jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
This unit is like an efficiency apt, 1940 building, 4 storys and it was used as a storeroom for the last 25 years. Floor was full of paint and crap and grit,, I tried to not do this floor but they insisted.. Only one pic was good enough to use because of lighting and its a door way pic...

Cleaned it with grout master it was so filthy and fan dried but it was sticky and gummy.

So my fix was to flash dry the first coat of wax, which turned into flash drying two coats of wax so I could get a clean dry surface to put down a heavy shiny coat of wax.. They results were awesome to the customer but to me I would have put down a new floor. The whole building of 30 units is this same ole old old old wood floors.

this was just a livingroom and tiny bd that's it the only closet was 4x4 small.
104.jpg

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
It looks pretty good, specially compared to what it did before. Question is I never heard of putting wax on a wood floor? Have you ever used some of the wood floor coatings? I'd actually be afraid to put wax on a wood floor.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
It looks pretty good, specially compared to what it did before. Question is I never heard of putting wax on a wood floor? Have you ever used some of the wood floor coatings? I'd actually be afraid to put wax on a wood floor.
I always give the polyurethane price, the water based urethane price, and sealer wax price !

I have been waxing them for 30 years never had a problem ! Now this floor didn't have that factory seal on it anymore but most do. And on older homes they seem to want to go cheap ! I don't care because, when these tenants move out I will get to go do the floor again lol !!! I only got 285 for this unit because they didn't like the other prices I quoted.
You know what they say, use the stripper that goes with the wax so theres never a problem removing the finish later.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Property management companies wont spend the money on poly to fix it right.

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
Looks great. I would have tried to sell a resurface on this one.

I wouldnt have thought that it would have turned out like this...

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Looks great. I would have tried to sell a resurface on this one.

I wouldnt have thought that it would have turned out like this...
Management company wouldn't go for resurfacing this unit,,, I barely got them to approve the price I gave them...
A homeowner would have let me sand, stain, and poly it back to beautiful ! These old floors were thick and would have been the perfect candidate for restoration.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
This unit is like an efficiency apt, 1940 building, 4 storys and it was used as a storeroom for the last 25 years. Floor was full of paint and crap and grit,, I tried to not do this floor but they insisted.. Only one pic was good enough to use because of lighting and its a door way pic...

Cleaned it with grout master it was so filthy and fan dried but it was sticky and gummy.

So my fix was to flash dry the first coat of wax, which turned into flash drying two coats of wax so I could get a clean dry surface to put down a heavy shiny coat of wax.. They results were awesome to the customer but to me I would have put down a new floor. The whole building of 30 units is this same ole old old old wood floors.

this was just a livingroom and tiny bd that's it the only closet was 4x4 small. View attachment 74248
Where do you find these gems?

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Management company wouldn't go for resurfacing this unit,,, I barely got them to approve the price I gave them...
A homeowner would have let me sand, stain, and poly it back to beautiful ! These old floors were thick and would have been the perfect candidate for restoration.
And that's all we can do, do our best, every time, all the time.

Jan 31, 2013
Real Name
joe solarino
I've waxed wood floors with vct wax many times. It's a cheap alternative to poly when customer doesn't want to go that route or floors won't take another sanding. If it's in a higher traffic area it scuffs and scratches pretty easy but I've even done it in my living room and it has held up good where your only walking with socks on. Its application is a lot quicker I think than poly also although I have never applied polyurethane.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Flash dry means using air movers?

"Wax" I guess means finish such as used on VCT rather than paste wax?
Scott the floors were sticky when I got done, the stain was trying to peel up on me,,, when you wax a floor and put fans on it, it flash dries on top and is a little cloudy.. I used that cloudiness to help improve the finished look of the floor... Once it was a dry finish on top I would wax it up pretty ! lol''
yes its vct wax and a sealer wax. Ive never used paste wax on a floor...

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I've waxed wood floors with vct wax many times. It's a cheap alternative to poly when customer doesn't want to go that route or floors won't take another sanding. If it's in a higher traffic area it scuffs and scratches pretty easy but I've even done it in my living room and it has held up good where your only walking with socks on. Its application is a lot quicker I think than poly also although I have never applied polyurethane.
you have to use good finish on wood floors , so it lasts a year or two before needing to be scrubbed or lightly stripped and refinished and buffed... good finish wont scratch that bad on you in a house setting, these are college units, they most likely will be covered in clothes and crap and the finish will last a long time. lol

Jan 31, 2013
Real Name
joe solarino
you have to use good finish on wood floors , so it lasts a year or two before needing to be scrubbed or lightly stripped and refinished and buffed... good finish wont scratch that bad on you in a house setting, these are college units, they most likely will be covered in clothes and crap and the finish will last a long time. lol
I have done firehouse hall floors with Becto wax because they can't sand floors anymore and with the tables and chairs moving around on them they scuff and scratch. Usually they wait 6 months or longer to ask me to buff and with the champaign pads it doesn't do a whole lot but as a firehouse I don't charge them to much for the buffing. In my house after 7 years I the floors still look good.