6figa ask ~ Is Carpet Cleaning a Career or a Job? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

6figa ask ~ Is Carpet Cleaning a Career or a Job?

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
You know I would think they would have more opportunities within the organization. With that being said I'm thinking along the lines of Service Master and the different services they offer. Perhaps ServiceMaster also has a good benefit package that might out out of reach with us small guys.

The way I see it with a O/O is you start out pulling hoses and maybe one day run the truck. But really, where do you go from there?
Buy out the owner at his retirement age...maybe.

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
We'd be foolish to think that the publics perception of carpet cleaners doesn't impact potential employees. We are viewed not much higher than a janitor really.

Think about it. When kids are growing up they are encouraged to be an astronaut.doctor,lawyer,president,fireman,policeofficer,teacher and many other prestigious job titles. You never hear them say "Johnny we want you to grow up and be a carpet cleaner". It's just not realistic to think that potential employees will walk in and consider it more than a job. It will be up to us to change the mindset.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app
However, the intelligent & enlightened amongst us,realize that ; career title be DAMMED, its about the moolah. I smirk when I tell my degreed buddies i clean dog shit daily.

" So Johnny, do you wanna make 6figas like Chris or 7 like Rob?"

Change the narrative to...
Johnny says "FVK YEHH"

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
My grandson is 10 years old. He is bright,energetic and humorous. I've watched him tell neighborhood children he is going to be a carpet cleaner. His friends give a cross look for a second then they say what they are going to do. Then the other kids say something positive.

One main objectives of TMF is to change public perception because god knows the majority of our industry leaders,carpet manufacturers and school organizations have only perpetuated the problem.

He should tell them instead his paw paw will show him how to have a diversified portfolio of assets well into the millions by the time hes 40 w out having to go into 6figa student loan debt like their chump asses

Reactions: aloha one

Dennis Anderson

Jul 16, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Anderson
Buy out the owner at his retirement age...maybe.
The owner of a Service Master? That might be a wise move. As far as a 0/0 who really has anything of real value, besides a beat up truck and some old equipment? Grant it there are some, but I would say few and far in-between.

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
You know I would think they would have more opportunities within the organization. With that being said I'm thinking along the lines of Service Master and the different services they offer. Perhaps ServiceMaster also has a good benefit package that might out out of reach with us small guys.

The way I see it with a O/O is you start out pulling hoses and maybe one day run the truck. But really, where do you go from there?
Freedom & Independence. Why make someone else rich at 30cents on the dollar when i can make MYSELF rich at 70cents on tge dollar AND I OWN IT.

But to some people their sense of worth comes from the "adda boy" of a boss.

I personally could give a sh*t.

SHOW ME THE MONEY !!!

Reactions: aloha one
Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
The owner of a Service Master? That might be a wise move. As far as a 0/0 who really has anything of real value, besides a beat up truck and some old equipment? Grant it there are some, but I would say few and far in-between.

Oh yea, a lot of fellas (99%) suck at being OO AND MULTI TRUCK. No doubt.

That's why no matter where you look the 99% rule holds true regardless of job/career.

It's not just in cc ya dig?

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
And that brings this full circle. If seen as a "job" , yea, its gonna suck bawlz. But when approached with the commitment & discipline of a career ...the skys the limit.

Case and point, heres a pic of what Cc has done for this OO. I paid off a mortgage in cash a few months back for one of my properties.

In less than 3 years i will be completely free of mortgages & debt.

NONE!!! Of My college degree buddies can say tge same

Dennis Anderson

Jul 16, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Anderson
And that brings this full circle. If seen as a "job" , yea, its gonna suck bawlz. But when approached with the commitment & discipline of a career ...the skys the limit.

Case and point, heres a pic of what Cc has done for this OO. I paid off a mortgage in cash a few months back for one of my properties.

In less than 3 years i will be completely free of mortgages & debt.

NONE!!! Of My college degree buddies can say tge same
I'm happy for you! I would say you are the exception and not the rule. ;) Here's to hoping everything works out well in those 3 years and goes as planned.

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
I'm happy for you! I would say you are the exception and not the rule. ;) Here's to hoping everything works out well in those 3 years and goes as planned.
I'm only the "exception" in 2013 because of the mass quantities of slackers that fail to take advantage of the Opportunities this Great Country offers to EVERYONE!!!

