6figa ask ~ Is Carpet Cleaning a Career or a Job? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

6figa ask ~ Is Carpet Cleaning a Career or a Job?

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
How do most of you present this opportunity to prospective employees, as a Career or a Job?

I've concluded that to get across the commitment required to $uceed in this trade it MUST be viewed and presented as a Career.

Lest you have massive turnover of indifferent minded employees just chewing up your resources to earn a quick buck till a better "job" comes along

6'

Reactions: matt30577
Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
I'll tell you what......and I may tag some folk on thos post bcuz i want feedback about this new idea ....what if We CHARGE them for the education, training & Apprenticeship to work for us.

Hell cuz I know if a fella works with Me for a year he will be more than capable of earning a 6figa income in this Trade.

I'm basically schooling them, right?

Dennis Anderson

Jul 16, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Anderson
A career? Good question. If you are a small owner -operator I guess it would be a job as there is little or no advancement beyond a few pay raises, a real dead end job. A large franchise one might be able to start at the bottom and work through the ranks and eventually own the place.

In your case if you say they can have a six figure salary in a year, maybe you have something going.

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
A career? Good question. If you are a small owner -operator I guess it would be a job as there is little or no advancement beyond a few pay raises, a real dead end job. A large franchise one might be able to start at the bottom and work through the ranks and eventually own the place.

In your case if you say they can have a six figure salary in a year, maybe you have something going.

Interesting. So what does a large franchise does thatll make it more of a Career than a small OO

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I think that no matter what you say or do when going through the hiring process they will view it as a job. Once they are hired you have to train them into the career mind set.
I'm agree with Jason on this one. Seems no matter who I've hired over the years they just viewed it as a "transition job" not a career. That is where we come in as mentioned. Train them and let them see the opportunity held out to them. Even establish a "ladder" that they can climb with earning potential.

I'm guilty of this Chris. Chewed through a ton myself. I kick myself to this day for not taking the advice I got from my friend the retired CEO of IBM. He gave me 5 pieces of advice. I followed the first 4 to a T but the last one I really missed the boat on till the last few years. It was;

"Cut your ducks early and keep your eagles around".

Err don't make my same mistake. :mad: I lost a few great eagles that if I could go back again I would but now they have moved on to "other" careers.

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
I'm agree with Jason on this one. Seems no matter who I've hired over the years they just viewed it as a "transition job" not a career. That is where we come in as mentioned. Train them and let them see the opportunity held out to them. Even establish a "ladder" that they can climb with earning potential.

I'm guilty of this Chris. Chewed through a ton myself. I kick myself to this day for not taking the advice I got from my friend the retired CEO of IBM. He gave me 5 pieces of advice. I followed the first 4 to a T but the last one I really missed the boat on till the last few years. It was;

"Cut your ducks early and keep your eagles around".

Err don't make my same mistake. :mad: I lost a few great eagles that if I could go back again I would but now they have moved on to "other" careers.
Lol, or "Hire slow, fire fast"

Dan K

Reactions: jeffk734

1stImpressions

Sep 8, 2011
Oklahoma
Real Name
Keith Cross
Business Location
United States
Good question...but while you're focusing on potential employees another good question is how many of us established cc's still think of it as a job, or is it now our trade, our career?

Sent from my SCH-R830 using TMF Forums mobile app

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
Good question...but while you're focusing on potential employees another good question is how many of us established cc's still think of it as a job, or is it now our trade, our career?

This could be said about any profession, imo. Firefighter, teacher, carpet cleaner, what ever. It's a mindset. A view on life, yours and everyone else. Perception is relative. Marketing is everything.

Gasoline

Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
Everyone's needs, goals and desires are different. Matching them up to another is somewhat of a miracle. Look a the divorce rate in America. A common purpose is all that we ask to share. KEEP the customer happy in order to KEEP the customer.

