99 E150 starter just keeps cranking | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

99 E150 starter just keeps cranking

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Come on over, it's like 65 here right now. I hate working on vehicles.

I ended up replacing the solenoid this morning since it's easy to get to. Running for now. Frustrating thing is every time I mess with something it starts fine and goes for a couple days.
You cover round trip flight I’ll go.

Soon as my dogs go out they make a beeline for the pool. It’s been stead 110+ and humid. Not too bad need lots of water and Gatorade.

You’ll see people jogging with sweats and hoodies midday sometimes. They’re absolutely messed up in the head imo

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Come on over, it's like 65 here right now. I hate working on vehicles.

I ended up replacing the solenoid this morning since it's easy to get to. Running for now. Frustrating thing is every time I mess with something it starts fine and goes for a couple days.
Check your voltage on all wires and check for good ground and that the terminal connections are all solid. Some wire is janky...

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Check your voltage on all wires and check for good ground and that the terminal connections are all solid. Some wire is janky...
Friend was over today and that's what he was thinking too. We checked connections at the starter and solenoid and a few other places, those looked good but there is a wiring harness about 3 - 4 inches long that connects from the ignition switch to another harness and that looks like whoever owned the van before me had spliced some things in and out of that part. I haven't found one online I don't know what it costs but if it's a cheap part I might just replace it instead of sitting there under my dash testing all those wires.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Do you have any aftermarket remote starter.
The reason I ask is you said it has an alarm is it a factory alarm or aftermarket.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
So just after my last post on here we put a new starter solenoid in and that seemed to take care of it. No starter problems until yesterday. Over 2 months good and then same thing, starter wouldn't stop cranking. I can't find a loose or bad wire/connection. Parts that could be the problem have all been replaced... Could there be something wrong that's causing the solenoid to go bad?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
So just after my last post on here we put a new starter solenoid in and that seemed to take care of it. No starter problems until yesterday. Over 2 months good and then same thing, starter wouldn't stop cranking. I can't find a loose or bad wire/connection. Parts that could be the problem have all been replaced... Could there be something wrong that's causing the solenoid to go bad?
Possible. Where did you buy the solenoid?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
You might want to put in a kill switch so you can save the starter. It gets stuck cranking just turn a knob and cuts the power till you get it figured out.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
You checked voltage regulator? You can fry all kinds of stuff if that goes bad

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Bought them at NAPA. Kill switch isn't a bad idea.
Ive been there before. It sucks just watching it run dead. Even with a wrench it takes too long to get terminal off the battery. Or solenoid (if its still on fender these days) Most parts stores keep them in stock. Dont need to run it into the cab like race cars. Just under the hood is good enough for you to grab real quick and kill it.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Ive been there before. It sucks just watching it run dead. Even with a wrench it takes too long to get terminal off the battery. Or solenoid (if its still on fender these days) Most parts stores keep them in stock. Dont need to run it into the cab like race cars. Just under the hood is good enough for you to grab real quick and kill it.
Solenoid is on the fender but they way everything sits I have to remove the battery to get to it. Enough room though I should be able to install a kill switch in the ground for the battery.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Solenoid is on the fender but they way everything sits I have to remove the battery to get to it. Enough room though I should be able to install a kill switch in the ground for the battery.
I think they even have a thumb screw connect for rv's. Might be easier. It just mounts to battery post.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Starting has gotten a bit rough, tested the battery, 11.9v. Thats a 6 month old battery. So something is draining the battery. Frustrating but I feel like I'm making some progress now.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
You can test the fuse block. And find which circuit is leaking voltage. Simple tool to use. Just shut everything off and close tge doors. Like Mike said the radio can be the culprit. I had a outback with factory radio. And it showed that it was draining the battery. It was minimal. But because i rarely drove it. It sat long enough to kill the battery.

Alarm systems can also. After market tow kits, brake controller...

Reactions: Robert86

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Radio is after market, alarm I think is after market and wasn't working right when I bought the van so that's another one I'm going to look at. Actually I think I'm going to just take the alarm out regardless. Before I bought it it was a Comcast van, they had a lot of stuff installed which was removed before they got rid of it. So could be something from that too. I didn't think about checking at the fuse box, that should narrow a lot down quick.

Reactions: MikeGaure