175 vs CRB Correct Answer

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
actually pulling out the viper 175s with black pads next week, did a 100yr old floor today. Gotta go back and strip the rest of the old wax off.

Its a yorkstone pattern and literally has swastikas in some of the tiles around the edges, along with free mason symbols.. not sure the meaning of them or why nobody ever wanted to cover them up.
Lol

When I was very new in carpet cleaning as I've said in the past we were bonnet cleaners
The owner told the new guy that we are using black microfiber pads. Using new guy logic he grabs one of the stripping pads off the shelf not from the basket of pads and said it right on top of the carpet and set the 175 down when he turned the machine on it threw him into the next room.
Breaking his elbow. And putting a large hole in the drywall
The owner at the time laugh so hard said he had to set down his beer.
He said boys that is why I make you clean carpet in the garage first on scraps.
He took me home and dropped the new guy off of the emergency room
I never saw that guy again
For some reason I stuck it out

Rico1

Jun 30, 2017
Real Name
Ricardo Vázquez
actually crb's are mainly made for hard floors......
reason: they do not have a tank that puts out any kinda solution flow to clean any heavy soiled carpet.......

we use them on carpets because they are more gentle.....

but for trashed rentals and resturants and any heavily soiled carpets they are inadequate......

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
What 175 do you have that sprays?
I heard many people like the Powr Flite but I’d assume the sprayer is gravity fed? If so that explains it.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
175 doesnt spray but has a tank that is gravity fed out of a solution line without any hindrances.....
you have as much or as little solution at any time depending on the feed handle......
great for resturants trashed rentals or any carpet as you can adjust the flow......

most crb with a tank- limit the flow by crimping their line down to where it dribbles off the front of the brush......
or jet sprays......
made for hard floors
barely enough solution to clean carpet...especaially heavily soiled carpet.......

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

Rico1

Jun 30, 2017
Real Name
Ricardo Vázquez
looks good
did you retro fit that on your crb...????
and does it flo like a 175 or does it just barely dribble out
like the one I have(powrflite)??????
looks good........
It’s a tank and spraying system sold by the manufacturer of the CRB, Whittaker. It puts out a good amount of solution, definitely much more than the multiwash machines, nonetheless I replaced the jet it came with a more flow, wider angle jet. It works really good but I have removed the spraying system and stored it away , I just like prespraying and allowing dwell time before agitating so I apply my solution with a battery operated sprayer. it’s also easier to haul around without the tank. I know some argue that 175s are far superior to CRBs when it comes to suspending soils in carpets, I disagree, I use my CRB on every type of carpet and soils in them I come across and it does an excellent job, I have different stiffness sets of brushes and just swap them depending on the situation. Also, I can agitate much much faster and cover more ground with the CRB than I can with my 175s, mine is a 20”.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I’ve never used a Whittaker but everyone that has one has said it’s a work horse. Wonder why more CRBs don’t spray. Sometimes in AZ by the time you prespray it’s already partially evaporated. Would be nice to spray and go

Reactions: Rico1

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I used to use the tanks on the 175, finally we all figured out its faster to prespray then scrub,, chems got better,,,, then we extracted like real men !!!

Reactions: ACP

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I won’t call it a scam, but it’s a bit of greed when master cleaners have to continue to pay for Certs every year. So far I’ve gained more then it cost. But every year recert? That’s bogus.
IICRC just pushes you to use the machines they want to sell you and the chems they want you to use...
recerting with a fee every year is crap,,, I never paid again so I lost the bullshit cert that isn't worth the paper its written on...

Robs cert is better than IICRC

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I think there’s value in education, but it’s a bit like a infomercial, and I do agree it’s weird they want you to recert every year. That’s a rip.

Sep 7, 2013
I read the Shaw residential warranty and nowhere in the warranty does it state that you can or can not use a CRB or rotary, unless I missed something. All the warranty says is that you or the carpet cleaner must use CRI approved cleaning equipment, methods and chemicals. When I venture over to the CRI site, navigate through endless links, opening a dozen windows and look at the approved equipment and systems, I find everything from the Rug Doctor to compound cleaning, to CRB, rotary extraction and encap. So what I’ve taken from this is that they really DGAF what you use as long as it follows the CRI standards, for whatever that’s worth.

