Jack

Oct 4, 2012
Washington
www.criticalcarpetcare.com
Real Name
Jack Jones
Business Location
United States
For those of you who have the maximum heat exchanger, how does Butler capture heat from the blower and how much does it raise the temp? And is it something that can be added to an existing machine that didn't originally come with it? Any pictures would be appreciated.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
For those of you who have the maximum heat exchanger, how does Butler capture heat from the blower and how much does it raise the temp? And is it something that can be added to an existing machine that didn't originally come with it? Any pictures would be appreciated.

It confuses me why people don't contact butler directly since they are very helpful in my experience.

If my understanding is correct the extra heat exchanger replaces the silencer after the blower. As for how much heat it adds, I'm not sure. I believe they said it can be installed to an existing unit.

Jack

Oct 4, 2012
Washington
Real Name
Jack Jones
Business Location
United States
It confuses me why people don't contact butler directly since they are very helpful in my experience.

If my understanding is correct the extra heat exchanger replaces the silencer after the blower. As for how much heat it adds, I'm not sure. I believe they said it can be installed to an existing unit.
As far as calling Butler, that's fine, and I may do that eventually. I'd rather hear directly from people who have the equipment and use it day after day first. Thanks for the information.

Ablecarpet1980

Mar 18, 2017
Real Name
Patrick Voncannon
It works pretty much by using the blowers heat. So you have two exchangers. One that exchanges heat from the radiator and the other that uses the blower. That's why if you want the higher heat package you have to pay for a blower upgrade. As far as results I can say that I purchased my first butler back at the end of December and it has the high heat package. I have been extremely pleased with the unit in every way. Especially the heat. It gets hotter than my propane burner does. Routinely runs over 240 at the unit. In sure there are some even hotter units out there but I personally would not want any more heat than that.

Jack

Oct 4, 2012
Washington
Real Name
Jack Jones
Business Location
United States
It works pretty much by using the blowers heat. So you have two exchangers. One that exchanges heat from the radiator and the other that uses the blower. That's why if you want the higher heat package you have to pay for a blower upgrade. As far as results I can say that I purchased my first butler back at the end of December and it has the high heat package. I have been extremely pleased with the unit in every way. Especially the heat. It gets hotter than my propane burner does. Routinely runs over 240 at the unit. In sure there are some even hotter units out there but I personally would not want any more heat than that.
Thanks for the info Patrick. 240 is hotter than I would like, but if you wanted say 210 would you just crack open the valve to allow a little cold water in to cool it down?

Jack

Oct 4, 2012
Washington
Real Name
Jack Jones
Business Location
United States
I have a 2002 Butler with the Coolant heat exchanger and you would never need any more heat than what that provides.
Hi Travis, I have an 02 as well and I get about 180 most of the time, but I would like a little more heat. What kind of temp are you getting on yours? I expect about the same, right? According to the temp gauge in the van it stays at about 185 degrees if it's correct. I wonder if I could put a higher thermostat in it to increase it a bit? During winter months especially it would be nice to have more heat.

Ablecarpet1980

Mar 18, 2017
Real Name
Patrick Voncannon
Yup just simply crack the valve to cool the unit down. I do that from time to time especially when I use an inline sprayer because if I don't I will get nothing but vapor out of the sprayer. High heat is great for cleaning but it kills everything. Fittings, and couplings just won't hold up. That's why I can't imagine anyone wanting more heat than that.

LustreClean

Jan 3, 2011
Northern Va
Real Name
James Woggon
Business Location
United States
Hi Travis, I have an 02 as well and I get about 180 most of the time, but I would like a little more heat. What kind of temp are you getting on yours? I expect about the same, right? According to the temp gauge in the van it stays at about 185 degrees if it's correct. I wonder if I could put a higher thermostat in it to increase it a bit? During winter months especially it would be nice to have more heat.
Might be time for a new thermostat. If you call butler they should have one they can send you. Napa autoparts has a 205 degree you can get.

LustreClean

Jan 3, 2011
Northern Va
Real Name
James Woggon
Business Location
United States
Napa 205 Degree thermostat part # 383. I have a 2002 chevy white magic and it works perfectly. Definitely, gave me heat increase from the 180-185 i was getting with my tired thermostat. Should be same for you. I hope that helps. My new Butler is ready on June 19th. Very excited

Jack

Oct 4, 2012
Washington
Real Name
Jack Jones
Business Location
United States
Napa 205 Degree thermostat part # 383. I have a 2002 chevy white magic and it works perfectly. Definitely, gave me heat increase from the 180-185 i was getting with my tired thermostat. Should be same for you. I hope that helps. My new Butler is ready on June 19th. Very excited
Cool! I know you will enjoy your new Butler, and I appreciate very much the info about the thermostat. My Butler has over 10,000 hours and the engine in the van is getting tired. I'm going to install some new lifters this next week and possibly a camshaft, won't know until I get it apart.

Reactions: LustreClean

Jack

Oct 4, 2012
Washington
Real Name
Jack Jones
Business Location
United States
Went to Napa and they had no idea about a 205 degree thermostat #383. Do you have a more complete #? Butler has a separate housing for the stat, so maybe it won't work the same as your White Magic.