6figa ask ~ Is Carpet Cleaning a Career or a Job? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

6figa ask ~ Is Carpet Cleaning a Career or a Job?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
He should tell them instead his paw paw will show him how to have a diversified portfolio of assets well into the millions by the time hes 40 w out having to go into 6figa student loan debt like their chump asses
True that. And I thought they looked confused before. :)

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Not much higher than a janitor??? Yikes! A friend with a large national cleaning company just offered me a large amount of clients in my area to service with janitorial work on most nights. I know practically nothing about janitorial work, so I have found a few experienced women to sub out the nightly work to. Even after paying them and my cost of the cleaning materials etc.....I'll still realize a substantial profit. Eventually all I will do is go in after they are done cleaning these businesses at night and look at my checklist to make sure they didn't miss anything and that the work was performed up to par. Looking at the jobsite duties of each place my friend sent me, it looks alot like maid's work. Of course in the beginning, I'll do the vacuuming and observe how these women are cleaning the other stuff just in case later on they quit on me, I'll know how to clean the places right by myself until I can hire replacements. Does that make me a "janitor"? Ha ha ha. Seriously Rob.......who cares what people think of us as cleaners. I know one thing for sure.........many people DO envy us being in business for ourselves. Being the captains of our own "economic ships" so to speak. Not having to answer to a boss. Not having to worry about corporate layoffs/downsizing.
Great points Larry.

Also I can't tell you how many people I've came across through the years (esp gossipy neighbors) who said among themselves "he must be selling drugs" or doing something "illegal" to accomplish what he has. Lazy bastards always making excuses for lacking ambition or gonads to break free and start their own business.

drift56

May 28, 2012
Real Name
Robert
How do most of you present this opportunity to prospective employees, as a Career or a Job?

I've concluded that to get across the commitment required to $uceed in this trade it MUST be viewed and presented as a Career.

Lest you have massive turnover of indifferent minded employees just chewing up your resources to earn a quick buck till a better "job" comes along

6'
Your either the Wolf or the Hound. Wolves live for the hunt and will not be fed. Hounds live for their masters but they must be given a lot of attention and well fed for them to stay loyal.

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
It is said that JOB stands for: Just Over Broke. A Career is something someone can be proud of which includes being able to support your family. Alot of low wage paying companies play the "heres your career!" game but they know these are just JOBS. Its just how long they can keep the employee till they leave for a better opportunity. That is part of their model. And thats their right because at the end of the day they are about making money. Its as simple as that. To me if a company wants loyalty they better offer a career. Guess what they get when they offer a job?

Dennis Anderson

Jul 16, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Anderson
It is said that JOB stands for: Just Over Broke. A Career is something someone can be proud of which includes being able to support your family. Alot of low wage paying companies play the "heres your career!" game but they know these are just JOBS. Its just how long they can keep the employee till they leave for a better opportunity. That is part of their model. And thats their right because at the end of the day they are about making money. Its as simple as that. To me if a company wants loyalty they better offer a career. Guess what they get when they offer a job?

To me a career is something you can steadily advance on (if you meet the standards at each level). A job is something you do when you work for someone else. Thus nearly everyone here does not have a job, they own a business and are business owners. Not sure owning a carpet cleaning business can be considered a career as generally there aren't many chances for advancement within the organization.

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
To me a career is something you can steadily advance on (if you meet the standards at each level). A job is something you do when you work for someone else. Thus nearly everyone here does not have a job, they own a business and are business owners. Not sure owning a carpet cleaning business can be considered a career as generally there aren't many chances for advancement within the organization.
For the most part I agree except where you say a job is where you work for someone. Most people with careers will always work for someone. We cant all be bosses. To me a career is something that: A. Allows me to comfortably support my family and myself B.Allows for advancement some degree IF I posess the talent and work ethic. A job is something most do because we dont have a career.