A Customer Seriously Just Demanded That I Organize Her Closet Because I Charged Her $100 for a job | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

A Customer Seriously Just Demanded That I Organize Her Closet Because I Charged Her $100 for a job

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
I believe this rings true when a client says something about the amount of time it takes me, i also mention the fact that theres 80,000 dollars sitting in their driveway helping me accomplish what they want. Lol
I like mentioning that as well. Literally 80 grand right there. It's like, cmon people! It only takes a teenager 3 seconds to fill your coke at taco bell. And about 2 cents in syrup. And it costs you, what, $1.25 or so? It's so amazing to me how many people act like they are doing me a favor by LETTING me do work for them. Sometimes whenever I am giving an estimate at a house, I start to get nervous after they point out the 5th room or 5th piece of upholstery or something, because I know that they don't realize how expensive it is getting. Like "Yeah clean 3 of my sofas, 4 bedrooms, my large living room, both sets of stairs, and these 5 wool area rugs, and can you do my kitchen tile also?" "Yes, that will be $700" then they are like "Oh! WOW! That's a LOT of money!!!" yeah....no shit.

Reactions: SRD

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Just an update, I got 2nd degree burns on my knees from kneeling on the hot as hell tile. The sun is INTENSE. But yeah, I sure am a scammer.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I like mentioning that as well. Literally 80 grand right there. It's like, cmon people! It only takes a teenager 3 seconds to fill your coke at taco bell. And about 2 cents in syrup. And it costs you, what, $1.25 or so? It's so amazing to me how many people act like they are doing me a favor by LETTING me do work for them. Sometimes whenever I am giving an estimate at a house, I start to get nervous after they point out the 5th room or 5th piece of upholstery or something, because I know that they don't realize how expensive it is getting. Like "Yeah clean 3 of my sofas, 4 bedrooms, my large living room, both sets of stairs, and these 5 wool area rugs, and can you do my kitchen tile also?" "Yes, that will be $700" then they are like "Oh! WOW! That's a LOT of money!!!" yeah....no shit.
Confidence wins the day.
Just confidently give them the price and then shut up.
I used to charge $750 for a shower re-grout.
Now I charge $1200 - $1500

Sure, some folks choke but enough say yes to make my $100 an hour target.

Reactions: Select

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
honestly no offense but your attracting those type of rich cheap people with your $100 minimum in an area with $3mil condos.

If I were in your area minimum would be $250-300 at least. Your just asking to deal with rich people who look down on you and treat you like that.

There are plenty of customers in those type of homes that would pay you $500 for an hour

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
honestly no offense but your attracting those type of rich cheap people with your $100 minimum in an area with $3mil condos.

If I were in your area minimum would be $250-300 at least. Your just asking to deal with rich people who look down on you and treat you like that.

There are plenty of customers in those type of homes that would pay you $500 for an hour
AMEN!

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States

This sounds like a great point. Totally viable.

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
My business is very established in the area. I bought it a few years ago. So I am in debt. But I have an excellent reputation. People know me in the area. The problem is, probably 60% of my work comes from 2 large management companies. They really like my work, and they don't actually even pay for it, each individual owner does, but I just get nervous about raising prices. I typically stay very busy. Actually too busy. Right now I'm not too busy. But there are many times where I can't fit all the jobs in a week and have to turn people away and I get really annoyed because there are too many phone calls.

That's a good problem to have my friend. Trust me. A lot of people on here would love to have that problem.

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter

I know that's what everyone says on here. But I don't see it. The reason why is because not a lot of the high end clients actually live here full time. This is everyone's 2nd home/ investment property. So basically, if you live here, you are probably barely scraping by because everything is so expensive. Then if you have a 2-3M condo here, you probably just use it as your vacation spot and rent the condo out most of the year, in which case they view it as a busines and just try to cut costs. Most of the really high end 10m-30m houses are basically vacant most of the time, and they don't really get much cleaned. They all have housekeeping crews and most have tons of marble and things of that nature, so there isn't much carpet cleaning to even be done. Basically me and all of my competitors charge really similar rates, as far as I know.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I know that's what everyone says on here. But I don't see it. The reason why is because not a lot of the high end clients actually live here full time. This is everyone's 2nd home/ investment property. So basically, if you live here, you are probably barely scraping by because everything is so expensive. Then if you have a 2-3M condo here, you probably just use it as your vacation spot and rent the condo out most of the year, in which case they view it as a busines and just try to cut costs. Most of the really high end 10m-30m houses are basically vacant most of the time, and they don't really get much cleaned. They all have housekeeping crews and most have tons of marble and things of that nature, so there isn't much carpet cleaning to even be done. Basically me and all of my competitors charge really similar rates, as far as I know.
Conduct an experiment.
Test the theory that you can get more than you think.
Next job you go on just raise the price and see what happens.
If you're at $150 try $300

Just try it, I think you'll be surprised.

If you get 1 out of 2 then you make the same but work less.

The fear is that you won't get any jobs, but the reality is if you think you're worth it, and really believe it, then you will get more jobs than you think.

So to your original post, is it worth it to hump hoses all day and only make $500?

How would it change your business to be able to eat lunch, be relaxed and be home by 3pm?

I'm telling you, it will absolutely change everything.

Do you believe it?

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke