99 E150 starter just keeps cranking | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

99 E150 starter just keeps cranking

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Radio is after market, alarm I think is after market and wasn't working right when I bought the van so that's another one I'm going to look at. Actually I think I'm going to just take the alarm out regardless. Before I bought it it was a Comcast van, they had a lot of stuff installed which was removed before they got rid of it. So could be something from that too. I didn't think about checking at the fuse box, that should narrow a lot down quick.
Alarms are a biotch. They are tied into all kinds of crap. You might have a problem getting that out of there.

Reactions: Robert86

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Still been back and fourth with this issue. Started tracing wires and haven't found anything yet but today I realized something. Issue only occurs when I have my phone charger plugged in. 2 month period of no issues, my wife had my charger because she lost hers. I got a new one and started using it in my van again, problem came back. I'm not yet 100% sure but I haven't had the charger plugged in for about 3 weeks now and I haven't had an issue for about 3 weeks. So 2 thoughts now. 1: somethings loose for the wiring to the adapter. Or 2: I've been plugging into the cigarette lighter instead of the designated power port and since it was designed for a lighter not a phone charger, it causes a problem. Thoughts on that?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Still been back and fourth with this issue. Started tracing wires and haven't found anything yet but today I realized something. Issue only occurs when I have my phone charger plugged in. 2 month period of no issues, my wife had my charger because she lost hers. I got a new one and started using it in my van again, problem came back. I'm not yet 100% sure but I haven't had the charger plugged in for about 3 weeks now and I haven't had an issue for about 3 weeks. So 2 thoughts now. 1: somethings loose for the wiring to the adapter. Or 2: I've been plugging into the cigarette lighter instead of the designated power port and since it was designed for a lighter not a phone charger, it causes a problem. Thoughts on that?
Lighter or power port wont make any difference. There not specific for use. Other then possibly being switched on/off with accessories.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
I'm really good with those old Fords. In fact I've dealt with the same exact thing you were dealing with. When the starter keeps cranking after replacing the solenoid. A buddy of mine with a mustang also had the same issue. Here is what happened to me and what I did to rectify the issue.
My starter solenoid went bad so I replaced it with what looked to be an exact replacement. When I put all the wires back on, the starter kept cranking. I thought the solenoid was bad so I took it back and got another. Same thing happened. After some head scratching i decided to reverse the terminals and that solved the issue. I can't remember which terminals I reversed but I works. If you want I can do some work and find out the exact terminals i swapped. It's not a difficult task to move wires around and get it to work.
As for the battery losing power, it sounds like you either have a short somewhere or you have a parasitic load somewhere. Let me know if I can help.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I'm really good with those old Fords. In fact I've dealt with the same exact thing you were dealing with. When the starter keeps cranking after replacing the solenoid. A buddy of mine with a mustang also had the same issue. Here is what happened to me and what I did to rectify the issue.
My starter solenoid went bad so I replaced it with what looked to be an exact replacement. When I put all the wires back on, the starter kept cranking. I thought the solenoid was bad so I took it back and got another. Same thing happened. After some head scratching i decided to reverse the terminals and that solved the issue. I can't remember which terminals I reversed but I works. If you want I can do some work and find out the exact terminals i swapped. It's not a difficult task to move wires around and get it to work.
As for the battery losing power, it sounds like you either have a short somewhere or you have a parasitic load somewhere. Let me know if I can help.
So I have been driving around without my phone charger plugged in and never once an issue, then yesterday I plugged it in and second time I started it, problem. So I'm not sure what exactly is going on yet but its related to that charger. I'm looking for someone that has a warm shop I can pull into to work on it though, don't want to mess with it in 15 degrees.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Just that charger or anything you plug into that port? Its either your charger itself or you got a short in that wire coming to the socket. Ide just try a different charger for shits and giggles. If it still happens. Put tape over the socket and dont use lol. Fix it when its warm out.

How many ports do you have on that year? I have 2 above cupholder and 1 in the glove compartment.
Oh and there was one behing my driver seat. Used to be an ash tray with lighter but i cut it off.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Just that charger or anything you plug into that port? Its either your charger itself or you got a short in that wire coming to the socket. Ide just try a different charger for shits and giggles. If it still happens. Put tape over the socket and dont use lol. Fix it when its warm out.

How many ports do you have on that year? I have 2 above cupholder and 1 in the glove compartment.
Oh and there was one behing my driver seat. Used to be an ash tray with lighter but i cut it off.
It's anything plugged in that draws power. So the charger isn't really a problem but if I leave my phone plugged in while the vehicle is off, even for a few minutes, it causes the problem. It actually only has 1 power port and then I've been plugging into the cigarette lighter port.

I'm looking into it some because I know in some older vehicles plugging accessories like phone chargers into the lighter port is't advised. I'm wondering if maybe nothing is wrong with the vehicle I just need to start using the designated power port.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
It's anything plugged in that draws power. So the charger isn't really a problem but if I leave my phone plugged in while the vehicle is off, even for a few minutes, it causes the problem. It actually only has 1 power port and then I've been plugging into the cigarette lighter port.

I'm looking into it some because I know in some older vehicles plugging accessories like phone chargers into the lighter port is't advised. I'm wondering if maybe nothing is wrong with the vehicle I just need to start using the designated power port.
Put a cap over it and forget about it. Lol i would. Especially if you have another that is working.

Im looking into a 98 E350 with 7.3L. It looks in good shape. Still searching for the elusive v10 in a cargo van.

Reactions: Robert86

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

You can also kill that one. So long as you're correct as its ok as long as you dont use it. Cap its wires and push into the dash. Then run 12awg direct to battery or to accessory fuse in block. They sell usb ports that will fill in the hole in dash thats the same size as a lighter socket. Then you can just plug in your usb's. Only need one wire with inline fuse on it. And get the right usb for your device. Your ground is the closest piece of sheet metal you can screw to. Easy peasy :cool:
Screenshot_20191230-200610_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Not to add to the confusion, but my 08 chevy wanted to continually start if I barely keyed the ignition (turning back to non start stopped it). If I keyed it 100% it never happened. Checked the battery and it was just 12.0v coming off the highway... bad cell in the battery likely from the electric hose reel drain everyday before I owned it. Replaced the battery with the biggest one that fits and hasn't happened once since. Coincidence, not likely.

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey Bayliss
Can you see a live reading of the alternator charge rate? While your driving?
Or check charge voltage on startup in the morning vs end of the day should be approx 14v no real fluctuations
Maybe the alternator regulator is playing up/worn, Not working properly until the bushes warm up expand and start working

Reactions: Jim Davisson