59.99 and 69.99 HOW DO THEY DO IT

BigLou

Jul 7, 2011
FL
Real Name
Luis Canino
Business Location
United States
I just don't get it i have read and read and read some more at all these specials for 59.99 for 3 rooms basic steam clean and 69.99 or 79.99 whole house specials up to 7 rooms basic steam clean i call and inquire they say no catch just a basic clean and they push for an appt which is good but how in the hell do they make any money with a crew and chemicals at 69.99 or hell even 79.99 a house if my math is in the ballpark

Each whole house basic clean is 85.58 out the door lets say 5 a day = 427.94
one tech @ 12 an hour = 96.00 a day not including benefits if there are any
fuel on a van or truck round abouts = 75-85 a day
chemicals on each job if done correctly 5-10 dollars just pre spray =25.00 a day
advertising all over the place 33.00 a day and thats a grand a month(way low) =33.00
i am missing maintenance costs, tires, oil changes etc with these basic costs that leaves 193.00 a day profit probably less and that is with one tech some trucks have two techs

DC07

Feb 27, 2011
MS
Real Name
Devin Carter
Business Location
United States
I geuss they do it to get in the door or desperate. Theres a owner operator in memphis that gets 6 bucks a room thats it no gimmicks and they say his work is perfect.

skierbri10

Feb 13, 2011
CO
www.peaktopeakcarpet.com
Real Name
Brian Bullock
Business Location
United States
I do a 59.99 special for 2 rooms. I have no helper and I don't advertise. If someone only wants one room I tell them it is still 59.99 so that is basically my minimum callout. However, the 59.99 jobs are few and far between. I normally get at minimum my $120 package. If you look at it you will see my basic cleanings are always $30 per room. I know this is not exactly what you are talking about, but I can offer lower prices because I have no monthly expenses except insurance, website and any chemicals I might need. My van I paid for with cash as well as my TM. The only way i see these super cheap guys making it is using non-professional chemicals and paid for portables. I don't know for sure though this is just my opinion.

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
There is a market for it..you just got to know how to pinch it...we have a local here that runs 3 or 4 very nice vans and has that type of advertisement all over them...he does pretty well for himself and I am always seeing one of his vans some where no matter what side of town I am on..they work in volume....and that is how they make there money...

it does not make all of them bad cleaners..but there is just certain limits that they have....there plan is to get in and get out so they can get as many homes done in one day....and like I said..there is a market for that...

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
I call these people out to customers that call me and ask if I offer these kind of specials. There are YouTube videos online were news companies have hired dozens of these guys and only 1 stuck to his price, every single one up the bill 200- to even 400!!!! It was nuts! They will say all kinds of stuff like "that doesn't include cleaner (pre spray) and all kinds of other stuff. I even heard a customer tell me they wanted 20 more dollars to flip the switch on his portable for the second vacume!!

I always stick to my guns on a 100 dollar minimum and 25 cents per square foot. That includes everything for the best cleaning possible except protector. And I offer two things right off the bat. That this will be the best cleaning you have ever had and will exceed your expectations or you do NOT pay me. And 30 day guarantee on the carpet not resoiling. 60 day if they buy protector! People go with me over the cheaper guys all the time because I'm nice but very matter of fact and no BS. They love it.

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
you live in my area so i assume you are talking about procarpet, they are Bait and switch.
Most of these specials state "basic clean" what this means is that unless the carpet looks like new the price is going up.
Your gas expense at 75-85 is way high. I spend about 120 a week per van and we are talking full size vans with TMs.
check out horizon carpet cleaning they have a whole house special for 34.95 pure bait and switch

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I wish there was a way to get rid of the bait and switch companys out there. They do nothing but give the whole industry a bad name and hurt us all. If you are serious about carpet cleaning, do a good job and run an honest business. Otherwise GET OUT OF HERE!!!!

BigLou

Jul 7, 2011
FL
Real Name
Luis Canino
Business Location
United States
Dmreed you hit the nail on the head with procarpet and i estimated 80 bucks on fuel high but i have a truck and haul a trailer and use propane which i love I guess i just don't have the heart for bait and switch. I give my prices up front and deliver a good service but i am not gonna give it away. I have looked at horizon and figured that much. I have also looked at stanley steemer and they charge 44 a room according to my zip code and what was entered into their online schedule thingy. I just can't walk into a home and have a customer expecting 35.00 service only to get a bill for 200 or even 400 bucks.

