10 minute patch

David G.

Aug 30, 2013
Real Name
David Gibson
Business Location
United States
Yes, I had to. The dog pulled up the carpet and tore up the pad, so i had to pull pad from the closets to fill under the patch areas. I then pot glued the tore up pad in the closet. The customer had remnant of the carpet in the garage, so I used that. It really did look a lot better after cleaning. I charged $55 for each repair. I always tell the customer that it may never look exact, but it will look better. They were thrilled.

The down part is that I had to work on piss soaked carpet for this repair and I put my hand down on the piss soaked tack strip. Not fun!
Been there done that!!!!! I charge a little more for repairs, I start @ $75 per repair and $75 for a restretch, If my restretch consist of splitting a seam I charge an additional $25 for the seam.

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
This is a picture of the repair with the carpet pulled back. I had to cut out the old chewed up pad. You can see the pieces in the doorway.

1429849831661.jpg

Reactions: David G.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Or if someone is willing to teach me
Contact Robert Atlas at Phoenix Carpet Repair. He teaches carpet repair. He also has a wholesale plan where companies can refer work to him and make a percentage for sending him the work.

Nick M.

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Nick M.
Thanks Scott W and dmreed4311. Just wanted to share a job I did recently. Berber has been a challenge at times, but Bridgepoint chems have been working great lately.
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1429933018.748127.jpg
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1429933036.131669.jpg

Reactions: SteamLine

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Sadly i have to say my patches don't look near this good and would take me an hour :oops: lol:confused:
Take your carpet knife and bevel the cut to the inside as your cutting out the hole or stained carpet, bevel the cut on the new to the inside too, use sissors to trim, put down your seaming tape and put the trimmed patch in place then put a wet towel on top of the seams of the patch and steam or heat it in for usually about 30-45 seconds, then pull the iron and towel and track it in. Im sure the OP cut his teeth in apartments like i did and you gain tons of experience cleaning apartment carpets.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I like how you removed the paper from the edges of the seam tape .
I do that too. I have done patches this way as well. Usually though, I use a glue gun. I've always used plain tape. No glue, just the silk, but I'm having a hard time finding it now.
(Don't need those fancy high priced irons all the time. ) Especially in a setting where you can't charge an arm and leg for it. The tape alone , with the metal is really expensive.
i just tear the edges of the seaming tape away, i also dont do straight line cuts, i curve them alot and do alot of triangle patches to hide the lines on low level carpets. I should make some videos

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Matt....you can always play it safe until you gain more confidence by simply lifting the iron off of the towel after say, 12 seconds and give a very slight tug to see if the patch is adhering to the seam tape and to confirm that you're not burning/melting the carpet. Like anything else, Practice! Practice! Practice!. When I first started teaching myself carpet repairs, I would go to my friends carpet store and grab a bunch of old scrap carpet that he was dumping out and go to town doing all kinds of repairs.

"Learning By Doing" I always say.
Thats right, old guys like us, invented the techniques we used to make repairs, we taught ourselves almost everything.

dcooper

May 11, 2014
Here is a patch I did today in about ten minutes. I had to rough the donor piece on the concrete to match the worn traffic area.

I much perfer doing a repair like that with either a cookie cutter or bonded insert with a glue gun or if you have a koolglide iron they are awsome.

ccrusdf

Dec 23, 2017
Real Name
David Falucho
Nice job (several years later!)! Just did several patches today!

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Take your carpet knife and bevel the cut to the inside as your cutting out the hole or stained carpet, bevel the cut on the new to the inside too, use sissors to trim, put down your seaming tape and put the trimmed patch in place then put a wet towel on top of the seams of the patch and steam or heat it in for usually about 30-45 seconds, then pull the iron and towel and track it in. Im sure the OP cut his teeth in apartments like i did and you gain tons of experience cleaning apartment carpets.
Sounds really easy, like hop on the bike and start pedaling, right?
I've done couple fixes on Berber carpeting, no patch though, only painstaking process to glue down some carpet strands. Later I "steal" patch from the closet. Good for you guys . As I mention in earlier posts I'm "blessed" with majority houses having lot of pets( today 3 dogs- medium size, one cat- large one) only stain and odor removal.
For my Greek-orthodox Christmas I'm treating myself with a simple carpet repair kit. Would you give me some pointers @ jtsunbrite and where to get it ? Thanks

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Sounds really easy, like hop on the bike and start pedaling, right?
I've done couple fixes on Berber carpeting, no patch though, only painstaking process to glue down some carpet strands. Later I "steal" patch from the closet. Good for you guys . As I mention in earlier posts I'm "blessed" with majority houses having lot of pets( today 3 dogs- medium size, one cat- large one) only stain and odor removal.
For my Greek-orthodox Christmas I'm treating myself with a simple carpet repair kit. Would you give me some pointers @ jtsunbrite and where to get it ? Thanks
I never bought one of those kits, when I started there was no kits... I just buy the best tools I can find for carpet repairs,,,, carpet knife , good sissors, seaming iron, trac to trac it in and hide seams,, seaming tape, knee kicker, stair tools,, hell there are many

Reactions: Luky

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I never bought one of those kits, when I started there was no kits... I just buy the best tools I can find for carpet repairs,,,, carpet knife , good sissors, seaming iron, trac to trac it in and hide seams,, seaming tape, knee kicker, stair tools,, hell there are many

Me neither. No sissy kits for me. :D