5 Ways to Never "Leave money on the table"

Discussion in 'Salesmanship' started by rob allen, Aug 28, 2013.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Top Poster of Month

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,125 / 85 / -0
    My techs are paid commission. Yet often I see them leave money on the table. I have to drill it in their heads. Some get it,some don't. But as business owners we need to "make every job count". A lot of work and money goes into turning a lead into a paying client,from the phone call to the appointment to actually showing up at the door. Here are 5 ways cleaners leave money on the table;

1) Protector - So many cleaners NEVER ask clients for protector. Why? Blows my mind. I figured out why though. They don't believe it works. To sell something you must believe in it. If you don't believe it then the client sure isn't going to either. So what can you do? You must convince yourself.But how? Get a good brand protector. Get some paper towels and treat one piece. Run it under water. Then dip it in juice or wine. It should repel. And then you just make samples and show the clients. Here is the clincher,ask them this magic sentence..."Mrs Jones,would you like me to replace your protector for you today?" So ask,then make them believers and make more money!

2) Pet Urine - If you don't have a UV light by now then you are missing out. A good,high quality UV light is like an ATM machine. When clients see urine stains they want a solution and fast. That's your job to solve their problems. You should have a few stages of urine treatment. You should have proper deodorizers,a sub extraction tool and a little bit of padding around. Stage 1 we charge 75 for. Stage 2 is half the price of cleaning and stage 3 is 1-3x's the cleaning. See why I call the UV light an ATM machine?

3) Tile & Grout - More homeowners are moving to hard surfaces than ever. You better be moving towards it too. It's so easy to add 100-200 to a cleaning ticket. Like I said,work them a package deal. Start off by offering a free demo in the kitchen. Whip out that spinner and clean a small area and watch her eyes light up. Offer a package price,clean it and collect big check! (If you have good chems (like Tilemaster) you DON"T need a spinner,high pressure or high heat.) ;)

4) Furniture cleaning - It amazes me how many cleaners never even suggest furniture cleaning. I always do. Your already there. Work them a package deal. But first show them the benefits. How? Demo again. Take a damp towel and some home spotter. Rub against the areas like arms and head rests and show the client. You and her will be amazed. Mention how soils,oils and bacteria builds up. You will see your furniture sales explode!

5) Rug Cleaning - Area rug cleaning has a larger curve but it's still not rocket science. So many are scared of them but let's face it. They don't have the fancy rug cleaning equipment in the Middle East. They just lay the rugs on an incline,get some soapy detergent and scrub a dud dub. You really don't need to do much more except when you have urine. Of course you must test the rugs and use a dye stabilizer. But then just like a toilet,flush it,clean it and dry it. Collect check. Best to take to your shop or coop with a shop that specializes in rugs. But it's no sin to clean a rug top down. Just have some good chems on the truck,cut the heat and pressure down and get her done! :p

This is just 5 areas. There are many more like carpet repairs,water damage,garage floor cleaning,wood floor restoration,duct cleaning,color sealing and much much more. Now don't get me wrong. You should never oversell. Just suggestively soft sell. Don't let fear take over. Just ask at every job. Absolutely NEVER oversell,be aggressive or have a bad demeanor. If so you will never be back. People want to be sold "useful" services. Never sell something someone doesn't need. If you can prove to a client they need something then they are more apt to buy it.

Remember these two sayings;

1) Timid salesman have skinny children

2) A presentation without a demonstration is just a conversation.

Think of these and never leave money on the table again!!

Rob

• Like Like x 18
    • Thanks Thanks x 14
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Frank DiGi

Premium VIP

Sep 3, 2008
    none
    pa
    Ratings:
    +5,493 / 3 / -0
    Good post Rob! I agree with you ... I like carpet repair too ..I found it very profitable as a add on.. Easy fix's .like a burn hole ..fast cash!
    Upsell is always a good thing to drill into your employes... Sales good skills are easy!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jeffdzr

Jeffdzr Active Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Male
    Carpet Cleaning / Martial Arts Instructor
    Lexington,SC
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    So rob just wondering,

For your pet urine treatment, the three stages I also do. But wanted a better break down. Most of the time if a client has pets still in the house I offer

Stage 1. Deodorization with cleaning for $15 per room , meaning just some spots here and there

Stage 2. For heavy areas with the pet still in the house, $30 per medium water claw using OSR and flushing the pad

Stage 3. Pet odor removal by sq ft, changing the padding if no pet in the house anymore.

