about to start my business | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

about to start my business

tonyz

Sep 10, 2018
Real Name
antonio zuniga
Hello everybody. I'm about to start my carpet cleaning business with a new portable Nautilus MX3-500H. I was about to buy a used truck mount but read in here how risky it can be to buy a used one. A new one is out of my budget at the time so, I thought I would go for a portable that in my opinion, is a very good one. I know that there is no portable as good as a truck mount, but as stated above a tm is out of my budget. I'm a bit nervous because I read on another posting that customers tend to look down on porties. I guess my question is, do any of you here run your business with a portable only in residential and commercial? If so, what is your experience with them and how much money more or less can one expect to make doing it part time to start? Your feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.

Reactions: Scott W

BigPapa

Apr 11, 2013
Real Name
Dan Ziegler
Tony...You my friend are exactly where you should be...Being portable gives you a start, that I hope will lead to bigger things....Get you customer service down, lay the ground work in the right way that will be your future...Go to youtude and see Saiger, see what your future may be.
Old dogs can not learn new tricks...Get it right from the start.

Are you a people person, If the answer is YES, then you are half way there.
Best wishes to you, and if you need support call BP @ ( 815 ) 878-2363 any time.

Reactions: tonyz

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
I have a nautilis, havnt heard a snicker or sneer from a customer, nor have i been held in contemp by them for having one. Yet, i can run it from my trailer, and do so when its convenient to me or sutible to a particular customer. I've done mostly residential carpet and some commercial. Have also done vct with it, extraction-wise. Also have done work for a few property mgt jobs, other cleaners, in state and in two other states. No gripes, jobs done, paid, and good to go. 5 star google reviews. If you got an extreme version of the nautilus, you got two 8.4 vacs. Wow, they are equivilent to a new entry level truck mount. You can run over 100 ft of hose, especially if your first 50 is 2 inch. Fyi, not so long ago, a lot of guys were using beginner portables, at 200 psi, and weak vacs. So, you can be an excellent cleaner with your newer machine.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
You should get the same pay. You are selling "cleaning" and "you" not equipment. If you hear they request a truck mounted machine. Its because they had a bad experience with a porty guy or they got alot of misinformation from another cleaner or internet.
For instance ive read other cleaners web pages going on about superior heat, truck mounted machine, xxxx pressure... then bash their competitors for using inferior portables leaving carpet wet for days. Yet i read further and they state if property is not accessible to the truck. They will need to bring in a portable at a higher rate to do the cleaning :D
Sell yourself and the job YOU can do. Not the tools you use to get it done. Unless your an equipment salesman ;)

Jun

Mar 27, 2014
Real Name
John Rasing
Hey Tonyz
I started my business with the portable for about few months and I searched on craiglist for used truckmount. I bought it for $4000 with the truck and other tools for tile & grout. It was a great deal.That truckmount last me about 3 years and still have the van.
You are good with the portable right now. You buy portable with strong suction, Psi and heat. Maybe you can buy a used one if you know how to fix when it breaks and you’ll be able carry it by yourself. I get like 2-3 jobs a week and none sometimes. I make like $200-600 a week for couple jobs or so. Don’t get any loans. Buy some equipment if you have extra money. Good Luck.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Learn all you can and call everyone that offers to help you. When your done call me.
800-949-7726.

BigPapa

Apr 11, 2013
Real Name
Dan Ziegler
Yes...I am calling Rob right now.
Guess what..We are currently closed please leave a message.
I left a message, will you call back?

Par Four, is what I heard in the back ground;)

Reactions: rob allen

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Hello everybody. I'm about to start my carpet cleaning business with a new portable Nautilus MX3-500H. I was about to buy a used truck mount but read in here how risky it can be to buy a used one. A new one is out of my budget at the time so, I thought I would go for a portable that in my opinion, is a very good one. I know that there is no portable as good as a truck mount, but as stated above a tm is out of my budget. I'm a bit nervous because I read on another posting that customers tend to look down on porties. I guess my question is, do any of you here run your business with a portable only in residential and commercial? If so, what is your experience with them and how much money more or less can one expect to make doing it part time to start? Your feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.

Tonyz. I have mentored many, many new carpet cleaners over the last 38 years and I can tell you that you are fine. Hell, I could walk into a new customers house with a bag of cotton towels and trigger sprayer bottle of cleaning solution and do so with complete confidence that I was going to make him/her happy with my results. And I'd get referrals too.

