Absolutely new to this. Need guidance to get started in the business | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Absolutely new to this. Need guidance to get started in the business

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I charge 2000.00 for all my online classes and a 3 day boot camp at my school/shop. You will learn how to clean carpets, upholstery, tile & grout, stone polishing, water damage, rug cleaning, VLM and commercial cleaning. You will also see how a multi million multi truck operation is ran firsthand. Plus you get all my online on demand classes with some mentoring included. Want to be a business owner and get rich? Hang around rich people? Want be a broke ass cleaner with a job? Go to industry classes.
Ouch. Sharp edge coming from the Boss here. Just learning the ropes about the business here. Although,. I admit I do desire to spend more time around like minded people that are having good success.

To be honest, at this point I am not absolutely certain I want to scale the carpet cleaning business I am looking at starting to huge levels. I am working on some specific 3-5 year goals that this business could help me achieve by using it as a vehicle to do so on my own terms. And, these goals are little greater and more meaningful to me than beer and cig money.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Rob must of graduated from the 43rd Annual Convention of the grand mystic royal order of the nobles of the Alibaba temple of the Shrine.
(For those who remember that lol)
New to me...but gave me a chuckle. :)

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
"Broke ass" has zero to do with size, whether O/O or multi-truck, rather how funds are spent, future aspirations and business integrity.
My bad- I always considered broke ass as someone that has no money

I am catching up on paperwork and book keeping as I had a minor surgery this morning and I'm a bit surprised. We had an accident on January 24th and was only covering a limited amount of jobs as it took the insurance company over a money to decide the van was totalled. We have only been up and running again with the new van for about a week but our numbers are slightly higher than last year.

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I should have put a smiley face as I was being sarcastic. Because we have all seen guys in those classes who are just in this business for beer and cigarette money.
Thinking you most likely are 'down to earth' after this comment. Good to see.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
"Broke ass" has zero to do with size, whether O/O or multi-truck, rather how funds are spent, future aspirations and business integrity.

I agree. Me first and don't care about others as much as myself and spend every dime all the time and don't care about tomorrow = broke ass.

Why do so many people think buying shit will make them happier? Be content.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
First and foremost you guys decide whether this is the type of work for you
Ask a local competitor if you could do a ride-along if not get ahold of someone on the form I know I would be willing to let you sit in my truck for the day and see whether this work is even something you'd be interested in. frankly it's hard work
Then you can decide whether you want to invest in that class or equipment

Let's say you decide to skip that
First and foremost you have to have a 175
I recommend a inexpensive extractor like the cross American Jaguar cub
And chemistry is key keep it safe go with no brainer products things that are easy to use on one's like magic wand trashed

Another option that is overlooked on this forum is just going to rotovac in buying one of their packages they come with videos and all sorts of other option

And always feel free to message me I'm happy to help the new guy

CAUTION: Long Reply

You know it's interesting. I definitely have seen folks recomending newbies call local businesses to ride along or work with them to get exposure and really see if its something they can see themselves doing. I thought it was a good suggestion. So I called about a dozen local businesses and basically asked them if they could use some free labor (me) for a day or two or a couple jobs because I was thinking of getting involved in the industry and starting a business. In hindsight maybe I could have been more shrewd or clever and hid the fact I was thinking of starting business but I always figure honesty is the best policy.

The first guy thought I had nerve as he saw me asking for him to train me and then go compete with him. I tried to reframe it but as he was hanging up he told me to call Stanley steamer lol.

I think everyone else I called didn't pickup the phone so I left messages with basically that same proposition and no one called me back except one guy. He was actually really cool but just got out of his cleaning business. He said he and his wife ran a cleaning business and had some pretty big commercial contracts for like the past 10 years. Sounded like they worked super hard and made bank so when the changes came at the companies they had contracts with they just got out of the business and are on to the next thing. He even offered help as like a lifeline as I progress, etc. He even has a Solus 500 portable with wand and some other equipment he would sell for like $4500 for all.