Now sometimes I have come across full rooms soaked in pet urine, my call is anything over one half the room size I recommend replacement with a local carpet sales company, where I get a kick back from. Is this something close to what you do.

Second question was tile cleaning, do feel it best to demo with a hand tool on one tile, or break out the spinner. I don't do this that much and need to, but get caught up cleaning to much. Just wondering if a qt sprayer with the tile master and the hand tool is easier in and out, and not such a change over set up. More like Johnny on the spot.

Do you give your technicians an extra half hour per job for sale time to up sale?

On furniture I have seen the old white towel and vacuum trick, do you prefer that or the neutral cleaner and white towel wipe down better over vacuuming an arm down.

Have you done anything with wood floor cleaning yet?

And as for protector, is their a point you know the customers carpet is not worth putting the product down, it's to beat up. Most time I am asking my customers how old the carpet is and when the last cleaning was done professionally. If I get a good cleaning out of it and their are not heavy traffic wear patterns , I suggest protector all the times am getting a 50/50 return. I usually close the deal with saying " look how good it looks now, don't you want to keep it that way"

Just some thoughts and questions.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,248 / 11 / -1
    Great reminders, Rob.

To help with the demo part of carpet protectors, there is great kit with samples of protected and unprotected carpet that you can get when you purchase Maxim Advanced for carpet.

Keep on the watch for something new to help you make money on pet urine jobs. Coming soon.

• Like Like x 3
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jpais

Jpais Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +788 / 2 / -0
    Rob- Is tile master safe for stone? I know it works for ceramic but not sure on stone... I'm not really a stone cleaner... I do clean ceramic tile but am not familiar with stone.

6. Brian_g

Brian_g Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +466 / 2 / -0
    Just to add to Rob's list:

6. Extra rooms.

I notice a lot of people only get a few rooms done. It seems the easiest way to add to the bill is to get them to have additional rooms cleaned. You don't have to learn any new skills and you already have the chemicals and equipment there. I'm just not sure how to do this. Usually, most customers already know what rooms their having done when I get there. I usually just agree to do what they ask for. Any tips on how to sell extra rooms?

• Like Like x 1
  7. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,687 / 84 / -0
    You could tell them that you noticed there are a few other rooms that they are not getting cleaned and ask if they would be interested in getting a price for those rooms as well. You could mention that by adding the additional rooms they will qualify for a special your running or a discount.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,248 / 11 / -1
    Call the client's attention to the wonderful way the carpet is responding to your cleaning. "Mrs. Smith, since the Living room is looking so great, would you like me to go ahead and add the dining room and master bedroom while I am here and you have already set aside time for the carpet cleaning project? I can add on those rooms for only $xx."

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. PGF~Clene

PGF~Clene New Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hi Rob,
    These are excellent tips to upsell more services while doing carpet cleaning services. We are currently in the process of adding more services like: tile, grout, ceramic and all the other extra cleanings that would increase revenues; and will certainly try these techniques, because my husband wants to come off the truck and hire a technician or two. And we know that the only way we can do this would be to increase our profits to be able to pay our techs and cover our overall costs.

So my question would be, when adding the extra services how much time should we allow between jobs so that we could be on time for the next appointment and not be late and show a bad impression to the next client; as we like to respect the clients time as they may need to leave after we are finish cleaning? And sometimes we may get a client to ask if we provide upholstery or wood floor cleaning, and we don't want to leave that money on the table for them to call another company out to do the extras if we have not allowed enough time in between jobs.

Or do you think having 2 technicians in the truck would help with the times between jobs?

Thanks for the post! Great info
    Taylor

• Like Like x 1
  10. Benjamin Doss

Benjamin Doss Active Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Male
    Illinois
    Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    I always just say something along the lines of "why don't I get you quoted for those extra rooms today as well ma'am" this of course is all taking place during the walkthrough.

Usually they have no problem letting me add it to the quote.