1stImpressions

Sep 8, 2011
Oklahoma
Real Name
Keith Cross
Business Location
United States
This could be said about any profession, imo. Firefighter, teacher, carpet cleaner, what ever. It's a mindset. A view on life, yours and everyone else. Perception is relative. Marketing is everything.
Sorry, I can't agree with that. Marketing is consumer focused and is absolutely vital, but one's mindset (career vs. job) will most likely determine the "vigor" with which one performs their job. Meaning...you can have the best marketing strategies around, but if its just a job then it will be reflected in your quality and you will be forced to rely on your marketing to keep getting new customers rather than your quality retaining return customers for you. Stanley Steamers is a prime example of this.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We'd be foolish to think that the publics perception of carpet cleaners doesn't impact potential employees. We are viewed not much higher than a janitor really.

Think about it. When kids are growing up they are encouraged to be an astronaut.doctor,lawyer,president,fireman,policeofficer,teacher and many other prestigious job titles. You never hear them say "Johnny we want you to grow up and be a carpet cleaner". It's just not realistic to think that potential employees will walk in and consider it more than a job. It will be up to us to change the mindset.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
How do most of you present this opportunity to prospective employees, as a Career or a Job?

I've concluded that to get across the commitment required to $uceed in this trade it MUST be viewed and presented as a Career.

Lest you have massive turnover of indifferent minded employees just chewing up your resources to earn a quick buck till a better "job" comes along

6'
Truly its up to you the business owner, for most of us the answer will be BOTH.
We currently have mainly part-timers so its just a job for them, couple are long term employees that it is a career.

If you want someone to make it a career we have to give them a realistic opportunity to make national median income which is around $43k year with some benefits. If they can't support a family then forget it.

It takes a major commitment on our part to provide ongoing weekly sales/service training to make them the best.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
My grandson is 10 years old. He is bright,energetic and humorous. I've watched him tell neighborhood children he is going to be a carpet cleaner. His friends give a cross look for a second then they say what they are going to do. Then the other kids say something positive.

One main objectives of TMF is to change public perception because god knows the majority of our industry leaders,carpet manufacturers and school organizations have only perpetuated the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

Gasoline

Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
Sorry, I can't agree with that. Marketing is consumer focused and is absolutely vital, but one's mindset (career vs. job) will most likely determine the "vigor" with which one performs their job. Meaning...you can have the best marketing strategies around, but if its just a job then it will be reflected in your quality and you will be forced to rely on your marketing to keep getting new customers rather than your quality retaining return customers for you. Stanley Steamers is a prime example of this.

I meant marketing internally as well as externally. As much as we, as employers, market to potential customers, we market to potential employees. It's all how you do that will determine if the employee views the position as a job, a profession or a career.

And that is not taking into account his needs, desires and goals. See what I mean, the planets must aline to make for the most synergistic possibility.

Yo

Gasoline

Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
ISO 9000 teaches there are internal and external customers. How you treat them will determine if they stay.

As I said everyone's needs, desires and goals are different. How you market to those will influence both positively and negatively. The choice is always theirs to stay or go.

Yo

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States

6'
AS their WORSE NIGHTMARE!!

1stImpressions

Sep 8, 2011
Oklahoma
Real Name
Keith Cross
Business Location
United States
I meant marketing internally as well as externally. As much as we, as employers, market to potential customers, we market to potential employees. It's all how you do that will determine if the employee views the position as a job, a profession or a career.

And that is not taking into account his needs, desires and goals. See what I mean, the planets must aline to make for the most synergistic possibility.

Yo

Ah, I see...In that case I apologize - I truly misunderstood what you were saying. Makes more sense now...

Carry on!

Dennis Anderson

Jul 16, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Anderson
Interesting. So what does a large franchise does thatll make it more of a Career than a small OO
You know I would think they would have more opportunities within the organization. With that being said I'm thinking along the lines of Service Master and the different services they offer. Perhaps ServiceMaster also has a good benefit package that might out out of reach with us small guys.

The way I see it with a O/O is you start out pulling hoses and maybe one day run the truck. But really, where do you go from there?