediately! !

Attachments

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
NO we did not mask 131 rooms. I went over this with them about 5 times. used a crb too scrub so no slinging. Had 4 mop buckets with neutral cleaner and about 50 rags. It was pretty much every room this one guy did. me and 2 other guys had no issues.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
NO we did not mask 131 rooms. I went over this with them about 5 times. used a crb too scrub so no slinging. Had 4 mop buckets with neutral cleaner and about 50 rags. It was pretty much every room this one guy did. me and 2 other guys had no issues.
Lucky!.....
I etched a fridge door in a high end home. (Always masked after that fuk-up)
Cost me over $500 for one door.
Replaced it myself to save the service fee but almost had to tap out.
There was a trick to it that I figured out at the last minute.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
Lucky!.....
I etched a fridge door in a high end home. (Always masked after that fuk-up)
Cost me over $500 for one door.
Replaced it myself to save the service fee but almost had to tap out.
There was a trick to it that I figured out at the last minute.
Oh I will prolly mask no matter what now. just a killer of a job right on top of full schedule of houses. But I also found out this stuff removes grout haze. The spots that where left on the floor after 2 acid washing's came up with this stuff. found that out when I spilled some buffing a fridge. Then whilke I was there. They ask me to clean many of the shower glass doors. construction got some stuff on there that looks like spray paint. That was the silver lining. We start the glass doors tomorrow. Actually my 2 part time guys are. We are cleaning a house for $800 So it will be a good money day. GM is asking me to do anything they are having issues with. iron is hot. Franchise inspectors on the way to open hotel.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Oh I will prolly mask no matter what now. just a killer of a job right on top of full schedule of houses. But I also found out this stuff removes grout haze. The spots that where left on the floor after 2 acid washing's came up with this stuff. found that out when I spilled some buffing a fridge. Then whilke I was there. They ask me to clean many of the shower glass doors. construction got some stuff on there that looks like spray paint. That was the silver lining. We start the glass doors tomorrow. Actually my 2 part time guys are. We are cleaning a house for $800 So it will be a good money day. GM is asking me to do anything they are having issues with. iron is hot. Franchise inspectors on the way to open hotel.
Love bartenders friend for shower door restoration. Works great and allows you to go 'balls deep' when pricing out tile jobs with glass enclosers...

Reactions: bob_rugratz

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
At the end of the day. It's my fault for not checking on these and reminding them. Or not masking. So I had to fix it. The stuff was a miracle straight from home depot.

jhcinc

Aug 12, 2011
Naples Florida
Real Name
joel hoppe
Business Location
United States
Look up on google how to repair stainless. I found some video a few years ago.
Red 3m maroon pad on a sanding handle sand with grain
Use white vct pad after that
Use micro fiber rags and stainless cleaner with oil or products from ace hardware in red bottle magic stainless cleaner.

Now i restore my weber stainless grill outside after it starts with small rust spots makes it look new.

owenscott

Aug 6, 2009
Friggin Cold Upstate NY
Real Name
Stop snoopin u homo
Business Location
United States
Look up on google how to repair stainless. I found some video a few years ago.
Red 3m maroon pad on a sanding handle sand with grain
Use white vct pad after that
Use micro fiber rags and stainless cleaner with oil or products from ace hardware in red bottle magic stainless cleaner.

Now i restore my weber stainless grill outside after it starts with small rust spots makes it look new.
Or ... just use bar keepers friend ?!?? ... ??

Reactions: alexus

CantuVC

Sep 27, 2013
www.ToroSteamCleaning.com
Real Name
Victor Cantu
I always wrap as well... In addition, when training, make sure the tape from the bottom up. That way they aren't lazy and either leave it slightly too short or not taped at all. if you use any agitation (which I'm sure you do an will), the airflow can cause the bottom to ripple and all you need is a drop or two.

Reactions: LeeRoy

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
another tip. either go over entire panels. or bring some ss polish to apply just on the area you cleaned. it has a lighter tint. the polish will darken it back. but try to stay right on the light area with the polish. I am sure it would blend back naturally , but better to make it look as good as possible if you get in this situation. I would suggest cleaning the entire fridge with it so it matches. and I noticed scrubbing with the grain of the ss helps too.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
In the cleaning supplies section home depot $2.98 .
Very good product . Believe Paul Brown uses it on carpet rust stains from metal legs . I've used it on porcelain sinks that were horrible with great success . Been using SprayWay window cleaner on stainless and windows too . The SprayWay you can get at Lowes and I think Home Depot as well . Bought a four pack at Sam's . Stuff is great on cleaning up smudges on appliances etc.and the easiest window cleaner I've found . Wonderful smell too!!
Think it's about the same price as the Barkeepers .
All the Best, Ed

Reactions: alexus

bob519

Oct 28, 2011
Canada
Real Name
bob
Business Location
Canada
We use a static cling painters plastic no tape required saves tons of time

jhcinc

Aug 12, 2011
Naples Florida
Real Name
joel hoppe
Business Location
United States
Or ... just use bar keepers friend ?!?? ... ??
I tried barkeepers first on stainless I had to fix and it did not make metal look new. Then went to the time consuming three step process of polishing metal with sanding. A few minutes of plastic covers is a lot less time.
Go slower to go faster