Furniture I pick up as I am cleaning. "I noticed you have a very nice sofa that could also use some care. Would you like me to go ahead and clean that for you while I am here?"

It becomes second nature eventually.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. the rugman

the rugman Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Male
    CLEANING FOOL!
    Warwick, NY
    Ratings:
    +1,555 / 2 / -0
    I call it my "while we are here" approach. While we are here Ms Smith - we can clean that sofa for $xx - it is always much more cost effective to do it while we are here as it saves us the time and expense to return so now is a good time to have it done.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Responder

Responder Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Male
    Pikesville, MD
    Ratings:
    +1,027 / 5 / -0
    Do you actually charge less because you are there? Would you also charge less if it was added to the rest of the quote over the phone?

13. Artie09

Premium VIP

Dec 17, 2012
    Male
    Owner and operater
    Azusa , CA
    Ratings:
    +3,120 / 14 / -0
    He means as an upsell while at the home. I do it all the time...
    Offer a better price since your already there and to convince the home owner of the deal

• Like Like x 2
  14. the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
    Male
    CLEANING FOOL!
    Warwick, NY
    Ratings:
    +1,555 / 2 / -0
    I do when I am at the home - anything booked on the phone gets the regular price - there is always something else that could be cleaned "while you are there".

• Like Like x 3
  15. Deco

Deco Active Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +223 / 1 / -0
    Good points Rob, I know some of your competition in VB doesn't push much protector and even the commission guys are typically not geared/trained for upsales.

• Like Like x 1
  16. PGF~Clene

PGF~Clene New Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Rob,
    How much would you recommend to charge for upholstery cleaning?

17. Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Mrs.SpeedySteamer Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Apr 26, 2012
    Female
    Business Branding
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Ratings:
    +4,076 / 4 / -0
    Up selling is something we enjoy doing with our clients. We hate the phrase, "I didn't know you performed that service." This is why we like to keep our clients well educated in what we do from our discount clients to our high end clients.

Asking them when was the last time they had their sofa cleaned is a good lead in to upholstery cleaning.

For our Vacant Home special there are four types.
    1. Move in Renters
    2. Move in Homeowners
    3. Move Out Renters
    4. Move Out Homeowners (changing to renting or selling)
    If the client is a move in homeowner they're basking in the after glow of buying a house. You can now try to up sell carpet protector to extend the life of their carpet.
    Sorry got off, for upholstery cleaning if they turn you down and time permits you can offer a Free power vac to their sofa in the area you cleaned. Make sure you have an external filter attached to your hose prior to doing this.
    For some client's money is tight and they may just need to get the bare minimum when they want the max. You have to respect these decisions and always leave your contact information and keep in touch with them.
    One of our yearly repeat clients is a woman who has a tight budget, but appreciates a good carpet cleaning.
    Establishing a relationship will help not leave money on the table. Why? because a repeat client is always better then a one time cleaning + up sell.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen Strategies for Success

Jul 15, 2008
    Director of Training, Jon-Don's Strategies for Suc
    Santiago, Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +2,407 / 8 / -0
    Lotsa good points above and kudos to Rob for starting this thread.

One upsell I love is offering to restore all the concrete open areas in their garage. Your hoses are already there so why not do a demo area in their worst area with a spinner? Bang! Most of our SFS members are getting 100.00 to 125.00 for a 2 car garage and it takes about half an hour!

Steve Toburen
    www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS A while back I ran a TOP TEN Ways to Make More Money from Each Job series on our SFS site. Click HERE to quickly review all TOP TEN. (Some of which have already been mentioned by Rob and others above. (Thousands of years ago someone much smarter than me stated, "There is nothing new under the sun.")

• Like Like x 1
  19. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Top Poster of Month

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,125 / 85 / -0
    Good point Tiffany. I constantly remind my guys to "suggestive sell" never "oversell". Demonstrations are a great way to offer services without high pressure. This has worked best for us.

20. the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
    Male
    CLEANING FOOL!
    Warwick, NY
    Ratings:
    +1,555 / 2 / -0
    I will never forget the first time a customer asked me if I knew anybody that cleaned furniture! I mistakenly thought they all knew what we did. Rest assured - that was that last time anybody ever had to ask me that one!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1