10 Best Developments in the Last 10 Years

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
I wish they would slow down a little .... I can't keep up getting all the new tools ( wands tile tools Zipper ) ... But thats why I love ebay :)

Tile tools and truckmountforum on on my top 10 and 26 years ago I would have never dreamed of having a truckmount like mine ..

LOL

Love that for sure also, have a whole warehouse full of tools/equipment purchased about 1/3 of retail cost.I think we have 1 thing bought at retail Cimex, only thing i couldnt find used.

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
Dave Yoakum, I'm still not sold on encapsulate cleaning. I was using that process for a while and although it made the carpet look better, it really did not remove the dirt. I cleaned a real estate office a few years ago with a bonnet method used with Encapuclean from Bridgepoint. It looked good when I was finished. They had a water leak from something about a week after I cleaned it and when I did hot water extraction, I also tested a few other areas and it pulled up dark brown dirty water, indicating that the bonnet/encapsulate cleaning I did a week earlier didn't truly clean the carpet.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Dave Yoakum, I'm still not sold on encapsulate cleaning. I was using that process for a while and although it made the carpet look better, it really did not remove the dirt. I cleaned a real estate office a few years ago with a bonnet method used with Encapuclean from Bridgepoint. It looked good when I was finished. They had a water leak from something about a week after I cleaned it and when I did hot water extraction, I also tested a few other areas and it pulled up dark brown dirty water, indicating that the bonnet/encapsulate cleaning I did a week earlier didn't truly clean the carpet.

Just need more experience then
The more jobs you complete the more you learn when to use what tool at what time

Dave Y

Carpet Cleaner
Jul 14, 2008
Real Name
Dave Yokum
Business Location
United States
Don't really want to get into a HWE V/S Encap war here but.

No cleaning method will remove all the soil.

A water leak after HWE can also leave a ring also or the leak itself could of been soild water. (Sewage, Roof, Sprinkler Etc...)

I think it is best to use different methods, for different situations.

On commercial carpet there can be the potential for wicking.

Encapping can virtually eliminates this problem and thus I have happier clients. That also enjoy all the other benefits of encapping.

I encap commercial without having to charge less that HWE in some cases I charge more that the HEW only guys and still get the jobs.

It's a great tool to have in your belt.IMHO

Art Kelley

Feb 9, 2009
Clawson,MI
Real Name
Art Kelley
I hate to swallow my pride but if Ken Harris is the inventor of the glide then kudos to him. Regardless of your opinion of him and his business practices, that was a stroke of genius. The message boards, ICS was the first I saw, then Mike Paitoilette starting *********** allowing cleaners to really express their opinions. But my favorite development this last ten years is my Garmin Nuvi that has that nice British woman telling me how to drive to my various jobs, and even telling me what side of the street the house is on.

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
Just need more experience then
The more jobs you complete the more you learn when to use what tool at what time

I think my 25 years of experience is plenty. The fact is, encapsulation does not take out as much dirt as rotary HWE . I agree that it can be effective on some very low pile commercial carpet as long as it is used with a bonnet and the pads are exchanged very often. I don't believe at all in the Cimex version of encap cleaning. All it is doing is brushing the dirt around and hiding it.

Art, I agree that the GPS is an important breakthrough, belonging high on the list.

Canada-Eh

Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
coswaysupply.com
Real Name
Kenny Cosway
Business Location
Canada
Dang I thought Chuck Norris invented the internet :)

Al Gore............................................He invented the internet, but you all knew that.................Just a joke, ok.

LisaWagner

Aug 27, 2008
San Diego
Real Name
Lisa Wagner
Business Location
United States
The internet is just a medium - like TV or radio or direct mail - it's the message being sent that matters, otherwise it's just all noise. So in that sense, opt-in boxes, wordpress, pdf downloads, video training, social media - ways to deliver value and education, and build customer relationships and loyalty - that is a plus today.

Though interestingly enough - with less "noise" in the mailbox - my direct mail campaigns kick butt more today than they did 5 years ago. I think with the economy lots of people stopped mailing as much.

My technology favorites are my iPhone, and I am really digging the Sapphire Stryker wand, their upholstery tool, and I also like the US Products Drimaster upholstery tool. Those last 3 are direct money makers.

Also huge fan of the Airpath fans.

And we have Piranha Member have a Flip Video on all of their trucks - to capture testimonials. Also a money-maker leveraging them on another awesome tech advancement - YouTube. (More searches are done daily on YouTube than on Google - did you know that?)

Crazy fun times!
Lisa

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
I heard the Sapphire Stryker wand is a complete failure that does not disperse the water uniformly and has major issues. Lisa, the internet allows us to get work without spending all of our money to get it. That's the big difference.

owenscott

Aug 6, 2009
Friggin Cold Upstate NY
Real Name
Stop snoopin u homo
Business Location
United States
I hate to swallow my pride but if Ken Harris is the inventor of the glide then kudos to him. Regardless of your opinion of him and his business practices, that was a stroke of genius. The message boards, ICS was the first I saw, then Mike Paitoilette starting *********** allowing cleaners to really express their opinions. But my favorite development this last ten years is my Garmin Nuvi that has that nice British woman telling me how to drive to my various jobs, and even telling me what side of the street the house is on.

