10% Ethanol in just about all gas in the U.S.?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I filled up my tank last Friday at a place I normally don't use. It was a Tractor supply type place that also sells gas. I noticed on the pump in a very inconspicuous place a very small tag that said the gas had 10% Ethanol in it. I don't recall seeing anything like that at the 2 stations I frequent the most. I was a little worried about running it through my Boxxer 421 so I did some checking. If I understand things correctly I've been running 10% Ethanol in my gas for years and likely so have all of you if you're in the U.S. I was completely unaware of this. I guess 10% can't be all that bad if this is true because it clearly has had little or no effect running it through the B & S engine on my Boxxer. Only one real carburetor problem in over 15 years. I just had no idea ethanol was being put in virtually all gas in the U.S. if what I read is true.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a6244/e15-gasoline-damage-engine/

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=27&t=10

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Ya most gas stations have ethanol in their lower grade gas 87 octane etc. several places around me advertise ethanol free with their premium gas.

21derrick

Feb 16, 2018
Real Name
derrick
All fuel has ethanol in , I hauled gas for 12 years! You won't have any problem s , just stay away from unbranded gas stations and use the correct octane recommend for your engine ,and try to use a gas station that stays busy , ethanol settles at the bottom of the tank and if the gas station has high traffic it keeps it mixed up better... gasoline is like cleaning carpets if you use unbranded it will cause your injectors to clog ,build gunk up on carburetor, good gasoline has good cleaning detergent s in it

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Ya most gas stations have ethanol in their lower grade gas 87 octane etc. several places around me advertise ethanol free with their premium gas.
I've always run 87 octanes in every vehicle I've ever had. From what I read it appears to be in all octanes unless otherwise stated as ethanol free like you said. I do recall seeing a place or 2 that had an ethanol free sign, but it wasn't in my area. From what I've gathered it's the 15% stuff you really don't want running through small engines or any vehicle not designed for flex fuels. I guess they have to modify fuel lines and some other things to run 15%.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
All fuel has ethanol in , I hauled gas for 12 years! You won't have any problem s , just stay away from unbranded gas stations and use the correct octane recommend for your engine ,and try to use a gas station that stays busy , ethanol settles at the bottom of the tank and if the gas station has high traffic it keeps it mixed up better... gasoline is like cleaning carpets if you use unbranded it will cause your injectors to clog ,build gunk up on carburetor, good gasoline has good cleaning detergent s in it
I generally buy 90% of my gas from the same station. I have bought from the Tractor Supply place before though w/o problems and they do stay pretty busy. Actually, I was a little relieved to hear it's in almost all gas since I've been running through my B & S engine for years and didn't know it. I did have to replace my carburetor probably 5 or 6 years ago, but I doubt the ethanol had anything to do with that.

alexus

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2014
Real Name
Aleksandr Davidov
We have ethanol free gas at Walmart gas stations

Last edited:

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
All regular gas has ethanol. We can get ethanol free gas here for $3.40 a gallon Vs $2.75 for 87octane.
If you worried about it add a fuel stabilizer every fill up.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
All regular gas has ethanol. We can get ethanol free gas here for $3.40 a gallon Vs $2.75 for 87octane.
I plan on asking the station where I go the most next time I fill up if all their gas has ethanol or not. Really, I bet I put over 95% of my gas in from that one station.

I went ahead and called the station I frequent and they said all their gas has 10% ethanol, not just the regular, all of it. I've been going to that station for a lot of years. To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't hurt either my machine or my van. I've used thousands of gallons from that station and the majority of that has gone through my truck mount engine w/o a problem.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
The flex fuel could harm older neoprene hoses. I dont think viton has this issue

The Magician

Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
Jimmy Nardella
Just another way to the oil companies rip us off. Cheapen the gas and charge more and pay a higher price for non ethanol

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I plan on asking the station where I go the most next time I fill up if all their gas has ethanol or not. Really, I bet I put over 95% of my gas in from that one station.

