3.2 spitfire | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

3.2 spitfire

Kenny_24

Jul 24, 2019
Real Name
Kenneth
Hey guys,

I had a 23 hp liquid cooled truck machine for a long time but through time got out of the business, I’m now wanting to start doing it again.

Properly maintained how many hours do you think a 3.2 spitfire with original 16 hp is good for? The one I’m looking at has 3,000 hrs on it.

I know it’s a tough question, just wondering your thoughts?

Thanks

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
@Jim Davisson is a guy whose mechanical expertise - and opinions - I would trust above most others.

HydraMaster has been known to build some very long-lasting equipment (upwards of 50k hours on at least one known unit), especially in the older units where everything is mechanical rather than depending on sensors and computers.

With that said, even the best machine doesn't last forever, and with Spitfires being long since discontinued, support is going to be limited at best. A savvy mechanic can do most everything himself, but would be limited by the amount of time and effort he wants to put into working on the machine rather than cleaning.

Major components of ANY brand of truckmount - blower, pumps, engine, etc - are eventually going to need replacement, and those replacements start being necessary at anything from 2500-5000 working hours depending on how well the machine has been cared for. Also be aware of any possible freezing issues the unit has had - freeze damage is sneaky, and quite expensive to repair.

In other words, a Spitfire might be a great machine, but at 3000 hours you're heading into major parts territory. Make sure it's vetted by a mechanic before purchase, and have someone reliable to work on it if you cannot (or don't want to) work on it yourself.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The open design and more mechanical triggered design is way more shade tree mechanic friendly. It doesn't try to be quiet, hold heat on major components all day, everyday and could be rebuilt easily on a budget if you are handy.

It will produce great vacuum, good flow and ok heat... Basically everything you need if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

5000 hours is what most consider optimal working lifespan of a well cared for air-cooled 4 stroke, 10,000 hours on a pump easy and blowers can go north of 30,000 hours.

Entry level units suffer from a death of a thousand cuts. The first owner is learning to use and care for it, the second beats the brakes off of it and so on. Many easy and cost effective things can be done to get a decent machine like you are looking at, to get a number of years more service from it if it's in good enough shape and you are mechanically inclined to do so. If you don't like working on things after a long day dealing with the public look at spending more upfront with less hours. We are still running a Kohler 20 HP with 5500+ hours and expect another 1000 easy...

Reactions: Mama Fen

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
How much is the spitfire for sale for? You could spend a bit more and get a relia built TM, these are excellent machines.

No bs just total workhorse, no sensors, computers, etc.

You could probably get a brand new 33 blower unit for well under 10k brand new. Weve been running a relia built 45 for a long time now, its bullet proof.

20190205_160249.jpg

Reactions: LeeRoy