1st step towards a new guy starting his business

Discussion in 'Starting Your Business' started by TMF JEFF, Nov 22, 2016.

1. TMF JEFF

TMF JEFF New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Jeffrey payne
    Hey guys my names jeff, im 29, live in swfl and wanting to learn this industry and attempt to start and run my own business successfully. currently i have a full time job and plan to keep it as i start and grow my business. i also have a part time job that i work when i wish to help with the bills. i have 2 young children and a stay at home fiancé so money is usually tight... hopefully i can change my situation for the better. i came across a video of someone cleaning carpet and tile on youtube and automatically thought this would be a great business opportunity to try and pursue. i do know its like any other business to get started from nothing, long hours, tough work, getting your name out there, advertising, sales, marketing ect.ect. what i need to learn is the how to. what products to use and when, what are the steps to determine what process should be used for the best results as i know absolutely nothing about cleaning carpet or grout. im in the process of getting a computer so ill be able to do research easier than from my stupid smartphone but are there any kind of books or videos one can buy to learn the basics? i know real world hands on experience working for a company that offers training is ideal but i just cant leave my full time job to work for someone and not make enough to pay the bills. cant afford a paycut. my plan is if i can get enough training to get started id like to offer carpet cleaning, tile/grout cleaning, mattress, dryer vent, window cleaning and maybe some other add ons while im at the customers home. id also purchase used equipment and use a enclosed trailer. my startup budget would be anywhere from $3k- $8k unless i can get a small business loan but thats doubtful. Of course id love a Tm but i may have to start with a portable. any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. and i will continue to read up on this forum, already building my knowledge. 1 more thing i noticed while doing a local market search. (lots of lowballers) in my area but there are a lot of big money houses i could target and plenty of commerical properties in my area.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dirtysurface

dirtysurface Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    craig shelby jr
    When you say swfl were are you located at?

3. TMF JEFF

TMF JEFF New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Jeffrey payne
    Cape coral

4. dirtysurface

dirtysurface Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    craig shelby jr
    I am in fort Myers I worked in lee, Charlotte, and collier. I sold all my equipment and do something else now. I did Carpet, upholstery, tile, and pressure washing. The problem with this area is 30-40% of the population leaves for 8 months out of the year. And you mention you have been doing price searching and noticed a lot of low ballers and you are correct. People pay 50-150 per job. Not really worth it to drive all over town and get everything set up clean and put it all away for not a lot of money.

5. dirtysurface

dirtysurface Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    craig shelby jr
    You can go talk to excel supplies in fort Myers they sell supplies and put on classes

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TMF JEFF

TMF JEFF New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Jeffrey payne
    Well thats a solid reply. i was concerned about that and was hoping i could still make this business work with what i was seeing. but coming from you whos been in this business in my area and hearing what you said makes it a bit discouraging haha. no offense to you, i appreciate the reply. in this area its almost every business I think would be good there is too much competition out there to compete with to make it worth it.. so i figured just pick a biz idea and go all in. I was thinking with the right plan and tactics i could make this one succeed even with the negatives against me from the get go. id only start this as a part time business and would go for mostly commercial accounts in the beginning and hopefully grow into residential and hire a family member when that time comes.

7. TMF JEFF

TMF JEFF New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Jeffrey payne
    #7 TMF JEFF, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Double post

8. dirtysurface

dirtysurface Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    craig shelby jr
    Almost any type of service business in this area charges 20-25% less then what you can charge in the northern states.

9. TMF JEFF

TMF JEFF New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Jeffrey payne
    Yeah its ridiculous

10. TMF JEFF

TMF JEFF New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Jeffrey payne
    What equipment did you use? and were you satisfied with it

11. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +17,824 / 80 / -0
    jason fisher
    Business Location:
    United States
    I remember someone posted a picture not long ago of a car with a license plate that was "TMF Jeff".

12. dirtysurface

dirtysurface Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    craig shelby jr
    I had a sapphire scientific truck mount and a porty all the hand tools. If you do get into it I recommend not spending a lot of money just incase you want to get out of business you can off load it fast and not loose to much money. Also you mention you would put all the equipment in a enclosed trailer in Cape Coral some areas aren't permitted to have commercial vehicles or enclosed trailers. You need to check with zoning.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Featured Threads:
    President
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +25,526 / 81 / -0
    Robert Allen,Jr.
    Business Location:
    United States
  14. PistolPete

PistolPete Active Member

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    Peter Dymond
    My only advice is don't do it if you kinda think you might wanna have a business.
    You have to really want it.
    I would hang out here for a while and search through the posts.
    Learn from all the (well almost all!!!) great peeps on here that share.
    Get some equipment and clean for everyone you know.
    It can be great money / hour but it's very competitive and hard to get going, but look around, how many plumbers, electricians, landscapers do you see? Are they all starving? NO!
    Good luck brother!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. the rugman

the rugman Well-Known Member

CLEANING FOOL!
    Ratings:
    +1,477 / 2 / -0
    Bob Cairns
    Business Location:
    United States
    As far as pricing and low ballers etc - there are always those few guys (or gals) that charge more than anybody else in EVERY market. Be that guy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. longkenn

longkenn Well-Known Member

Floor Care
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +3,988 / 6 / -0
    Kenneth Long
    Business Location:
    United States
    There are guys out there that charge $65 minimum in my area. I charge $115. I still get jobs.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TMF JEFF

TMF JEFF New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Jeffrey payne
    • Like Like x 1
  18. the rugman

the rugman Well-Known Member

CLEANING FOOL!
    Ratings:
    +1,477 / 2 / -0
    Bob Cairns
    Business Location:
    United States
    VA Beach - at Robs place - more than likely WELL worth the $!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Featured Threads:
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +9,180 / 11 / -1
    There is a ton of training materials available in the training section of Interlink Supply. Also a spot & stain removal app there that is helpful. https://interlinksupply.com/salestools/

It will be difficult to make much if you compete with low ball cleaners. You can be very successful if you go after the premium home-owner market. But that can take a long time, years to develop. They hire cleaners bsaed on trust, references, word-of-mouth and that type of clientele can be hard to develop. They don't call because they saw a cheap price in the PEnny Saver.

Interlink Supply in Orlando offers a lot of training, usually a couple of different classes each month.

What equipment works best depends upon the job you want to do. Cleaning upper floors in a high rise condo, cleaning a nice residence, cleaning a heavily traffic commercial account all require different approaches. I suggest you look at the market, your budget and other considerations and decide upon a target market. Then get the right training and equipment for that situation. Do not try to be all things to everyone.

From a quick look at the options, I think there may be room for a company cleanming offices and larger commercial accounts using Brush Pro and / or Oscillating Pad machines. Less sompetition, mostly night and weekend work schedule. LEss cost to get started with quality equipment.

BTW - I have family in Cape Coral and in Ft Myers. So, I know the area a little bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TMF JEFF

TMF JEFF New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Jeffrey payne
    Thank you for the replies im going to continue doing some research and look into equipment and see what the best approach will be to enter the business. right now im thinking commerical at first so i can work it after my full time job. i found a used spitfire 3.2 and some other goodies for sale im going to check out Friday. the guys needs to sell and hes willing to let it all go for $3k maybe less. but i need to figure out if i need a tm to get starterd or just start off with a portable unit. im really wanting to be a business owner so im going to give it a shot.