2010 Freightliner Sprinter - Do or Don't?

[email protected]

Sep 7, 2017
Long Beach
Real Name
Jay
Business Location
United States
Worked out a good deal on a '10 Freightliner Sprinter.. 75k miles for 20k cash.

I was trying realyyyyy hard to get a new transit with 10k down, 723-729 credit score and 60k in the business account. Got DENIED. wth? got approved for a passenger vehicle for personal use but on the commercial side? so disappointed in this outcome.. doesn't make too much sense. Especially since I was just approved for a 10k chase business card?

anywho I found this sprinter and it looks pretty good, I worry about the wood floor, what does the floor look like after taking that out? any major known problems or does anyone here have one?

Last edited:

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Friend runs a couple of the Mercedes (exact same van, different logo). One is bare wood and he has no trouble with it, but that's his repair van so very few things that could get water all over the place go in that one. The other he put down epoxy on the wood. He transports power washers, auto scrubbers, all kinds of equipment. If something spills or it starts to get dirty he just opens it up and hoses it out, nice and clean.

I don't know what it looks like under the wood, but I assume its just metal floor like any other van or truck might have, just covered in plywood for more durability.

manbearpig

Mar 17, 2017
Real Name
Mike Pollock
Worked out a good deal on a '10 Freightliner Sprinter.. 75k miles for 20k cash.

I was trying realyyyyy hard to get a new transit with 10k down, 723-729 credit score and 60k in the business account. Got DENIED. wth? got approved for a passenger vehicle for personal use but on the commercial side? so disappointed in this outcome.. doesn't make too much sense. Especially since I was just approved for a 10k chase business card?

anywho I found this sprinter and it looks pretty good, I worry about the wood floor, what does the floor look like after taking that out? any major known problems or does anyone here have one?

I had a 2005 dodge sprinter....everything broke on it constantly. The engine finally seized up at 101,000 miles. Engineered to fail. I would avoid. The only good thing about it was I ended up getting a new transit, so far it's been perfect 32,000 miles, no issues. I was able to buy the transit with 0 down and I think I was in a bit worse shape than what you posted. I believe ford has some good incentives right now as well.

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
Talk to the credit manager at the Ford dealership. Sometimes they can work magic. If you can pay off all of your credit cards your credit score will jump significantly if you are carrying much of a balance (over 5% of your potential credit borrowing on your card).

If your parents have a very old credit card that they can put you on to increase the average age of your credit you might get another 10 or 15 points.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I've only got three guys running Sprinters, and my own bad experience with a Dodge (2000 Intrepid with blown engine at 45k) makes me leery of anything wearing horns regardless of where the parts are made - however, my guys report NO problems so far, and are thrilled with the space, so I have to put my own personal bias aside.

Other fellows are using Transits, and love them too. I'd say in this area, given the feedback we've seen overall, the performance of both units has been about equal.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I've only got three guys running Sprinters, and my own bad experience with a Dodge (2000 Intrepid with blown engine at 45k) makes me leery of anything wearing horns regardless of where the parts are made - however, my guys report NO problems so far, and are thrilled with the space, so I have to put my own personal bias aside.

Other fellows are using Transits, and love them too. I'd say in this area, given the feedback we've seen overall, the performance of both units has been about equal.
Mercedes makes the sprinter and the only thing different from the Dodge, Mercedes and Freightliner sprinters is the emblem glued to the thing. I know a number of guys that run the sprinters to 400,000+ miles with no problems to report. Take care of the maintenance and they should run for years.

And as I posted that it occurred to me, guys running up till the 2008 have had no problems. After that they started putting the new emissions stuff in and for at least the next 4 years Sprinters started having a lot of breakdowns due to emissions systems. I don't know if they managed to get that figured out in newer models or not.

Jul 28, 2016
Real Name
Jay
Thanks for the info. About credit balance, I have 30k in available credit through credit cards and only one card has a 2k balance on it for credit building purposes. So my utilization is very low. I went in thinking I was getting approved for sure. I spent the last 4 years working hard on making my credit better for my plan to buy a house next year. (5 year plan from when I was an employee) well, that money has now been diverted into starting this new business.