Procarpet is everywhere and i figure they subcontract work i have had a few calls where customers carpets have been ruined because the guys at procarpet must have used bleach to clean the carpets there were bleached areas and streaks everywhere.

BigLou

Jul 7, 2011
FL
Real Name
Luis Canino
Business Location
United States
I also havent been as busy as i would like to be my immediate goal is 2 jobs a day 4-5 days a week i know i can get there but its gonna take some time. I have google ad words up and running with decent response considering my small budget and i have handed out flyers and business cards to just about everyone i come across.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
My goal is 10-15 houses a week too, depending on size. I have been averaging about 10 a week, sometimes less. The average job I do out here is usually 5-6 rooms of carpet for an average of $150-180 per job. I love when I can add on other services in the home, I had a 5000 sq ft house last week that ended up being $1100 for carpet, drapery, upholstery and tile cleaning. I spent all day there and half of a second day.

DC07

Feb 27, 2011
MS
Real Name
Devin Carter
Business Location
United States
My goal is 10-15 houses a week too, depending on size. I have been averaging about 10 a week, sometimes less. The average job I do out here is usually 5-6 rooms of carpet for an average of $150-180 per job. I love when I can add on other services in the home, I had a 5000 sq ft house last week that ended up being $1100 for carpet, drapery, upholstery and tile cleaning. I spent all day there and half of a second day.

You are doing a lot better than me. I am in mississippi though.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
They do it by using contractors, so they only have 1 fixed expense for everything, say 35-38%.

The reason it is so successful is simple, most cleaners are no better then the subcontractors. They have same portable/entry level equipment, older vans or personal cars et. and struggle to find work. To a consumer they look same,so why bother paying more?

Put your customer eyeglasses on and look around, 9:10 cleaners look the same

So distinguish yourself, with several tiny details, separate from the pack.

BigLou

Jul 7, 2011
FL
Real Name
Luis Canino
Business Location
United States
Yep i agree i am new to this so i am looking for a need that is not being met and i think i am close to putting my finger on it soon as i do its game on.

Dbonezny

Oct 13, 2009
Houston Tx
www.carpetcleaninghoustonpro.com
Real Name
Jose
Business Location
United States
I have a guy literally 1 mile away from me that does 3 Rooms for $55. He now has 3 vans, 1 of which has a relatively brand new Inferno. I speak to him every now and again and he pays his crews 70/30 of every job, and they do anywhere from 7-15 a day, 6 days a week.

He tells me all the time how tired he is and how he "can't get out the hood"....so, I guess, whatever works for you.

It iritates me when I go to a client's house and give them my price and they say "WOW, what about those deals that are out there?"
Then I explain to them the bait and switch...and then they have the nerve to say "Oh yeah, i've gone through that before, it's suppose to be $39 but hand you a bill for $600"....

Ok, SO WHY did you just insult me then?

In other words, stupid is as stupid does. Find the better clients.

BigLou

Jul 7, 2011
FL
Real Name
Luis Canino
Business Location
United States
That the response i get from most clients WOW thats expensive and what about those deals........ i explain to them same thing people have come to expect low prices because of guys like the 3 room 55 dollar guy

Nick P

Sep 30, 2008
Florida
Real Name
Nick Palumbo
Business Location
United States
BigLou, i'm in the tampa area also. There is a guy around offering 39.99 for an entire house. Yeah right, I wouldn't get out of my truck for that. I also will not and do not pull the bait and switch. My price is my price and everyone I do work for get the same job done. I make sure every job is done right.

rjfdube

Dec 18, 2008
Pensacola
www.rickiefontenotsjanitorialservices.com
Real Name
Rickie Fontenot
Business Location
United States
Dmreed you hit the nail on the head with procarpet and i estimated 80 bucks on fuel high but i have a truck and haul a trailer and use propane which i love I guess i just don't have the heart for bait and switch. I give my prices up front and deliver a good service but i am not gonna give it away. I have looked at horizon and figured that much. I have also looked at stanley steemer and they charge 44 a room according to my zip code and what was entered into their online schedule thingy. I just can't walk into a home and have a customer expecting 35.00 service only to get a bill for 200 or even 400 bucks.

Procarpet is everywhere and i figure they subcontract work i have had a few calls where customers carpets have been ruined because the guys at procarpet must have used bleach to clean the carpets there were bleached areas and streaks everywhere.

Big Lou; wished I would have gotten that bleach call; It is a money maker for sure. You have to learn how to do bleach spot reapir. I make bank on that dude easy money.