500 feet of 2 inch hose plus 5 foot of 1.5 inch....will I have any suction left???? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

500 feet of 2 inch hose plus 5 foot of 1.5 inch....will I have any suction left????

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Todd when does your technical guide to cleaning book come out?

How's your leg doing?
I'm doing better. The leg has pretty much healed. I'm still having a bit of a hard time breathing because of the blood clots in my lungs. I've been cleaning a house or two a day.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Larger hose diameter is like moving the blower closer to the wand.

It's like a solution pump.

How long does it take to empty a ten gallon tank of water through your pump?

Now double the water volume to 20 gallons and see if the pump can push 20 gallons in the same amount of time, I dought it.

Air volume is like water volume, it all takes time to empty.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Larger hose diameter is like moving the blower closer to the wand.

I understand Todd's technical explanation, but @ over 400' my brain starts to wonder what the effect of going large to small would have.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I'm doing better. The leg has pretty much healed. I'm still having a bit of a hard time breathing because of the blood clots in my lungs. I've been cleaning a house or two a day.

Are they doing anything for the clots? Godspeed my friend.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I wonder how my boxxer 421 would handle 500 ft of hose....

Sent from my SM-G930P using TMF Forums mobile app

Pretty sure it would fail miserably. Most I've done with mine is 200 ft. and I'm pretty sure I could go at least another 50 w/o a problem. I believe a vacuum booster close to the wand would be the only solution for a lot of TM's going out that far or at least the best solution. It's the cfm that carries the water back to the tank. The longer the hose run the longer it takes to get that water recovered. If there is a lot of water in the vacuum hose it will kill almost all your lift. It would be similar to getting heavy foam in your vacuum line. I think this is probably the whole reason for the larger diameter hose or two 2 inch hoses. I think the blower on my Boxxer is rated to 300 cfm. Fortunately I've never needed more than a couple hundred feet of hose since I've been in this business.

Last edited:

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
that is the plan. WE have 2 with spray tanks on them we are bringing along. The worst traffic areas start at about 350-400 feet from the van.
have you thought about getting an inline vacuum booster? putting it inline at around 300 feet or so? takes one power cord.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Are they doing anything for the clots? Godspeed my friend.
Thank you. I'm still on the blood thinners which help the clots to dissolve. It takes a few months to work.

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
Pretty sure it would fail miserably. Most I've done with mine is 200 ft. and I'm pretty sure I could go at least another 50 w/o a problem. I believe a vacuum booster close to the wand would be the only solution for a lot of TM's going out that far or at least the best solution. It's the cfm that carries the water back to the tank. The longer the hose run the longer it takes to get that water recovered. If there is a lot of water in the vacuum hose it will kill almost all your lift. It would be similar to getting heavy foam in your vacuum line. I think this is probably the whole reason for the larger diameter hose or two 2 inch hoses. I think the blower on my Boxxer is rated to 300 cfm. Fortunately I've never needed more than a couple hundred feet of hose since I've been in this business.
Yeah it would probably. I have a 23 hp not a 21 in my 421 and I run 250' very well. I have not attempted more than that as I have only had it a week and havent had any thing require more than 250'. Are the inline boosters very effective?

Sent from my SM-G930P using TMF Forums mobile app

Sierra Clean Care

Feb 22, 2015
Real Name
Jeff T.
Here's a funny little story related to your misfortune..... Years ago, I was dating a woman that was a foodie..... We would go out to eat ALOT...... Most was very high end..... Some was not..... We got on this roasted garlic and warmed Brie cheese kick( spread garlic and cheese on crostini's)..... We at one point, we were eating between 2-5 heads of garlic a day for 3-4 weeks...... Long story short, she had her annual physical come up around the end of the garlic phase...... She went in, had the physical done, (blood work etc), and the next day, the doctors office called, saying they wanted to do more bloodwork...... We both got scared, wondering what was going on. When she went back to get the bloodwork done, her doctor said not to be alarmed, that there was something wrong with the test...... She inquired a little more, he went on to say, 'in 25 years of practice, I've never seen lower cholesterol'..... They retested, and sure enough, it came back with the same low count..... He asked what her secret was, to which she replied 'Ive eaten ALOT of garlic over the last month......' He said 'well, keep doing what you are doing, you've got the cleanest blood I've ever come across....' My point is Todd, get yourself on some garlic pills, they help clean your blood......

Jack

Oct 4, 2012
Washington
www.criticalcarpetcare.com
Real Name
Jack Jones
Business Location
United States
It's like a solution pump.

How long does it take to empty a ten gallon tank of water through your pump?

Now double the water volume to 20 gallons and see if the pump can push 20 gallons in the same amount of time, I dought it.

Air volume is like water volume, it all takes time to empty.
With a larger vac hose there's less restriction, wouldn't you say? And if there's less restriction the blower would be able to move air faster making longer distances possible without losing as much flow.

I remember back in the 70s, yeah, I'm one of the old guys, Steamway recommended going from 25' of 1 1/2" to 50' of 2" to I think 3" vac hose thereafter (it could have been 2 1/2" but I remembering it being huge) and it seemed to have really good air flow at long distances.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
With a larger vac hose there's less restriction, wouldn't you say? And if there's less restriction the blower would be able to move air faster making longer distances possible without losing as much flow.

I remember back in the 70s, yeah, I'm one of the old guys, Steamway recommended going from 25' of 1 1/2" to 50' of 2" to I think 3" vac hose thereafter (it could have been 2 1/2" but I remembering it being huge) and it seemed to have really good air flow at long distances.
Maybe 2, 2 inch hoses going 200 feet and then in to one 2 inch hose for the other 350 feet.

I do not know. I'am just an arm chair TM guy, I read a few things is all I know.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Here's a funny little story related to your misfortune..... Years ago, I was dating a woman that was a foodie..... We would go out to eat ALOT...... Most was very high end..... Some was not..... We got on this roasted garlic and warmed Brie cheese kick( spread garlic and cheese on crostini's)..... We at one point, we were eating between 2-5 heads of garlic a day for 3-4 weeks...... Long story short, she had her annual physical come up around the end of the garlic phase...... She went in, had the physical done, (blood work etc), and the next day, the doctors office called, saying they wanted to do more bloodwork...... We both got scared, wondering what was going on. When she went back to get the bloodwork done, her doctor said not to be alarmed, that there was something wrong with the test...... She inquired a little more, he went on to say, 'in 25 years of practice, I've never seen lower cholesterol'..... They retested, and sure enough, it came back with the same low count..... He asked what her secret was, to which she replied 'Ive eaten ALOT of garlic over the last month......' He said 'well, keep doing what you are doing, you've got the cleanest blood I've ever come across....' My point is Todd, get yourself on some garlic pills, they help clean your blood......

Just how much garlic did she eat?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
That's one thing I have been blessed with. Everyone in my family has low cholesterol.

Mastertek

Dec 13, 2013
My El Diablo has a 27 HP Kohler and a Kunkle valve . We have cleaned lift foyers in 14 story building going up the fire stairs to 250 feet hose length with great success .

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
My El Diablo has a 27 HP Kohler and a Kunkle valve . We have cleaned lift foyers in 14 story building going up the fire stairs to 250 feet hose length with great success .
Well blower is below you.... should have excellent vac. Pump works harder .
Try that run with the blower above you .... less vac, but pump works nicely.
@Spazznout did you try a trial run ? Lay out 500 ft vac and solution line , run pump and suck up water from a pail . I've never ran more than 250 ft with a 47 blower. Hope it works out for you.