Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
www.instantsteamclean.com
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
I've always used cheap Westpak knock off wands for my TM's - all 1.5" tubing. Anybody ever switch from 1.5" to 2" and notice a difference in air flow and lift? I'm assuming that if I switch to 2" Bentley's I might get better air flow and as long as I'm using a glide (like I always do) to accelerate air at the end of the wand I should get the same or better lift.

Just curious if it's worth switching - if anybody has directly noticed a difference between 1.5" and 2" tubing - I know there have been no formal tests (just like about everything in this industry) but maybe there are some anecdotal reports...?

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
I switched, based on advice here. I have better drying times, better cleaning; but I also stepped up to a better wand. I now need to step up to a more flexible 2 inch hose. The stiff ones I have are hard to manage.

bjones2004

Feb 3, 2013
Real Name
Brandon Jones
The Bentley wand to me is amazing. My arms and shoulders thank me everyday.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TMF Forums mobile app

ASAP

Feb 1, 2011
Ca
Real Name
Pete DLP
Business Location
United States
I noticed a HUGE difference.... It seems as if the air flow is doubled... It suction sound actually hurts my ears...

Not sure if it does the same Porty's.

Piperton Rugsucker

Apr 1, 2012
TN
Real Name
Troy Cline
Business Location
United States
I switched over to a 2" tube years ago and never looked back. The vacuum is a lot stronger and you can use a wider wand. I currently use a 16" beast PMF that is my go-to wand. I have 2- 14" wands. One is a westpak and the other is the green glide- (CMP?) The key IMHO is to get a flexible 2" lead hose that you're not constantly wrestling with. Surprisingly dry time seem to be about the same with all of them.

I'm an anomaly. I actually like the weight of that 2"-16"wide beast with a glide. Most will say it's too heavy and clumsy. I feel it flushes out the carpets very good, covers a ton of sf/hour and I hardly ever get "chattering" because of the weight/design/ angle? I'm not sure, but it works for me.

When I use a porty and have to use a 1.5" I feel like I'm using a toy.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I switched last year from a 1.5 to a 2 inch wand. I also went with 2 inch hose all the way to the wand. I have noticed a big increase in airflow and a decrease in dry times. I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference on lift as you can only get so much lift before the relief valve opens.

Honestly the decrease in dry times is an hour or two. I don't think an hour will make much difference to the customer and it is debatable if the faster dry time is worth the extra wear and tear it puts on your body having to hold a biger, heavier wand. That being said I will never go back to a 1.5 inch wand.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
2" all the way. have used both on one job. 2 guys tried both. Same conclusion. 2 " all the way ... Lots of guys will never change because its lighter. very few things that you can do this cheap to change your dry times. And extraction times IMHO

bjones2004

Feb 3, 2013
Real Name
Brandon Jones
I'm going to order a 12" Bentley with a hybrid glide Tuesday from Cobb - Also I'll order some check valves to extend the jets closer to the carpet.
Go 14 inch. That two inches makes such a difference.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I personally dont like 2 inchers. I went fron my pmf 1.5 to a westpack 2" with 2"hose all the way powered by a size 4 blower, and i didnt like the results and it wore me out compared to my 1.5 keep in mind my dry times are between 3-5hrs, so i know my stuff. Just get a name brand 1.5 and youll be happy

Sent from my C771 using TMF Forums mobile app

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
In 12 years of cleaning carpets I have never used a 2" wand and I never have used a glide either. Before I started on my own I worked for 2 Servpro franchises, a Steamatic and and larger independent company that has since became a Service Master. None of these companies ever used one and when I started on my own I used the 1.5" that came with the TM and later purchased another 1.5". I did try to buy a 2" wand at my local supplier but they only had one on the floor and I had it in my hand to buy it and they told me it was not for sale and did not have any 2" for sale, they also talked me out of buying a glide from them.

bjones2004

Feb 3, 2013
Real Name
Brandon Jones
I love that I swapped over to two inches and the glide really saves.

vnmineo

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
vin mineo
Business Location
United States
In 12 years of cleaning carpets I have never used a 2" wand and I never have used a glide either. Before I started on my own I worked for 2 Servpro franchises, a Steamatic and and larger independent company that has since became a Service Master. None of these companies ever used one and when I started on my own I used the 1.5" that came with the TM and later purchased another 1.5". I did try to buy a 2" wand at my local supplier but they only had one on the floor and I had it in my hand to buy it and they told me it was not for sale and did not have any 2" for sale, they also talked me out of buying a glide from them.
Get a glide! I recently got one and its one of the best damn things I ever bought..... It makes moving the wand soo much easier and I feel like its improved my dry times some.....

AdmiralClean

Poster
Premium VIP
Mar 13, 2007
Alabama
I made that switch years ago, shortly after Satan's Board came on line. It was a tremendous difference. About a year ago, I lost my mind and went back to the 1.5 because of arthritis issues. I'll just have to hurt, cuz that 1.5 was horrible on my drying times. Sometimes you have to learn things twice.

Another thing, going to all 2 inch allows you to increase your flow from 015 jets to 02 jets. The increase in flow makes a big difference in your cleaning.

Reactions: spotman123
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Get a glide! I recently got one and its one of the best damn things I ever bought..... It makes moving the wand soo much easier and I feel like its improved my dry times some.....
I probably should get a better wand first, I have a long list of things I need and an even longer list of things I want.

AdmiralClean

Poster
Premium VIP
Mar 13, 2007
Alabama
Jim Martin has a titanium wand, used only a couple of times, for sale. It's glided, check valved with extenders and feather touch trigger. It's what I use and it's a great wand. 12 flow

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I must be the only one who had a bad experience with the 2". For example, my westpak that I used had really slow dry times. I was using 350-400psi and my customer said the dry time was over 8 hours, almost 12 hours. That really put a sour taste in my mouth. I cleaned my own carpet to see how it was and the dry times with all my fans going was around 5-6hours. Plus it just wore my arm out. I'm 6'5" tall and weight 200lb. I'm not a little weak kid either.

The westpak didn't have a glide on it, which may have been the reason for the bad experience

My pmf mach12 1.5" with 2" vacuum hose connected is a breeze and dries in no time. There's a good video on it here:
There's been some bad reviews on this company that made this video, so do some research on the supplier before you buy

vnmineo

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
vin mineo
Business Location
United States
I probably should get a better wand first, I have a long list of things I need and an even longer list of things I want.
For the $99 its worth every penny and some seriously... It makes moving the wand sooo much easier on your body....

bjones2004

Feb 3, 2013
Real Name
Brandon Jones
If the first two inch wand I bought didn't have a glide I wouldn't have been able to push it. I'm getting good dry times with my 14 inch Bentley glided. It's so easy to push I can clean and talk on the phone easily.