2004 Prochem performer 405 A15 motor keeps bogging and shutting down.

Mas

Feb 26, 2018
Goleta california
Real Name
Masood Amirkhani
Business Location
United States
Hello dear TMFers out there, I’ve been haggling with my main equipment the 405 shutting down on me, I have a feeling it’s related to the carburator. Strange is that when I pull my choke all the way out it stays on and keeps going.ive used cleaners but didn’t help much! Could it be the speed governor or needs a new carb, I would appreciate some feed back.

Mas

Feb 26, 2018
Goleta california
Real Name
Masood Amirkhani
Business Location
United States
I was busy working and fine tuning my other TM BL thermal vortec
But I’ll look into it soon.thank you both,,

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Be careful not to damage the neck of the carburetor if you decide to tighten any bolts. The intake is aluminum and the spacer is very delicate and hard to find. A quick and easy way to find a leak before doing anything is to spray ether or starter fluid at the intake and see if the RPM's jump.
Sounds like an air/fuel issue as someone stated above. If you decide to adjust the carburetor it needs to set at the richest most steady RPM. A tachometer with inductive pickup will help.

Feb 26, 2018
Goleta california
Real Name
Masood Amirkhani
Business Location
United States
Be careful not to damage the neck of the carburetor if you decide to tighten any bolts. The intake is aluminum and the spacer is very delicate and hard to find. A quick and easy way to find a leak before doing anything is to spray ether or starter fluid at the intake and see if the RPM's jump.
Sounds like an air/fuel issue as someone stated above. If you decide to adjust the carburetor it needs to set at the richest most steady RPM. A tachometer with inductive pickup will help.
Thank you so much for such a detailed instruction
I did spray carb cleaner in and around it’s housing but no change in RPM, I used 2 bottles, also twisted air mixture screw up and down to see if any changes but not a whole lot.i have an old mechanic neighbor who works on small engines
That maybe able to fix the problem.
Thanks Ara,,
Masood A

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Thank you so much for such a detailed instruction
I did spray carb cleaner in and around it’s housing but no change in RPM, I used 2 bottles, also twisted air mixture screw up and down to see if any changes but not a whole lot.i have an old mechanic neighbor who works on small engines
That maybe able to fix the problem.
Thanks Ara,,
Masood A
You're welcome. So now you know there are no air leaks on the intake and no need to mess with tightening the neck and intake. Also, refrain from turning the air/fuel screw any further. That's not really the correct way to adjust it. It's not a lawn mower or a snow blower. You can damage the valvetrain if the mixture is not right. It's very easy to get lost so it's best to start from square one when you adjust the fuel mixture.

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
Ok if you know it's not the carburetor itself. If it is just boggling down when you put it under a load. Look at the governor linkage. The long rod that goes from the carburetor to the governor below. When you put a load on the unit it usually will go down and then come back up. That's the governor working. If it's not moving then there's your issue. Also if you look on the governor there's a large headed bolt slotted for a flat tip screwdriver. That's a dip stick. Check the oil level.