And Stanley Steemer was like a big bureaucratic machine where no one can make decisions. Still waiting to here back if they can approve me going out. The manager mentioned they wouldn't want someone learning their trade secrets and using them against them or some crap. The manager said he would call me back so when he didn't I reached out and they took a message and he would call me back. Still waiting. Not really. Again, maybe I wasn't clever enough and should have just worked there for a little to see what cleaning carpets is really about. But, oh wait. No, I watch my 3 and 5 year old the 3 days a week my wife works and I didn't really feel like working for someone and trying to schedule around that. I like my freedom too much.

So I kind of resolved in my mind that yes cleaning carpets is physical work (sweaty, get tired, etc.) but if I can make customers happy and see the result I produce that would be a personal accomplishment each day. Plus, I was raised in a blue collar house hold and my mom actually ran a cleaning business for 5 years when I was young so I think I can visualize the work involved. Of course, if I'm making profit and striving for some goals working closer to freedom by earning on demand cash on my terms that would be good as well.

TL;DR (too long didn't read)
How can I be sure if carpet cleaning is for me since I didn't manage to find a local business to let me ride along and work with them to see before signing up for the IIICRC carpet tech certification class?

I am not afraid of hard work and I actually enjoy doing hard stuff on purpose either because I have some German and Irish in me ;) or because I like seeing the results of my work and the resulting satisfaction and also know that being active and mobile (cleaning carpets) is better than being lazy and fat. So for those reasons I am down to bust my ass. But I also know I am a detail oriented person and so that should translate into doing an awesome job for people. I don't cut corners and customers should see that.

Main concern is getting customers but luckily my wife seems to think things will fall into place.

Maybe there is someone here in NE PA with a similar mindset?

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
FYI I have cleaned carpet many decades and currently work for an equipment manufacturer and still clean some carpet.

Congratulations on taking the IICRC class. I think it will be very important. Do you happen to know which instructor?

Heat is important. You need heat from some source. However, there is only so much power available in an electric outlet. What is used for heat is not available for use in vacuum or water pressure. Many portable extractors make unreasonable claims about what heat you can get from them. Generally not a lot of heat unless there are other significant sacrifices. I would suggest looking at other options for heat. Maybe as simple as a bucket heater. When you take the class, demo some extractors under as close to real use conditions as possible. For example, not one that has been sitting and heating up for 2 hours while students are in class and then used for a short demo to show how hot it gets.

Claims of killing germs and sanitizing with the heat from a portable are inaccurate. Maybe it can be done with the heat from some truckmounts. However, to kill any significant number of organisms, they not only need heat, they need heat for several minutes. In real world situation, you don't apply the hot water to the carpet fiber for more than a few seconds before it is extracted. It begins cooling from air temperature very quickly. I would classify such claims as false or misleading. I wish it was true, since we make and sell the equipment, but it is not.

The class is held at Schapers Flood House (Schapers supply) in Philly. Not sure who personally is instructing..

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Schapers usually brings in very good instructors, maybe Joe Dobbins or Scott Mims for a carpet tech class. Get the most out of the class by studying manual; talking to, asking questions and observing of other students; question the instructor at breaks in the class, learn their background in the industry.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I took a great tip from from a marketing class @Scott Warrington who just posted taught. I won’t make it a full page but really nobodies going to help you by a call. Its a waste of their time.... but now bring them a cup of coffee or be creative and grab their attention. Show them their time is valuable. I wouldn’t train a competitor either. But would help a new allies with a zeal. I get annoyed when I get calls that are a waste of time. Someone comes to my location and brings me coffee, gift card whatever you have a higher chance of a meeting. Selling yourself is a highly valued skill that is a must for success.
People make suggestions but each of us have to think outside the box on how to apply it.

Reactions: Select

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
CAUTION: Long Reply

You know it's interesting. I definitely have seen folks recomending newbies call local businesses to ride along or work with them to get exposure and really see if its something they can see themselves doing. I thought it was a good suggestion. So I called about a dozen local businesses and basically asked them if they could use some free labor (me) for a day or two or a couple jobs because I was thinking of getting involved in the industry and starting a business. In hindsight maybe I could have been more shrewd or clever and hid the fact I was thinking of starting business but I always figure honesty is the best policy.

