175 vs CRB Correct Answer

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I think what stops a lot of guys is cost of Crb
And so if they can't afford them they hate them lol
We have several 175and at this point they're mostly a tool for scrubbing tile or stripping floors
If I have to scrub carpet I'm using a Crb even on the nastiest stuff it just does good and shouldn't chemistry be involved not just the brute force of the 175.

Reactions: Smtwn janitorial

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
@AZHome&Carpet you would only pre scrub a total rat pit with a 175 if it really needed it... any carpet in this condition is way beyond warranty anyways.

We dont use 175s for carpet only wood floors and very occasional hard surface to remove coatings. Not because we are worried about damaging a nasty turd carpet but because they are just way too cumbersome and heavy to lug around a house... they dont scrub corners/edges and they dont dig out deep down pet hair.
On certain jobs I’d just anything at all to tackle the job. But I haven’t seen a job my crb can’t handle. Can say I’ve used grout brushes on carpet that simply was so matted, so beat, any improvement would be good. I had a lady who had outdoor carpeting all over her house that was major trashed I used a 175 on. I’m not opposed to a 175. I don’t use them on carpet unless it’s a extreme case.
Just weird hearing professionals argue they won’t use the right tools. Or they can’t afford the right tools after decades of doing this.
I love my 175, when I’m doing hard floor work.

Reactions: Ymetimme

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
On certain jobs I’d just anything at all to tackle the job. But I haven’t seen a job my crb can’t handle. Can say I’ve used grout brushes on carpet that simply was so matted, so beat, any improvement would be good. I had a lady who had outdoor carpeting all over her house that was major trashed I used a 175 on. I’m not opposed to a 175. I don’t use them on carpet unless it’s a extreme case.
Just weird hearing professionals argue they won’t use the right tools. Or they can’t afford the right tools after decades of doing this.
I love my 175, when I’m doing hard floor work.
A skilled worker with a 175 on hardwood floors makes them look amazing!!!
Set a 175 in the wrong hands oh no!!!

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
It’s a very short term goal to learn to resurface wood floors. I haven’t gotten there yet but really want to learn.

M4sT3R T3CH

Feb 1, 2009
Topeka
Real Name
Randall Blackwell
Business Location
United States
Im sorry but personally i dont put much stock into what the mills say. Look at the crap they put on the market and look at the way people get duped by them all the time. They haven't any clue as to how to maintain or clean. That being said i dont own a 175 but i do have a trinity op machine and its a beast. So are both of my crbs.

Reactions: LeeRoy

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Im sorry but personally i dont put much stock into what the mills say. Look at the crap they put on the market and look at the way people get duped by them all the time. They haven't any clue as to how to maintain or clean. That being said i dont own a 175 but i do have a trinity op machine and its a beast. So are both of my crbs.
That right power wash and use black pads a really man cleans to the subfloor how cares about the "man" "fight the power!!!!"

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Yea I don’t care what industry pros say either.... 100% rouge I don’t need no edumacation

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Weird when I bought my Orbot I thought I’d use it a lot more then I have. But I’m still happy I have it for when I do need it

J20770

Premium VIP
Jan 14, 2019
Real Name
Jason Dumont
I read the Shaw residential warranty and nowhere in the warranty does it state that you can or can not use a CRB or rotary, unless I missed something. All the warranty says is that you or the carpet cleaner must use CRI approved cleaning equipment, methods and chemicals. When I venture over to the CRI site, navigate through endless links, opening a dozen windows and look at the approved equipment and systems, I find everything from the Rug Doctor to compound cleaning, to CRB, rotary extraction and encap. So what I’ve taken from this is that they really DGAF what you use as long as it follows the CRI standards, for whatever that’s worth.

They also state that you need to use a CRI approved vacuum. When I look at the approved vacuums I notice that a lot of what is available to consumers is not on the list. Does this automatically mean that Ms.Nylon Tipbloom has voided her warranty a week after installation because she vacuumed with her Dyson or Shark? And if that is the case, why does anyone care if a CRB, 175 or RE is used since the warranty is voided?

Reactions: Joshua Johnson

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Not sure you may want to call them. When I asked them about Jim’s question (asked Shaw) I was told the tool has to be CRI approved. As far as I’m aware except for my vacuum is not CRI approved. I purpose
bought a Kirby Sentria 2 since it’s approved by both mills. Scott W may know he used to inspect for warranties.

