A safe & simple way to gain horsepower | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

A safe & simple way to gain horsepower

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Gaining horsepower is a topic that many people like to inquire about and some people wrench away to attain it. Some ways of gaining horsepower are easier than others. And there are also some ways of gaining horsepower that is considered riskier in terms of longevity. I have always been the type of person to take the easier and safer approach with truckmounts'. This is mainly because my truckmounts' are a source of income. And being a source of income I would not want to jeopardize that with a foolish upgrade that may hurt me in the long run.
The horsepower gain I want to discuss with you is so simple that most of you reading this already have it. It requires no technical or mechanical skills whatsoever. So what is this upgrade I'm talking about? It's a water softener... Yes that's right you read that correctly. Adding a water softener to your truckmount will give you a small gain in horsepower. What that gain is, has yet to be determined. But any gain even a minimal gain is alright by me! This especially comes in handy for people that are operating with an engine below 24 horsepower. For people with extremely large powerplants a water softener may benefit more on the fuel saving aspect of this addition. Or benefit from the fact that a water softener will prolong the life of a water pump as well.
I do not need scientific evidence to prove my point either. But I will give examples of how and why, like I always try to do when I explain things. A water softeners sole purpose is to remove unwanted minerals and deposits from the water. When minerals and deposits are removed, the water becomes slick like oil. This creates less of a drag on moving parts; water pumps, valves, solenoids, you name it. This in turn, reduces the coefficient of friction inside the water pump manifold and makes it easier for the motor to turn RPM. With that being said, a water softener not only improves the ability to turn RPM but also aids in delivering water to the wand or tool on long hose runs at distance. The reason behind this is the same as inside the pump manifold. Less friction inside the pressure line.
So what did we learn today if you did not already know these facts? A water softener will gain horsepower and save fuel. It will preserve the life of your pump and the components within the truckmount. It is an easy and effective way to gain horsepower without any possible detrimental effects. And also requires no technical skills to incorporate into your system. It is a Win-Win add-on people should consider.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
i question how much HP if any will occur????
since you only need about 2 hp to run a pressure pump if that!!

however I will agree that there are almost certainly some components on a truckmount that rob horse power.... these include:
HX - reason not a proper manufactured mufler...also will cause back pressure
also HX through the blower exhaust - also not a proper manufactured silencer...

both of these are common in our indutry and most certainly cause back pressure...
How much has not been determined but it is not good on the engine or the blower??

And these will certainly shorten the life of the engine and blower!!!!!

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
i question how much HP if any will occur????
since you only need about 2 hp to run a pressure pump if that!!

however I will agree that there are almost certainly some components on a truckmount that rob horse power.... these include:
HX - reason not a proper manufactured mufler...also will cause back pressure
also HX through the blower exhaust - also not a proper manufactured silencer...

both of these are common in our indutry and most certainly cause back pressure...
How much has not been determined but it is not good on the engine or the blower??

And these will certainly shorten the life of the engine and blower!!!!!
Like I said I do not know how much horsepower is gained. And I did say it was minimal also. But you have to look at the grand scheme of things. Any gain is a good gain. When you are running at very long distances and you need that extra push for the blower, it's available. More than if it wasn't there in the first place. Keep in mind that although it only takes about two horsepower to run a pump. The higher your pressure is, the greater the load on the motor. I'm suspecting maybe a gain of 1/4-1/2 a horse. I'll take that anyday. Also let me point out that a standard lawnmower engine will operate a #3 blower. I've done it. It wears the heck out of the engine, but it works. I could put a small 4 for cylinder in a van etc and still drive around. But it's not ideal. I might be going off point here but the main thing is to put less of a strain on the engine as you can. And like I said... People with under 24 hp will benefit the most from it.
And one more thing I should point out because I didn't make it clear in my thread post. That this upgrade doesn't add horsepower to the engine. It gains what you are already working with to FREE-UP horsepower so that the available horsepower can be applied to more important components like the blower.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
I will agree that it would be better on the pump.....
Also a mild descailer will also be good for the pump....

Best way to get more power is to get a larger engine and larger pulley for the engine....
I am projecting the engine to get 30-50% more hours.......

I am gonna also project 2-5hp loss of power for most all hx machines....
Because of back pressure....

I will also project a loss of 500-1000 hours on the life of the engine....
Since there are no studies on this it is difficult to show......
But I ran a 25hp kiholler with 2 auto mufflers at one time..and aklso ran it on a hx
and then changed it to a factory muffler....
I could tell a real difference in performance....