3x 8.4’s crushing drums

NickNZ

Jul 14, 2016
Real Name
Nick Kelly
IMG_0823.JPG
IMG_0824.JPG

Trying to make an interceptor tank to collect debris with my gutter vac. Looks like I’m gunna need something stronger!

Reactions: Ymetimme

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Lol been there done that. Try air compressor tank. Drill and use sabre saw to make hole for port lid. Hole saw holes for your pvc fittings. They are heavy though.

Reactions: LeeRoy and NickNZ

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

NickNZ

Jul 14, 2016
Real Name
Nick Kelly
Lol been there done that. Try air compressor tank. Drill and use sabre saw to make hole for port lid. Hole saw holes for your pvc fittings. They are heavy though.
I’ve had a quick look online for compressor tanks, it doesn’t look as easy to get them over here for prices that you guys might likely pay but it would be a good way to go I’m sure

NickNZ

Jul 14, 2016
Real Name
Nick Kelly
This has worked for others using 2 8.4's. . You will need to make a lid though.

Everbilt 18 in. x 22 in. Sump Pump Basin

@Jim Davisson

This would probably be the best option I’ve found over here so far

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey Bayliss
Do you really need that much suction/lift for gutters??
What about a vac relief on those cheap drums haha

NickNZ

Jul 14, 2016
Real Name
Nick Kelly
Do you really need that much suction/lift for gutters??
What about a vac relief on those cheap drums haha
Yes most definitely need it to pick up the heavy stuff so the vac relief would kinda defeat the purpose but, for leaves etc it's not as critical as thats more about cfm. the alloy tank in the picture handles the vacuum now but I cover a pretty large area so having the extra holding capacity without having to manually empty the main tank is the goal. I'm running 100-150 ft of hose on most jobs but have gone to 200

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I’ve had a quick look online for compressor tanks, it doesn’t look as easy to get them over here for prices that you guys might likely pay but it would be a good way to go I’m sure
Find them used. Youll pay an arm and a leg just for some steel. When compressor burns out they throw them out. Scrap yard, garage sales... the sump basin would be easier to work with though. Air tank might require some welding/fabricating.

Reactions: NickNZ

NickNZ

Jul 14, 2016
Real Name
Nick Kelly
So it should be pulling like 15"hg?
I haven’t got any meters to test but yeah I think it should be around that from what I’ve read, originally I had 2x 8.4 in series but the 3 motor setup is far superior.. heaps more airflow even though it might have a slight penalty in lift but it’s an all round far stronger system

DakotaG

Dec 20, 2018
Real Name
Dakota Gray
I haven’t got any meters to test but yeah I think it should be around that from what I’ve read, originally I had 2x 8.4 in series but the 3 motor setup is far superior.. heaps more airflow even though it might have a slight penalty in lift but it’s an all round far stronger system
Do you know how to weld? Or okay with spending 200-300 for a welder to do it? Lol... Does the whole top need to be removable to clean out the debris or do u use some kind of inline filter?..I'm not really understanding what you need it for, are u trying to replace your bigger container with this?

NickNZ

Jul 14, 2016
Real Name
Nick Kelly
Do you know how to weld? Or okay with spending 200-300 for a welder to do it? Lol... Does the whole top need to be removable to clean out the debris or do u use some kind of inline filter?..I'm not really understanding what you need it for, are u trying to replace your bigger container with this?
No I’ll end up getting something fabricated, the tank in the background of the picture does the job now, it’s split into 2 compartments and works awesome to filter the debris and be able to pumpout so the extra tank is really just about being able to work longer before having to go somewhere to dump the debris so my theory is a second tank/drum beside the main tank, I’ll run an overflow balance pipe to the main tank so as the water fills it will head over on its own without needing to go through the vacuum Input if that makes sense, This is my main tank now
IMG_0621.JPG
IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0621.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG
IMG_0624.JPG
IMG_0625.JPG
IMG_0626.JPG
IMG_0627.JPG
IMG_0628.JPG
IMG_0629.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG