Absolutely new to this. Need guidance to get started in the business | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Absolutely new to this. Need guidance to get started in the business

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I must be a broke ass cleaner with a job living in a broke ass town, we dont even have industry classes here :(
Travel. See the world. They do have industry classes in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso (or did in the past. Not sure about currently) and probably other parts of Texas.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Rob must of graduated from the 43rd Annual Convention of the grand mystic royal order of the nobles of the Alibaba temple of the Shrine.
(For those who remember that lol)

Reactions: Select
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Travel. See the world. They do have industry classes in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso (or did in the past. Not sure about currently) and probably other parts of Texas.
I traveled to Dallas to buy a new van and then to Phoenix to buy my wife a car in the past 2 weeks. Traveling gets expensive and is not much fun unless you are traveling for vacation.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I traveled to Dallas to buy a new van and then to Phoenix to buy my wife a car in the past 2 weeks. Traveling gets expensive and is not much fun unless you are traveling for vacation.
Man bud, you should of told me. Would of loved to have grabbed a meal.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Man bud, you should of told me. Would of loved to have grabbed a meal.
Yeah I should of told you. The original dealer I went to ended up trying to add extra charges and I walked out of the dealership with my suitcase and no place to stay the night as my plan was to drive to Tucson for the night and I ready had a reservation. I was stuck trying to find a room for the night with no transportation and ended up in a crappy hotel in a crappy area. Good news was I got my wife her car the next day.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Rob must of graduated from the 43rd Annual Convention of the grand mystic royal order of the nobles of the Alibaba temple of the Shrine.

Nah Rob was just using wit and sarcasm.
My reply at end of as tongue and cheek humor. I encourage classes of all types but of course I think mine are best.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT

Reminds of the quote, "If you think education is expensive, consider the price of ignorance."

So take a combination business / vacation trip to Dallas or Phoenix and write part of it off.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I must be a broke ass cleaner with a job living in a broke ass town, we dont even have industry classes here :(
I should have put a smiley face as I was being sarcastic. Because we have all seen guys in those classes who are just in this business for beer and cigarette money.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Nah Rob was just using wit and sarcasm.
My reply at end of as tongue and cheek humor. I encourage classes of all types but of course I think mine are best.
Come on man I havent heard that song in decades yet remembered the words for that post. Should of gotten at least a like out of it! Lol

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Reminds of the quote, "If you think education is expensive, consider the price of ignorance."

So take a combination business / vacation trip to Dallas or Phoenix and write part of it off.
I need a cruise to study textiles :)

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Meanwhile, back at the moteeeeeeeellllll.....

"Operator? Room 321 please!"

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Amy meet Rob. He is a disrupter.

PS:I’ve been called worse, even today.
I don't mind disruptors. Just ease up on smackin' my chops now and then, aye? I'd like to think the training I offer is of some value at least. Even if it's not got a TMF label on it.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
My dad was a huge Ray Stevens fan. I've memorized just about all of his songs, even the one about Ned Nostril and his South Seas Paradise, Put-Your-Blues-On-Ice, Cheap at Twice the Price Band.

Every now and then I'd call down to our Columbia office and wait for Vicki to get on the phone (also a fan), and I'd just whisper into the phone:

"It's me again, Margaret."

... and hang up.

She would then call me back and threaten to "come over there with a weed eater... and a live chicken... and some peach preserves!!!"

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I should have put a smiley face as I was being sarcastic. Because we have all seen guys in those classes who are just in this business for beer and cigarette money.
Yes but I am still a broke ass cleaner, I'm not a multi million mutli truck operation. We are a multi thousand single truck operation, but we have a beat up back up.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I don't mind disruptors. Just ease up on smackin' my chops now and then, aye? I'd like to think the training I offer is of some value at least. Even if it's not got a TMF label on it.
I would never direct it at you. :love:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Yes but I am still a broke ass cleaner, I'm not a multi million mutli truck operation. We are a multi thousand single truck operation, but we have a beat up back up.
"Broke ass" has zero to do with size, whether O/O or multi-truck, rather how funds are spent, future aspirations and business integrity.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I’m catching up to you Rob....only two more trucks to go! Lol

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Not sure where your located but there’s classes held all over the country. Any class is beneficial to allow you to network and get to meet people and get info. Bridgepoint offers many classes.
You can start with a inexpensive portable and add a inline heater. Heated portables usually sacrifice vac power. You’ll quickly realize you can only plug in so much. Heater take a lot of power.
A good starting unit you may want to look at it the Cross American Jaguar Cub. Under 2 grand, add a external heater and you’d be amazed with the results.
175s are usually easy to find at bargain prices. $150-$200 is very common. You can make money using nearly any machine if you bust your butt, learn good technique and learn proper chemistry. A good machine to start with instead of a 175 is a Oreck Orbitor. Super value priced yet effective for tons of stuff.
I imagine you may be in PHX? I lived there the past 12 years (east valley mostly but was in NW Peoria for 2 years) and just moved back 'home' to PA with my young family. I just recently started conceptualizing a carpet cleaning business and part of me thinks AZ would (is) have been a killer market for the simple fact there is 5 million people in the greater PHX area and a super high concentration of homes. But, maybe there is more competition. I am not sure but Im starting to think here in smalltownsville PA might be plentiful market to carve into as well. Im thinking in a way it's all relative. I could be dead wrong.