#1 Reason Carpet Cleaners Die from is... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

#1 Reason Carpet Cleaners Die from is...

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Todd, my dear heart, I hope me being a little on the direct side here didn't offend you in any way.

I know you're in a lot of pain, and what I said may have come across as a bit of "you guys do it to yourselves" - I promise, I have nothing but adoration and respect for you in my heart.

If these young bucks can learn to alter their behavior thanks to the agony you've been dealing with, then maybe your suffering isn't 100% for naught - maybe you will have helped to save some lives in the process.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Todd, my dear heart, I hope me being a little on the direct side here didn't offend you in any way.

I know you're in a lot of pain, and what I said may have come across as a bit of "you guys do it to yourselves" - I promise, I have nothing but adoration and respect for you in my heart.

If these young bucks can learn to alter their behavior thanks to the agony you've been dealing with, then maybe your suffering isn't 100% for naught - maybe you will have helped to save some lives in the process.
No offense taken at all. I’m not telling this to everyone to sound like “poor me”. In fact I hope I can be an example to others.

I’ve been cleaning for 26 years this year. I remember my younger days feeling invincible and cleaning 5 houses a day. As of right now, after 2 weeks in the hospital and another couple weeks down, when I clean one room of carpet I’m exhausted. I will build my strength back up but for the next few months I’ll be relying on my daughter to do a lot of the work.

Please, everyone, just use some common sense and be careful in all you do.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I know I have lung damage from butyl cleaners and from being a Auto Body Painter. I painted cars for 10 years before I started cleaning carpet. Most of my damage is from not always using a respirator mask when painting cars.

In the summer when it's hot/humid is when I have the most problems breathing. It's not as bad with cool weather but I still lose my breathe sometimes and have to slow up. I always have customers asking me if I'm ok. Customers are always telling me I should go see a doctor but I never do. My breathing problem is getting worse every year.

It's not from smoking. I was never a smoker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art Kelley

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
When I was a vet tech, we used chlorhexidine to sanitize kennels and cages after a potentially infectious case (like parvo, rhino, calci, etc). I would crawl into the kennel with a spray bottle and go to town. I was taking a BATH in that stuff. No gloves, no mask, just spray-spray-spray and wipe-wipe-wipe. To clean the ceiling of the kennel, I'd flip over on my back and spray directly above my head, with the stuff raining down in my eyes and mouth as I worked.

The first time I passed out cold from exposure and got pulled out of the kennel feet-first, we all had a good laugh - because everyone in the clinic had done the same darn thing at some point.

The long-term effects of breathing in massive doses of chlorhexidine fumes have only just now started to hit, and they will continue to get worse as I get older. Back then, in my early 20s, I was 'bulletproof' and shook it off. Now, I'm paying for it... as is every other intelligent, college-educated veterinary associate I worked with during those years.

One can be book-smart and still be a dummy.

Reactions: Art Kelley

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I don’t think any are good. A couple I was using when the breathing problems started (about 4 years ago) were Pros Choice Firestorm and Bridgepoint Traffic Slam among others in the past. I have switched to all non-butyl cleaners but the damage is done.
We used Prochem Ultrapac for decades. We all have breathing issues and we feel it's related to atomizing Ultrapc through our Hydroforces and steaming it out of carpets with our Truckmounts. That stuff was nasty to breathe.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I have the prevailing theory that whatever you do for a living ultimately kills you.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Wow I eat Wendy's chili 5 days a week and just made it to 78 so that's good news for me. Sorry Doc.
You must be doing something else right to correct the fast food thingy. I never met anyone that ate fast food that was in good shape to do physical work. One of my cousin she got married back where she was born in a farm land eastern Europe, so her healthy husband immigrated to Canada, in few years that guy became over weight and lazy by eating McDonalds every single meal every day. I couldn't believe it. I don't know if he is still alive as they got divorced and he moved to a different province. Big chains like McDonalds preserve their burgers for years with dangerous cancer causing chemicals before we eat them, so basically the one that feeds him/her self from fast food probably eating the burger that the meat was prepared 8 years ago or something.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Wow I eat Wendy's chili 5 days a week and just made it to 78 so that's good news for me. Sorry Doc.

You must be doing something else right to correct the fast food thingy. I never met anyone that ate fast food that was in good shape to do physical work. One of my cousin she got married back where she was born in a farm land eastern Europe, so her healthy husband immigrated to Canada, in few years that guy became over weight and lazy by eating McDonalds every single meal every day. I couldn't believe it. I don't know if he is still alive as they got divorced and he moved to a different province. Big chains like McDonalds preserve their burgers for years with dangerous cancer causing chemicals before we eat them, so basically the one that feeds him/her self from fast food probably eating the burger that the meat was prepared 8 years ago or something.
Not that I’m going to defend fast food but I worked for Wendys for several years and I used to make their chili. Wendys gets their hamburger fresh (never frozen) and they make their chili from scratch twice a day. Nothing canned or processed. It takes 5 hours start to finish to make a batch of chilI. Wendys chili is actually one of the healthier things you will find in a fast food restaurant

lehighcounty

Nov 11, 2010
PA
Real Name
Donna Basciano
Business Location
United States
I use to smoke up to 2 packs a day not smoking over 7 yrs. Now I eat lots of broccoli, onions and hot-wings which really helps heal the lungs! Lots of vitamin C is also a must for healing and keeping lungs healthy. I clean many townhouses 3 flights of stairs probably couldn't if I still smoked and didn't eat right.

Reactions: rob allen

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
How do you consume them?
Rob there are various ways to consume the lemon, we have our traditional lentil soup that we squeeze the lemon inside the soup, you can squeeze it to your favorite soup, squeeze the fresh lemon inside a glass and then fill up your glass with water to drink it. You can also squeeze some to your fresh salads.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Not that I’m going to defend fast food but I worked for Wendys for several years and I used to make their chili. Wendys gets their hamburger fresh (never frozen) and they make their chili from scratch twice a day. Nothing canned or processed. It takes 5 hours start to finish to make a batch of chilI. Wendys chili is actually one of the healthier things you will find in a fast food restaurant
I agree Todd, this is the reason I use to try to limit myself only with wendys burgers in the past, rather then others. I was never able to eat burger king.... I love the mcdonalds fries mmm but I got to watch out.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
freshly squeezed half lemon and some water in the glass with the lemon seeds also inside that I swallow them as well lol, rich of vitamin c
lemon.jpg

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Reactions: Fedri

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Looks tart. I’ll give it a go though.
Squeeze some in to your salad as well, you will love the taste. Lemon is The source of vitamin c.

Where I was born in Easter Europe we have a traditional lentil soup, goes very well with this soup, can't drink that soup without lemon lol

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Squeeze some in to your salad as well, you will love the taste. Lemon is The source of vitamin c.

Where I was born in Easter Europe we have a traditional lentil soup, goes very well with this soup, can't drink that soup without lemon lol
I can second that. Lentils can be rather boring by themselves, but a spritz of lemon really gives them a nice kick. I also like lemon in mulligatawny soup with bits of chicken.

Reactions: rob allen and Fedri