J20770

Premium VIP
Jan 14, 2019
Real Name
Jason Dumont
Not sure you may want to call them. When I asked them about Jim’s question (asked Shaw) I was told the tool has to be CRI approved. As far as I’m aware except for my vacuum is not CRI approved. I purpose
bought a Kirby Sentria 2 since it’s approved by both mills. Scott W may know he used to inspect for warranties.
That's where the gray area is, I guess. All warranties are required by law to be published. If you are not supposed to use a certain type of machine, method, part, etc it is supposed to be included in the written warranty available for public view and provided to the consumer. Having said that, most, not all manufacturers skate by on ambiguity and internal policy. I'm not saying that carpet manufacturers do, I honestly don't know since I've never been involved in a warranty claim. But the written warranty seems very liberal and could be open to interpretation.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
That's where the gray area is, I guess. All warranties are required by law to be published. If you are not supposed to use a certain type of machine, method, part, etc it is supposed to be included in the written warranty available for public view and provided to the consumer. Having said that, most, not all manufacturers skate by on ambiguity and internal policy. I'm not saying that carpet manufacturers do, I honestly don't know since I've never been involved in a warranty claim. But the written warranty seems very liberal and could be open to interpretation.
Good point. Even when I was asking them it appeared to be open ended. I mean I can’t remember which but think Mohawks suggested vacuum is the SonicCare?!?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I read the Shaw residential warranty and nowhere in the warranty does it state that you can or can not use a CRB or rotary, unless I missed something. All the warranty says is that you or the carpet cleaner must use CRI approved cleaning equipment, methods and chemicals. When I venture over to the CRI site, navigate through endless links, opening a dozen windows and look at the approved equipment and systems, I find everything from the Rug Doctor to compound cleaning, to CRB, rotary extraction and encap. So what I’ve taken from this is that they really DGAF what you use as long as it follows the CRI standards, for whatever that’s worth.

They also state that you need to use a CRI approved vacuum. When I look at the approved vacuums I notice that a lot of what is available to consumers is not on the list. Does this automatically mean that Ms.Nylon Tipbloom has voided her warranty a week after installation because she vacuumed with her Dyson or Shark? And if that is the case, why does anyone care if a CRB, 175 or RE is used since the warranty is voided?
Depends. They have quite a few warranties. It will read hot water extraction only using equipment certified by cri. I have not ever seen it say anything relating to or about the crb machine.
Cri does certify some low moisture op equipment. But warranty states hwe only. Meaning stick within the cri certified hwe equipment choices on their list. Rug doctor will do according to them :D

J20770

Premium VIP
Jan 14, 2019
Real Name
Jason Dumont
Depends. They have quite a few warranties. It will read hot water extraction only using equipment certified by cri. I have not ever seen it say anything relating to or about the crb machine.
Cri does certify some low moisture op equipment. But warranty states hwe only. Meaning stick within the cri certified hwe equipment choices on their list. Rug doctor will do according to them :D
Yes, it did state that HWE with certified equipment is the way to clean. It also referenced manual agitation with a grooming brush and agitation with CRB and orbital as approved methods.

I still laugh every time I think about the Rug Doc as an approved machine. If that can pass muster I would think virtually anything can achieve those standards if you work at it. It's all in technique.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Yes, it did state that HWE with certified equipment is the way to clean. It also referenced manual agitation with a grooming brush and agitation with CRB and orbital as approved methods.

I still laugh every time I think about the Rug Doc as an approved machine. If that can pass muster I would think virtually anything can achieve those standards if you work at it. It's all in technique.
The 3 work in unison. Mill creates warranty. Cri tests equipment to meet warranty. Iicrc sets the standard for certifications of persons meeting said warranty. Lol its a big circle. They all scratch eachothers backs.

J20770

Premium VIP
Jan 14, 2019
Real Name
Jason Dumont
Good point. Even when I was asking them it appeared to be open ended. I mean I can’t remember which but think Mohawks suggested vacuum is the SonicCare?!?
:eek: They want us to clean the carpet with a tooth brush?:ROFLMAO: It's the Soniclean. I'd stick with the Kirby and switch the brush roll to the one for delicate carpets and rugs and adjust the old way...raise up all the way, turn on vacuum, lower one click at a time until sound changes, then lower one more click. The new way is to use settings 1-3 for normal carpets. The rest of the settings are for deep pile and shag.

J20770

Premium VIP
Jan 14, 2019
Real Name
Jason Dumont
The 3 work in unison. Mill creates warranty. Cri tests equipment to meet warranty. Iicrc sets the standard for certifications of persons meeting said warranty. Lol its a big circle. They all scratch eachothers backs.
They scratch each others somethings.... It is a big circle and a great way to blame everyone else.