7 yrs exp vs. 1 yr experience - Guess who won? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

7 yrs exp vs. 1 yr experience - Guess who won?

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
I recently hired a guy here who worked for a well established competitor for 7 yrs. After talking with him and the basic training he has, I believe he has met a new level of cleaning.

He used to run his own van with a big blue wave TM and knocked out many homes a day. After one week with me he has learned what a Goliath, Diesel Burner and RV360i can do. This week we did a trashed home that he admitted would not do or tell the customer many areas would stay black.

Needless to say I think he learned the power of agitation and a RV360i with diesel steam. The power of using the correct pre spray and boosters where he only carried one and that was it.
On a few other jobs he got to see how customers are made for long term and referrals because of the job they see in front of them.
The last one I would like to share is he changed his mentality of a portable when he saw the Goliath run 150 ft with great suction and go up 5 flights of stairs...

I think hes learned more from me in 1 week than he did with that company in 7 yrs. I was shocked at the limited knowledge he had but I do admit I feel more confident now on growing in this city...

This is a slide show I added to my website of the house we restored, owners also said they thought could not be cleaned. Pictures don't show how bad it really was, though it does show how good it came out!

Clean&Jerk

User
Jul 28, 2013
Real Name
Carpet Cleaner
I recently hired a guy here who worked for a well established competitor for 7 yrs. After talking with him and the basic training he has, I believe he has met a new level of cleaning.

He used to run his own van with a big blue wave TM and knocked out many homes a day. After one week with me he has learned what a Goliath, Diesel Burner and RV360i can do. This week we did a trashed home that he admitted would not do or tell the customer many areas would stay black.

Needless to say I think he learned the power of agitation and a RV360i with diesel steam. The power of using the correct pre spray and boosters where he only carried one and that was it.
On a few other jobs he got to see how customers are made for long term and referrals because of the job they see in front of them.
The last one I would like to share is he changed his mentality of a portable when he saw the Goliath run 150 ft with great suction and go up 5 flights of stairs...

I think hes learned more from me in 1 week than he did with that company in 7 yrs. I was shocked at the limited knowledge he had but I do admit I feel more confident now on growing in this city...

This is a slide show I added to my website of the house we restored, owners also said they thought could not be cleaned. Pictures don't show how bad it really was, though it does show how good it came out!

No grooming?

Hack

Lol jk.

Mr. Esteamy

Jul 9, 2011
California
www.esteamcarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Brian Kraut
Business Location
United States
That's the finished pattern you left ?

Why not take a little time and leave nice smooth lines

ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1375678347.294703.jpg

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
Dude that looks bad bro. No groom? My x boss threw me one of those rotovac 360,s it would clean a trashed carpet for sure but it also left it soaking freaking wet I always had to come back with a hard pressure dry stroke with a wand despite running a big ass bluewave machine. Not trying to trash talk your job man but no way I would have left it looking like that.

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
Dude that looks bad bro. No groom? My x boss threw me one of those rotovac 360,s it would clean a trashed carpet for sure but it also left it soaking freaking wet I always had to come back with a hard pressure dry stroke with a wand despite running a big ass bluewave machine. Not trying to trash talk your job man but no way I would have left it looking like that.
No offense taken different strokes for different folks. When they get regular wand cleaning they get the christmas trees ie. shark teeth. Carpet dries in 2-4 hrs here in this dessert weather and I do it with a goliath if you had that much water left over with that size machine you might of had an air leak or not a good seal also you may of been running too much pressure remember over wetting the carpet is the technicians fault.

sent from Galaxy NoteII

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
No offense taken different strokes for different folks. When they get regular wand cleaning they get the christmas trees ie. shark teeth. Carpet dries in 2-4 hrs here in this dessert weather and I do it with a goliath if you had that much water left over with that size machine you might of had an air leak or not a good seal also you may of been running too much pressure remember over wetting the carpet is the technicians fault.

sent from Galaxy NoteII
well those are all good assumptions but I assure you that was not the case. I use to run that thing on super low pressure and it still overwet it just plain did not extract worth a crap. airleak? lol.. no no no man. I will be honest with you as you said different strokes...the rotovac just plain sucks. I was running an rx20 for years though before that craptraption came out so that may be why I hated it because it could never compare to that.

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
Was it a 360i or original 360? I did hear the original 360 was not as good.

sent from Galaxy NoteII
This was roughly 5 years ago so yeah probably the original. I did like the one with the 2 rotory heads on it though at the time it was better. in fact I remember that 360 wouldnt even work on thick dense carpets. the head would not spin because the motor was too weak. maybe it was just a bad 360 IDK.

Clean-Team

Dec 17, 2011
South Australia
Real Name
Grant Baverstock
Business Location
Australia
Nice work. For what it is worth I think the wand marks are generally received better than the rotary marks. Another Aussie Phil M. *rightly* gives me a ribbing for leaving my marks in the carpet and reminds me that it isn't recommended best practise, which without hesitation I concede is true. But my market just doesn't want it. So I now make sure there are sawtooth patterns in the carpet before I leave. I must say though that the sawtooth look is much easier to take than the swirls. I'm sure it's fine though. First time your customer hits it with the vacuum cleaner it's all over anyway.

As for the experience thing...

I learnt a very valuable lesson a while back about believing everything your customers tell you about the last guy who sold them a service. Taking everything people say at face value and letting it impassion you to trash talk people is a bad idea and happily you HAVE NOT done this.

My point is don't start. :)

That said, yep I see jobs sometimes that guys with well more experience and far superior gear (everyone locally has better gear and more experience than I) have turned out and I have scratched my head wondering why it looks like it does.