In the pionieering days of this country when Men were MEN I'd be The Rule.

6'

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
Nothing to gain by fear. Let's hope life doesn't send you a twist in the meantime, so your goal can be accomplished! :)
"hope" is chance word. I chose a long time ago to live by self determination.

"The bad things that happen to Me i somehow make them good. That means you cant do anything to hurt Me"

- Curtis Jackson a.k.a. 50 Cent

LarryJones

Mar 12, 2012
Florida
Real Name
Larry Jones
Business Location
United States
We'd be foolish to think that the publics perception of carpet cleaners doesn't impact potential employees. We are viewed not much higher than a janitor really.

Think about it. When kids are growing up they are encouraged to be an astronaut.doctor,lawyer,president,fireman,policeofficer,teacher and many other prestigious job titles. You never hear them say "Johnny we want you to grow up and be a carpet cleaner". It's just not realistic to think that potential employees will walk in and consider it more than a job. It will be up to us to change the mindset.

Not much higher than a janitor??? Yikes! A friend with a large national cleaning company just offered me a large amount of clients in my area to service with janitorial work on most nights. I know practically nothing about janitorial work, so I have found a few experienced women to sub out the nightly work to. Even after paying them and my cost of the cleaning materials etc.....I'll still realize a substantial profit. Eventually all I will do is go in after they are done cleaning these businesses at night and look at my checklist to make sure they didn't miss anything and that the work was performed up to par. Looking at the jobsite duties of each place my friend sent me, it looks alot like maid's work. Of course in the beginning, I'll do the vacuuming and observe how these women are cleaning the other stuff just in case later on they quit on me, I'll know how to clean the places right by myself until I can hire replacements. Does that make me a "janitor"? Ha ha ha. Seriously Rob.......who cares what people think of us as cleaners. I know one thing for sure.........many people DO envy us being in business for ourselves. Being the captains of our own "economic ships" so to speak. Not having to answer to a boss. Not having to worry about corporate layoffs/downsizing.

Reactions: lennyca

Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
www.expertcarpet-care.com
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
How do most of you present this opportunity to prospective employees, as a Career or a Job?

I've concluded that to get across the commitment required to $uceed in this trade it MUST be viewed and presented as a Career.

Lest you have massive turnover of indifferent minded employees just chewing up your resources to earn a quick buck till a better "job" comes along

6'
Unfortunately I have not seen an employee in ten years of this business ever consider this to be a career for them. Not even those that have lasted several years. When presented with opportunities to develop their "job" into a career such as offers of a management position or more responsibility for higher pay, they have always turned it down, disinterested in advancement. Those that would wish it to be a "career" try to start their own business.

LarryJones

Mar 12, 2012
Florida
Real Name
Larry Jones
Business Location
United States
Unfortunately I have not seen an employee in ten years of this business ever consider this to be a career for them. Not even those that have lasted several years. When presented with opportunities to develop their "job" into a career such as offers of a management position or more responsibility for higher pay, they have always turned it down, disinterested in advancement. Those that would wish it to be a "career" try to start their own business.
Can't really blame them if they want to go out on their own and start their own company.

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
Not much higher than a janitor??? Yikes! A friend with a large national cleaning company just offered me a large amount of clients in my area to service with janitorial work on most nights. I know practically nothing about janitorial work, so I have found a few experienced women to sub out the nightly work to. Even after paying them and my cost of the cleaning materials etc.....I'll still realize a substantial profit. Eventually all I will do is go in after they are done cleaning these businesses at night and look at my checklist to make sure they didn't miss anything and that the work was performed up to par. Looking at the jobsite duties of each place my friend sent me, it looks alot like maid's work. Of course in the beginning, I'll do the vacuuming and observe how these women are cleaning the other stuff just in case later on they quit on me, I'll know how to clean the places right by myself until I can hire replacements. Does that make me a "janitor"? Ha ha ha. Seriously Rob.......who cares what people think of us as cleaners. I know one thing for sure.........many people DO envy us being in business for ourselves. Being the captains of our own "economic ships" so to speak. Not having to answer to a boss. Not having to worry about corporate layoffs/downsizing.
Be prepared to walk.... A LOT. My biggest night is between 10-13 miles. Good luck to your find.

Yo

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
What's your definition of a "career"