Duh .... i cant believe i didnt think of that. I have struggled with an out of date atlas before ... few of used use gps after awhile.

TA152H

Jun 17, 2010
New York
Real Name
Rich
Business Location
United States
The internet is just a medium - like TV or radio or direct mail - it's the message being sent that matters, otherwise it's just all noise. So in that sense, opt-in boxes, wordpress, pdf downloads, video training, social media - ways to deliver value and education, and build customer relationships and loyalty - that is a plus today.

Though interestingly enough - with less "noise" in the mailbox - my direct mail campaigns kick butt more today than they did 5 years ago. I think with the economy lots of people stopped mailing as much.

My technology favorites are my iPhone, and I am really digging the Sapphire Stryker wand, their upholstery tool, and I also like the US Products Drimaster upholstery tool. Those last 3 are direct money makers.

Also huge fan of the Airpath fans.

And we have Piranha Member have a Flip Video on all of their trucks - to capture testimonials. Also a money-maker leveraging them on another awesome tech advancement - YouTube. (More searches are done daily on YouTube than on Google - did you know that?)

Crazy fun times!
Lisa

That picture you have doesn't look like a piranha, and the drawing looks way more like a shark.

Most piranhas are shorter and more pancake shaped. The Serrasalmus Elongatus is more rhomboid, but still doesn't look that like monstrosity. Also, their teeth mesh perfectly.

Why are there so many Apple zombies on this forum? The iPhone 4 has become Apple's Waterloo, because they have a CEO who has no idea how to handle PR situations. But, in reality, it doesn't do anything that other things don't do - i.e. it makes calls, and gets on the internet, although in a manner some people might like. But, it's not an important technology like the internet.

Youtube is owned by Google, and searches on it are generally not pertaining to calling people for business. Most people go there for entertainment and sometimes education. So, it might get more searches, but the searches are not as relevant.

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
I don't like those gimmicky John Polish / Henry Partridge marketing schemes at all. Groping your customers for referrals is a form of begging and makes you look desperate and needy. Sure it might get you some new customers but it will also turn some of them off and you will lose some. Carpet cleaners can merely send out emails or flyers/coupons to their customer base from time to time, without imposing on them and begging like some drunken Amway flunkee.

Please refrain from trying to use this thread to promote that nonsense.

Dave Y

Carpet Cleaner
Jul 14, 2008
Real Name
Dave Yokum
Business Location
United States
Alex,

There is more to what you think about referrals.

But, I can see you are deeply entrenched into your thinking.

Done right it works.

I did 5 referrals this week.

Usually get at least 3 a week.

They are great clients.

They don't question price and usually they get the whole house done and then they refer more clients.

Works for me!!

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
I think my 25 years of experience is plenty
. The fact is, encapsulation does not take out as much dirt as rotary HWE . I agree that it can be effective on some very low pile commercial carpet as long as it is used with a bonnet and the pads are exchanged very often. I don't believe at all in the Cimex version of encap cleaning. All it is doing is brushing the dirt around and hiding it.

Art, I agree that the GPS is an important breakthrough, belonging high on the list.

Apparently not if you cannot get your head around the difference between Interim and Deep cleaning

I detail my car 1x year heavy duty, then in the Interim go to local car wash for $5 or self serve for $1
The cheap car wash and self serve do not replace the heavy duty cleaning, it is for a different purpose

We provide both and how you cannot figure a cimex is beyond me

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
I "figure" a Cymex just fine, Shane. It is an overweight, big pile of cartoon junk that pretends to be cleaning carpet when in reality, it only hides the dirt. I would suggest that you do a legitimate "interim cleaning" by utilizing a bonnet method rather than just a hide and seek gimmick you call Cimex.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Actually Alex I felt the same you did until I bought one. You see from my perspective this business is all about visuals. And there is no denying that the Cimex with a good encap creates quite a dramatic visual. The customer wants this dramatic appearance and rightfully so. But here is the kicker,they also want a "low" price in most commercial settings and many cleaners are more than willing to appease them. Therefore encapsulation fills a void that cleaners can stay competitive while still making a nice profit margin. Yes bonnet is a more true cleaning but the Cimex will run circles around it in production times.

And I if I may I will take it one step further. We in many cases actually take a different approach. We will encap after a thorough HWE a week later and get much better results. You see to me it is just another tool in our fight against a bad economy,cheap customers and low ball cleaners. Is it a "true" cleaning? No. But it does offer us another weapon in our profit fight. The bad thing is that eventually many commercial accounts will catch on and go all in house and cut us off directly. Just my two cents.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
I have about 4 buffers and cimex works circles around them in cleaning and production

9 out of 10 services we pre-scrub with cimex and extract
1 out 10 the customer is either loopy or wants a quick surface clean inbetween scheduled cleanings or spot removal from couple soda/coffee spills. As rob states often 1 tool out of many, I bid each job with same gross profit margin regadless of service and really could care less.The bank has never asked if the deposit comes from a cimex clean or rx 20 clean, LOL