I went ahead and called the station I frequent and they said all their gas has 10% ethanol, not just the regular, all of it. I've been going to that station for a lot of years. To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't hurt either my machine or my van. I've used thousands of gallons from that station and the majority of that has gone through my truck mount engine w/o a problem.
Here in Florida it says right on the pump. Contains 10% ethanol. When unsaid regular gas I meant all 3 not just 87.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

Here in Florida it says right on the pump. Contains 10% ethanol. When unsaid regular gas I meant all 3 not just 87.
I think all stations have to say it on the pump. It says it everywhere I go. Even has notice for boaters to get information from attendant.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States

I checked with the station I frequent the most and they confirmed they have 10% in all their gas including premium. There's no sign to be found anywhere that states it though. I believe the other station I sometimes use is the same way. They're right across the street from each other. I guess they're not required by law to disclose that if it's only 10%. I think they do if it's 15% though.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

I checked with the station I frequent the most and they confirmed they have 10% in all their gas including premium. There's no sign to be found anywhere that states it though. I believe the other station I sometimes use is the same way. They're right across the street from each other. I guess they're not required by law to disclose that if it's only 10%. I think they do if it's 15% though.
Last time i was on this thread i looked that labling up. Only certain states require it be posted.
My small engines i buy ethanol free gas. It keeps all season. And engines are trouble free. I googled ethanol free stations and there are sites that mark them on a map for you. It says one down the road from me sells it. But i dont know if its pump gas. He has barrels of racing fuel he sells. So they might be clouding my search.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

Im curious to know if anyone here might maybe @JimDavisson maybe if Boat launch filling stations are ethanol free.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Interesting video by John Stossel I just ran across about ethanol. Just goes to show how truly stupid our government is and how they waste tax dollars by the billions. It's only a few minutes if you want to take a look.

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
In Colorado it is required in most counties to be 10% ethanol but in the rural areas it is not. Only problem is the stations in rural areas don't want to pay extra to have a special tanker truck to supply them. A few stations will and they charge more for the ethanol free fuel.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Interesting video by John Stossel I just ran across about ethanol. Just goes to show how truly stupid our government is and how they waste tax dollars by the billions. It's only a few minutes if you want to take a look.

Lol cash for clunkers i remember that. Now first time drivers are starting life in debt :D
Destroyed some great vehicles they did. Most with absolutly nothing wrong with them. They bought junk cars with our money. Then used our money to scrap the cars.
Everything they said in that video is what a guy i worked for said. He worked for gas co. And they had to investigate into the ethanol to determine if they could say "were going green" but it turned out ethanol is far worse in every catagory so they bagged the slogan. Mpg drops, agruculture, economy, taxation,production,can go on and on. Its funny theres a coors light sign in background. Because thats what we refer to this watered down gas as.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Lol cash for clunkers i remember that. Now first time drivers are starting life in debt :D
Destroyed some great vehicles they did. Most with absolutly nothing wrong with them. They bought junk cars with our money. Then used our money to scrap the cars.
Everything they said in that video is what a guy i worked for said. He worked for gas co. And they had to investigate into the ethanol to determine if they could say "were going green" but it turned out ethanol is far worse in every catagory so they bagged the slogan. Mpg drops, agruculture, economy, taxation,production,can go on and on. Its funny theres a coors light sign in background. Because thats what we refer to this watered down gas as.
I read that ethanol only gives 2/3'rds the energy of gasoline per gallon and that they plan on adding more, much more to the fuel in the future. They produce billions of gallons of this stuff every year. What really irks me though is the billions of subsidy they're getting to do it. Apparently, it's one of the few things BOTH major parties actually agree on. I don't know how much of this article is true, but I suspect all of it is true. There appear to be very few gas stations in Missouri that sell pure gas w/o ethanol. There may be a couple in my town, but I have to check to make sure.

https://www.downsizinggovernment.org/ethanol-and-biofuel-policies