The first guy thought I had nerve as he saw me asking for him to train me and then go compete with him. I tried to reframe it but as he was hanging up he told me to call Stanley steamer lol.

I think everyone else I called didn't pickup the phone so I left messages with basically that same proposition and no one called me back except one guy. He was actually really cool but just got out of his cleaning business. He said he and his wife ran a cleaning business and had some pretty big commercial contracts for like the past 10 years. Sounded like they worked super hard and made bank so when the changes came at the companies they had contracts with they just got out of the business and are on to the next thing. He even offered help as like a lifeline as I progress, etc. He even has a Solus 500 portable with wand and some other equipment he would sell for like $4500 for all.

And Stanley Steemer was like a big bureaucratic machine where no one can make decisions. Still waiting to here back if they can approve me going out. The manager mentioned they wouldn't want someone learning their trade secrets and using them against them or some crap. The manager said he would call me back so when he didn't I reached out and they took a message and he would call me back. Still waiting. Not really. Again, maybe I wasn't clever enough and should have just worked there for a little to see what cleaning carpets is really about. But, oh wait. No, I watch my 3 and 5 year old the 3 days a week my wife works and I didn't really feel like working for someone and trying to schedule around that. I like my freedom too much.

So I kind of resolved in my mind that yes cleaning carpets is physical work (sweaty, get tired, etc.) but if I can make customers happy and see the result I produce that would be a personal accomplishment each day. Plus, I was raised in a blue collar house hold and my mom actually ran a cleaning business for 5 years when I was young so I think I can visualize the work involved. Of course, if I'm making profit and striving for some goals working closer to freedom by earning on demand cash on my terms that would be good as well.

TL;DR (too long didn't read)
How can I be sure if carpet cleaning is for me since I didn't manage to find a local business to let me ride along and work with them to see before signing up for the IIICRC carpet tech certification class?

I am not afraid of hard work and I actually enjoy doing hard stuff on purpose either because I have some German and Irish in me ;) or because I like seeing the results of my work and the resulting satisfaction and also know that being active and mobile (cleaning carpets) is better than being lazy and fat. So for those reasons I am down to bust my ass. But I also know I am a detail oriented person and so that should translate into doing an awesome job for people. I don't cut corners and customers should see that.

Main concern is getting customers but luckily my wife seems to think things will fall into place.

Maybe there is someone here in NE PA with a similar mindset?
did the guy that worked fow 10 years in commercial cleaning still have his accoutns or did he sale them????

would be a great place to start!!!!!

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
did the guy that worked fow 10 years in commercial cleaning still have his accoutns or did he sale them????

would be a great place to start!!!!!
Good suggestion but he said that the company (or couple companies) they had big contracts with the past ten years went through some management changes and the new Bosses were making changes across the board and they lost the business.

So most likely your suggestion doesn't apply here.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
The best options at finding a ride along will be far enough away to not be a competitor but close enough to have similar market. Look for someone 75 to 100 away.
Why didn't I think of this? lol

Maybe after the class next week Ill want to do that if I have any reservations or hold ups on starting a biz in the industry. Otherwise I'll jump in or change course and decide its not for me. Although, I do feel I kind of talked myself into doing carpet cleaning as I think it could be good. But, I could be dead wrong.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
When you go to class trust me it’s a terrific time to network. I’m sure you’ll meet someone there you can reach out to

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
TMF 3 Day Bootcamp-1995.00

Friday-Ride a long with me
Saturday-On hands all methods/all equip
Sunday-Full rug washing-Tile/Stone-Odor
All RA TMF on demand courses for year
Consultation-Business evaluation
Goal setting-Follow up

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
TMF 3 Day Bootcamp-1995.00

Friday-Ride a long with me
Saturday-On hands all methods/all equip
Sunday-Full rug washing-Tile/Stone-Odor
All RA TMF on demand courses for year
Consultation-Business evaluation
Goal setting-Follow up
Tempting food for thought.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Robert1993

Sep 15, 2020
Real Name
Robert Johnson
Hey! i am Robert , As you want to start a new business and i believe you will need to have good websites. so i use Geeks5g.com for all my marketing and web development and i recommend them because they are the best and their prices are also affordable . Hear you also will be able to get many other features.