175: What to look for? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

175: What to look for?

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
I have a decent sized tile and grout job that I am sealing Saturday. I would like to buy a cheap 175 buffer to use a white cotton bonnet to buff out the excess sealer once I have applied it. Going to go around to a few pawn shops tomorrow. Have no experience with 175's. What do I need to look for when buying one? What's a good number to buy one for?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
If it works it probably is worth buying. Size should fit the job ideally. 13" for smaller residential jobs. 20" for larger commercial jobs. 17" is a good in between if you have a mix of jobs.

Be sure there is a drive block, something to spin your bonnet. Check the electric cord. You will be using it in a wet environment. Be sure the ground is good and no insulation off.

I have seen a 175 for $100 but a nice machine at $600 may still be a good buy. A new machine will be close to $1,000 or more.

Reactions: vibra vacster

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
If it works it probably is worth buying. Size should fit the job ideally. 13" for smaller residential jobs. 20" for larger commercial jobs. 17" is a good in between if you have a mix of jobs.

Be sure there is a drive block, something to spin your bonnet. Check the electric cord. You will be using it in a wet environment. Be sure the ground is good and no insulation off.

I have seen a 175 for $100 but a nice machine at $600 may still be a good buy. A new machine will be close to $1,000 or more.
Good info. Thanks Scott. Will be very helpful

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Cameron, I bought a 13 inch a few months ago,, it was pretty and everything but needed to be cleaned up , new bearings, capacitors and it runs like a brand new machine...
paid 250 and took it to a repair shop and spent 200 on the bearings and capacitors and cord...
Runs smooth as silk

on the other hand my other 175's are all over 20 years old and run smooth.

they last a long time

don't forget to show us what you find

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
I second the 17 inch note. You can also call around to Janitor suppliers in your area. They have used ones all the time.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I have a decent sized tile and grout job that I am sealing Saturday. I would like to buy a cheap 175 buffer to use a white cotton bonnet to buff out the excess sealer once I have applied it. Going to go around to a few pawn shops tomorrow. Have no experience with 175's. What do I need to look for when buying one? What's a good number to buy one for?

I would highly recommend that you buy a 175 with dual capacitors. A 50 foot cord is also preferable. And like Scott said, make sure it comes with a pad driver. Good luck and let us know what treasure you find. (y)

Reactions: Cameron RDS

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
I swore you had a bunch of 175's? Don't you do marble polishing as well?

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
What about this power flite looking one? It has the red, what I'm assuming is a pad driver on top?

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Says 150, prob haggle them down to 100-125 I'd imagine

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Probably. Just make sure it runs smooth and quiet. If it's loud and clangy, don't buy it. That means the transmission is on it's way out.
I don't know if you can or not, but do you have any idea what size it is?

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I don't know if you can or not, but do you have any idea what size it is?

Looks like a 17" to me. And of course you can do it. It's an electrical appliance. Just plug it it, lay it on it's side and turn it on, then listen. And better still if you can run a pad under it. Remember....these guys are in business to sell stuff, not keep it on the floor, so your request to try it out is not uncommon.

Reactions: Cameron RDS

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
A real good cord .. not cut taped ones =$100
Attachments ... driver , velcro or tuffed =$60-80
Maybe find a real clean looking one not a beat down one ?
Water tank is a plus but not the Deal breaker .
Dual speed GREAT to have on the fly , that will buff out , haha .

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
I would not buy that one, it looks pretty beat up!View attachment 72485. Here's a good deal you want to look for, got this 4 or 5 months ago, everything for $160!
You got a steal! If I had a lil more time I'd hold out for something like that. I just know I don't wanna be toweling up excess on this big job. I'm going to browse some more before committing though. I'd like to find something just like you got. Looks lighter then the power flite too.

Reactions: Dafloorman

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
You got a steal! If I had a lil more time I'd hold out for something like that. I just know I don't wanna be toweling up excess on this big job. I'm going to browse some more before committing though. I'd like to find something just like you got. Looks lighter then the power flite too.
It's going to be VERy difficult finding a deal like this! This machine is close to 1k or over new, they were moving, I think they tried to do a little of the business and maybe did not work out? And there house was a mansion! Now just don't purchase a machine just for this job. You need to think that I will incorporate this machine as a daily use for my business!