Now please read carefully what I am about to say.....
EVERYTHING is in your head. EVERYTHING!
WE decide before hand how things are to be before we even do it. (Most of the time) And I'm talking beyond cleaning carpets too. So what I want you to do is take that AWESOME machine of yours, clean your customers carpets like you've been doing it all your life and hold your head up high because I can assure you 100% that there are guys out there running the latest, greatest truck mounts ever made and THEY SUCK!
Understand?

IT'S NOT THE METHOD - IT'S THE MAN.
(y)

Last edited:

BigPapa

Apr 11, 2013
Real Name
Dan Ziegler
LOL...You know Vet...somewhere down the road, for you and I...I buy the coffee, you buy the biscuit and gravey;)

Reactions: tonyz

tonyz

Sep 10, 2018
Real Name
antonio zuniga
Tonyz. I have mentored many, many new carpet cleaners over the last 38 years and I can tell you that you are fine. Hell, I could walk into a new customers house with a bag of cotton towels and trigger sprayer bottle of cleaning solution and do so with complete confidence that I was going to make him/her happy with my results. And I'd get referrals too.

Now please read carefully what I am about to say.....
EVERYTHING is in your head. EVERYTHING!
WE decide before hand how things are to be before we even do it. (Most of the time) And I'm talking beyond cleaning carpets too. So what I want you to do is take that AWESOME machine of yours, clean your customers carpets like you've been doing it all your life and hold your head up high because I can assure you 100% that there are guys out there running the latest, greatest truck mounts ever made and THEY SUCK!
Understand?

IT'S NOT THE METHOD - IT'S THE MAN.
(y)
Tony...You my friend are exactly where you should be...Being portable gives you a start, that I hope will lead to bigger things....Get you customer service down, lay the ground work in the right way that will be your future...Go to youtude and see Saiger, see what your future may be.

Best wishes to you, and if you need support call BP @ ( 815 ) 878-2363 any time.
THank you thank you so much for your encouraging words and I will definitely let you know how I’m doing. I’m going to be buying my portie within a week or two max.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

tonyz

Sep 10, 2018
Real Name
antonio zuniga

Thank you so much for those words of wisdom big papa! It’s so encouraging to hear from fellow carpet cleaners’ advice and support. I will keep your advice and put it to use!

tonyz

Sep 10, 2018
Real Name
antonio zuniga
I have a nautilis, havnt heard a snicker or sneer from a customer, nor have i been held in contemp by them for having one. Yet, i can run it from my trailer, and do so when its convenient to me or sutible to a particular customer. I've done mostly residential carpet and some commercial. Have also done vct with it, extraction-wise. Also have done work for a few property mgt jobs, other cleaners, in state and in two other states. No gripes, jobs done, paid, and good to go. 5 star google reviews. If you got an extreme version of the nautilus, you got two 8.4 vacs. Wow, they are equivilent to a new entry level truck mount. You can run over 100 ft of hose, especially if your first 50 is 2 inch. Fyi, not so long ago, a lot of guys were using beginner portables, at 200 psi, and weak vacs. So, you can be an excellent cleaner with your newer machine.
Wow! Thank you so much! I’m going to be getting the nautilus extreme with the 8.4 vacs. I am already in touch with a sales rep at a local shop and will let him know that one is the one I want. I will post updates. Thanks again!!!

tonyz

Sep 10, 2018
Real Name
antonio zuniga
You should get the same pay. You are selling "cleaning" and "you" not equipment. If you hear they request a truck mounted machine. Its because they had a bad experience with a porty guy or they got alot of misinformation from another cleaner or internet.
For instance ive read other cleaners web pages going on about superior heat, truck mounted machine, xxxx pressure... then bash their competitors for using inferior portables leaving carpet wet for days. Yet i read further and they state if property is not accessible to the truck. They will need to bring in a portable at a higher rate to do the cleaning :D
Sell yourself and the job YOU can do. Not the tools you use to get it done. Unless your an equipment salesman ;)
Awesome advice sir and thank you! You’re absolutely right, I will sell my service and not the machine. I will take pride in a job well done. Thank you!!

tonyz

Sep 10, 2018
Real Name
antonio zuniga
Hey Tonyz
I started my business with the portable for about few months and I searched on craiglist for used truckmount. I bought it for $4000 with the truck and other tools for tile & grout. It was a great deal.That truckmount last me about 3 years and still have the van.
You are good with the portable right now. You buy portable with strong suction, Psi and heat. Maybe you can buy a used one if you know how to fix when it breaks and you’ll be able carry it by yourself. I get like 2-3 jobs a week and none sometimes. I make like $200-600 a week for couple jobs or so. Don’t get any loans. Buy some equipment if you have extra money. Good Luck.
Thank you Jun for your great advice. I’m looking at the nautilus extreme with 8.4 vacs and that has everything you mentioned. Thank you!