$1200 Bruin

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
First off, THANK YOU to TMF and all on here. I bought this prochem performer bruin (original) with 4400 hrs for 1200 dollars, van included. The 4 ml blower was locked up, motor had a massive oil leak, and would only start using ether, 5 wands only 2 worked, not very good i might add, one good solution hose out of 8. And heat would only get to 140. Vacuum gauge and pressure gauge not working. Water leaking from every where.
LOL, the oil leak was a loose oil filter, hard starting was fixed adjusting the choke and throttle where they actually worked. The blower was a little more to it. Had to watch Rob Allen's 5 part video. Thank you Rob. It was just corroded up. Now turns like butter with good vacuum. Fixed numerous leaks with new fittings or hoses. With the leaks fixed I now have 230* heat on the new gauge.
So, with a little luck and as soon as Robs ride along video gets here I will be venturing into the carpet cleaning world. I bought a jug of preload5 and tilemaster for boost and t @ g to start with. Looking at a rinse but haven't decided which one to buy,
Again THANK YOU to TMF and everyone on here. This forum has given me the knowledge and confidence to attempt this venture. Before next spring i plan on attending a cct class to gain even more knowledge. If anyone has any tips for me, or things to watch out for in regards to the equipment or actual cleaning, i would be very appreciative.
Oh, if anyone has a Bruin (not a bruin 2) operators manual or link to one please may i have a copy. Prochem doesn't list it and I can not find one anywhere on the internet.

Hawkins

Oct 15, 2011
Washington
Real Name
Matt Hawkins
Business Location
United States
Good job dude. Nice to see another on here willing to bring back to life a good old truck mount.

I bought a blueline bluewave diesel truck mount on the chance that it had a blown motor for 1500. Turns out the alternator was bad and wiring was backwards on the safety relays. The mechanic that looked at it with the previous owner told him the engine had blown up and sold him a brand new hydramaster titan. Ouch!

Any how after spending about 500 on it, it is now in my truck and I'm very happy with its performance. To happy actually. I'm practically dead when I do a set of stairs with it. The suction on that machine is pretty serious and temp stays around 230.

You'll have throw some picks on here when you put it to goods use, maybe even a video.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
My first machine was that one. $2500 but was in great shape. dude gave me and I am not joking. 110 fresh poly tank, hydramaster stair wand, kleenrite uph wand, prochem carpet wand, 300 feet vac and solution. reels , little giant heater. apo. extra onan engine. prochem chem shelf. Maybe a few more things, been so long. I know a lot about that machine. let me know if you get into some trouble. does it have the 24 onan engine? I will look around for manual. I used to have one. they might have changed the manuals online but anything close is gonna have most of the same components and require the same maintenance.
Does this machine have a pre heater right behind where the water hose hooks up. there will be 2 black panels with bolts all the way around them. inside there would be the coils to pre heat water using the blower exhaust. These leak eventually. and another thing to check is the blower silencer could be a bit stopped up. Make sure there is plenty of air coming out of the larger hole in front. the small stainless is engine exhaust which is also heat exchanger. But the bigger pipe is blower exhaust and needs to be blowing plenty of warm to hot air . if it is slightly stopped up , blower will run hotter and you loose cfm's . from the blower it will hook right into the silencer which is round and then into the chamber that holds pre heating coils if it has them. They are expensive to replace. they inhibit blower discharge ,They were taken out of mine long ago. What to wrap you mind around is. that blower needs to suck and blow. one cannot happen without the other. close off either side and it is nothing but a boat anchor

Reactions: Bob the floor guy

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
nice find though. Running blower and engine worth that easily.
one more thing to check.
Large hose going from blower to waste tank can delaminate from the inside. just a flap coming loose in there will hurt performance. detach and inspect inside. run something down in there to check for delamination. I know you had it off but this is hard to detect if your not looking for it. hopefully your good. that hose is kinda expensive. 2 7/8" marine exhaust I believe

Reactions: Bob the floor guy

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
Your a brave soul to buy that machine with that many problems...
Hope the van was worth something.

Great job getting that up and running!
I bought it as a winter project but everything came together so quick that I put the word out and already have 2 big CGD and 3 resi jobs waiting for me when I get it done.

Reactions: Hawkins and Lars

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
My first machine was that one. $2500 but was in great shape. dude gave me and I am not joking. 110 fresh poly tank, hydramaster stair wand, kleenrite uph wand, prochem carpet wand, 300 feet vac and solution. reels , little giant heater. apo. extra onan engine. prochem chem shelf. Maybe a few more things, been so long. I know a lot about that machine. let me know if you get into some trouble. does it have the 24 onan engine? I will look around for manual. I used to have one. they might have changed the manuals online but anything close is gonna have most of the same components and require the same maintenance.
Does this machine have a pre heater right behind where the water hose hooks up. there will be 2 black panels with bolts all the way around them. inside there would be the coils to pre heat water using the blower exhaust. These leak eventually. and another thing to check is the blower silencer could be a bit stopped up. Make sure there is plenty of air coming out of the larger hole in front. the small stainless is engine exhaust which is also heat exchanger. But the bigger pipe is blower exhaust and needs to be blowing plenty of warm to hot air . if it is slightly stopped up , blower will run hotter and you loose cfm's . from the blower it will hook right into the silencer which is round and then into the chamber that holds pre heating coils if it has them. They are expensive to replace. they inhibit blower discharge ,They were taken out of mine long ago. What to wrap you mind around is. that blower needs to suck and blow. one cannot happen without the other. close off either side and it is nothing but a boat anchor
Yes it does have the I an 24 hp on it. Having a little trouble with it blowing a little white smoke at full 2500 rpms and under load. Hopefully a valve adjustment will fix that. Otherwise it sounds really good.

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
The side plates are on. Thanks and it seems like I'm getting good vacuum but the gauge only read about 8. The line from the blower to the gauge has been cut and a prior owner put a small rubber hose to bridge the cut. No clamps so I'm hoping that it is just losing part of it there. When I tested it out on a carpet remnant the dampness seemed appropriate. So need to fix that hose and check that big one from blower to waste tank for delamanation. And check preheaters for leak and mostly pull out. Thanks Bob for all the info.

Reactions: Hawkins