I hope this is diplomatic enough as I'm just commenting on my own unconfirmed and subjective observations.

I remind myself though that I was not there when the customer and previous cleaner made the agreement about the service and fee.

One thing that *seems* (and that's all the proof I have) to be common is the fee. Most of the jobs I get that I better were flat rate room jobs. I hear figures of $30 per room irrespective of size pandered about. Naturally after being bitten by buying into this *information* and taking it at face value and making judgements on it I now shut up and take it with a shovel load of salt.

The only thing I can say is, when I ask myself "what kind of $30 service could I offer"?. And the answer is "I could vacuum it".

Nice work to you both, Cleaning looks out of this world good. Let your market and customer decide the service, it is their carpet after all. And don't be too hard on your seven year veteran. He may as yet pull one out of his backside one day that saves the day and then you'll thank yourself for having somebody with a few rodeos under his belt.

Everyday is a learning day for everybody.

Grant.

Clean-Team

Dec 17, 2011
South Australia
Real Name
Grant Baverstock
Business Location
Australia
What does the bare Goliath machine cost gents? I presume this is the one with 4 two stage motors?

Grant

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Nice job, I generally either wand out or rake out the pattern when using my rotary machines, but I like Mr Eteamy's pattern!

As far as the RV360 overwetting, I believe that could happen easily if you don't slow way down on dry passes and make a lot of them. You can see how much water is still coming up the site tube, and if it's still coming up, then the carpets still too wet.

The RV360 or RX20 do a great job, but they practically DOUBLE your cleaning time when done right.

Clean-Team

Dec 17, 2011
South Australia
Real Name
Grant Baverstock
Business Location
Australia
This was roughly 5 years ago so yeah probably the original. I did like the one with the 2 rotory heads on it though at the time it was better. in fact I remember that 360 wouldnt even work on thick dense carpets. the head would not spin because the motor was too weak. maybe it was just a bad 360 IDK.
Two rotary heads is a Powerwand. Totally different kettle of fish.

Grant

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz

I remember when I was looking to buy a Rotovac and for that reason was advised to stay away and get the 360i that was much more improved from the last one. It still leaves carpet wetter than a wand but not much and dries fairly quickly.

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
Nice work. For what it is worth I think the wand marks are generally received better than the rotary marks. Another Aussie Phil M. *rightly* gives me a ribbing for leaving my marks in the carpet and reminds me that it isn't recommended best practise, which without hesitation I concede is true. But my market just doesn't want it. So I now make sure there are sawtooth patterns in the carpet before I leave. I must say though that the sawtooth look is much easier to take than the swirls. I'm sure it's fine though. First time your customer hits it with the vacuum cleaner it's all over anyway.

As for the experience thing...

I learnt a very valuable lesson a while back about believing everything your customers tell you about the last guy who sold them a service. Taking everything people say at face value and letting it impassion you to trash talk people is a bad idea and happily you HAVE NOT done this.

My point is don't start. :)

That said, yep I see jobs sometimes that guys with well more experience and far superior gear (everyone locally has better gear and more experience than I) have turned out and I have scratched my head wondering why it looks like it does.

I hope this is diplomatic enough as I'm just commenting on my own unconfirmed and subjective observations.

I remind myself though that I was not there when the customer and previous cleaner made the agreement about the service and fee.

One thing that *seems* (and that's all the proof I have) to be common is the fee. Most of the jobs I get that I better were flat rate room jobs. I hear figures of $30 per room irrespective of size pandered about. Naturally after being bitten by buying into this *information* and taking it at face value and making judgements on it I now shut up and take it with a shovel load of salt.

The only thing I can say is, when I ask myself "what kind of $30 service could I offer"?. And the answer is "I could vacuum it".

Nice work to you both, Cleaning looks out of this world good. Let your market and customer decide the service, it is their carpet after all. And don't be too hard on your seven year veteran. He may as yet pull one out of his backside one day that saves the day and then you'll thank yourself for having somebody with a few rodeos under his belt.

Everyday is a learning day for everybody.

Grant.

Definitely not trash talking any other specific company. If you notice this is a guy I just hired to help that came on with 7 yrs experience and I was shocked to know I knew more by far than he does than his 7 yrs. Now dont get me wrong hes a good guy and hard worker just pointing out my experience and how surprised I was to find out how much more I knew. A lot of that I have to credit TMF for much of that knowledge came from here. Thanks to all that have helped in getting me to this point and positioning me for growth...

As far as the wand marks, I hear you its not the first time we have debated this but that is my choice as I offer wand cleaning and when upgrade to go with the rotary most usually see something they are not used to. Also I do offer to rake it out after but most chose to show off their carpets where rotary washed.

Clean-Team

Dec 17, 2011
South Australia
Real Name
Grant Baverstock
Business Location
Australia
Definitely not trash talking any other specific company. If you notice this is a guy I just hired to help that came on with 7 yrs experience and I was shocked to know I knew more by far than he does than his 7 yrs. Now dont get me wrong hes a good guy and hard worker just pointing out my experience and how surprised I was to find out how much more I knew. A lot of that I have to credit TMF for much of that knowledge came from here. Thanks to all that have helped in getting me to this point and positioning me for growth...

As far as the wand marks, I hear you its not the first time we have debated this but that is my choice as I offer wand cleaning and when upgrade to go with the rotary most usually see something they are not used to. Also I do offer to rake it out after but most chose to show off their carpets where rotary washed.
Looks terrific anyway. Clean.

Kudos to your service.

Grant