Sucks that I may end up paying for everything in cash..

PhilipW

Nov 29, 2015
South Carolina
Real Name
Philip wallman
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the info. About credit balance, I have 30k in available credit through credit cards and only one card has a 2k balance on it for credit building purposes. So my utilization is very low. I went in thinking I was getting approved for sure. I spent the last 4 years working hard on making my credit better for my plan to buy a house next year. (5 year plan from when I was an employee) well, that money has now been diverted into starting this new business.

Sucks that I may end up paying for everything in cash..
Just FYI- carrying a balance on a credit card does absolutely nothing to "build" your credit. That's an old wives tale that needs to stop.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I have a Sprinter, been good so far and I love the space. Mine is a bit older (2003), I bought it 2 years ago with 117k miles and now it has 160k+. It has been in the shop once to replace a fuel line and to change the turbo vacuum sensor. It is a desiel so it should be good for another 300k miles if I take care of it.

Jul 28, 2016
Real Name
Jay
Just FYI- carrying a balance on a credit card does absolutely nothing to "build" your credit. That's an old wives tale that needs to stop.

FYI I built my credit as far as 729 from a 480 lol. I took a lot of advice from professionals and it worked. I said I had 2k left on one card, doesn't mean I'm making minimum payments or anything. The hit my credit took when I put 4K on it is far less then the points I gained from making 200-400 payments each month. All I can say is the numbers don't lie.

I also just got word that I didn't get approved because we were asking for a 6 year loan. We put it in as a 5 year and got approved today.

Now we are working on getting a better rate.. at 7.4 right now.

Reactions: igare and waxman

cleanimage

Sep 12, 2006
My advice, not that year.

I own a 2006 and spent countless hours in research. Mine currently has 180k with a few problems and problems are not cheap to fix.

Plus is, I get 18mpg carrying 10k

2004-2006 was the best years, prior to new regulations.

The problem is cost of repairs

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
FYI I built my credit as far as 729 from a 480 lol. I took a lot of advice from professionals and it worked. I said I had 2k left on one card, doesn't mean I'm making minimum payments or anything. The hit my credit took when I put 4K on it is far less then the points I gained from making 200-400 payments each month. All I can say is the numbers don't lie.

I also just got word that I didn't get approved because we were asking for a 6 year loan. We put it in as a 5 year and got approved today.

Now we are working on getting a better rate.. at 7.4 right now.
That's great but truth is that doesn't sound right either. They do 72 months all the time.

I've had the finance department at a dealer completely screw things up before. Maybe try a different dealer. I just bought a new truck and it was super, super easy. And I own a Transit too.

[email protected]

Sep 7, 2017
Long Beach
Real Name
Jay
Business Location
United States
Buying a brand new transit tomorrow, medium roof 250 with tow package @ 6% + 1000.00 towards my wrap install, 10k down but I think ill put a little more down to drop the payment a little. after incentives, I got the van down to 28.5K not including the 1k cash for the wrap. happy with this deal.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Buying a brand new transit tomorrow, medium roof 250 with tow package @ 6% + 1000.00 towards my wrap install, 10k down but I think ill put a little more down to drop the payment a little. after incentives, I got the van down to 28.5K not including the 1k cash for the wrap. happy with this deal.
You'll love it even though it's a mid roof. Did you get the ecoboost or the base engine?

[email protected]

Sep 7, 2017
Long Beach
Real Name
Jay
Business Location
United States
I'm coming out of a 2017 High Roof, looks better proportioned with the Medium Roof. We were able to utilize a ton of space with that high roof tho, adding a rug rack and hanging a electric vac reel from the ceiling. not sure i can do that with this shorter version.. I went with the base engine, the eco boost would have been nice but I could live without it.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
I'm coming out of a 2017 High Roof, looks better proportioned with the Medium Roof. We were able to utilize a ton of space with that high roof tho, adding a rug rack and hanging a electric vac reel from the ceiling. not sure i can do that with this shorter version.. I went with the base engine, the eco boost would have been nice but I could live without it.
What happened to the high roof transit?