They also state that you need to use a CRI approved vacuum. When I look at the approved vacuums I notice that a lot of what is available to consumers is not on the list. Does this automatically mean that Ms.Nylon Tipbloom has voided her warranty a week after installation because she vacuumed with her Dyson or Shark? And if that is the case, why does anyone care if a CRB, 175 or RE is used since the warranty is voided?
I suppose the only reason to care would be because you want to model the hippocratic oath... whether or not the damage is detectable.

Sep 7, 2013
I prefer to pre spray trashed carpet with hydroforce than use any tool that has an on board tank.. much easier.

Also I havr yet to run into a carpet that is difficult to clean using groutmaster boost and crb scrub, extracted with 360i high heat... cuts through anything.
Right. It isn't rocket science.

Vacuum

Prespray

Dwell

Agitate

Extract

Dry Passes

Settle Up

Beer

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I’ve never used a Whittaker but everyone that has one has said it’s a work horse. Wonder why more CRBs don’t spray. Sometimes in AZ by the time you prespray it’s already partially evaporated. Would be nice to spray and go
Spray tanks are available for most CRBs. However, many who have used them have gone back to no tank. A few reasons:
  • The tank is too small and requires refilling often.
  • When the tank is full of solution, especially a larger tank, it adds a lot of weight.
  • Tanks for 175 RPM machines are mainly gravity fed through a shower feed brush. With a CRB, you usually want the solution in front of the machine not under the machine. So, it not only requires a tank, but a pump and some extra plumbing. This can add considerable cost.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
To add to Scott's post, if you use a filming encapsulant and don't clean the tank and jet out thoroughly each time, the chems will clog the jet and it's a booger to get it clean again. I tend to use a pump-up sprayer because it's easier to rinse out afterward.

Richard Davis

Aug 28, 2016
Real Name
Richard Davis
Funny that CRB's are a must again. We go round & round with must have fads while the mfr's jack up the prices. Meanwhile we collect all these tools that sit in mothballs in our garage as we gravitate to the next shilled tool.

As far as warranties go I find 90% void upon inspection anyway. If the seams don't light up, carpet is loose due to no power stretch, pet urine or out of cleaning periodicity it's void. The ones that are not 9 out of ten do not need agitation even if it's a polyester dining room. Void the warranty on your pre inspect in writing. The 4 year old carpet that has never been cleaned apply your weapon of choice based on fiber construction and go for it. I personally don't find power scrubbing helps that much at all, chemistry, psi and heat are at my finger tips. Mrs. Piffilton isnt watching so need to impress with your zipper, bonzer, rx-20, rv360, crb or shiny floor buffer.
I do understand the guilt concept of buying a tool over 3k and the need to satisfy yourself by using it and making yourself feel good that it works great and you can't live without it. Only problem is next month a new thing will come out and the shill sheep will talk it up and you wont be satisfied until you get it.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
As a few decade business owner I don’t think there’s a single person that can guilt me into buying anything. Except timeshare properties, now those guys are good!

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Funny that CRB's are a must again. We go round & round with must have fads while the mfr's jack up the prices. Meanwhile we collect all these tools that sit in mothballs in our garage as we gravitate to the next shilled tool.

As far as warranties go I find 90% void upon inspection anyway. If the seams don't light up, carpet is loose due to no power stretch, pet urine or out of cleaning periodicity it's void. The ones that are not 9 out of ten do not need agitation even if it's a polyester dining room. Void the warranty on your pre inspect in writing. The 4 year old carpet that has never been cleaned apply your weapon of choice based on fiber construction and go for it. I personally don't find power scrubbing helps that much at all, chemistry, psi and heat are at my finger tips. Mrs. Piffilton isnt watching so need to impress with your zipper, bonzer, rx-20, rv360, crb or shiny floor buffer.
I do understand the guilt concept of buying a tool over 3k and the need to satisfy yourself by using it and making yourself feel good that it works great and you can't live without it. Only problem is next month a new thing will come out and the shill sheep will talk it up and you wont be satisfied until you get it.
the idea of scrubbing is so you can avoid having to use crazy chems to get results. scrubbing then extracting is also faster than heavy pre spray heavy chems and slower extraction imo

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet