#1 Reason Carpet Cleaners Die from is... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

#1 Reason Carpet Cleaners Die from is...

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
According to a local carpet cleaner who is very health conscious was at his dr’s for a check up. He posed the question and was surprised at the answer. The Dr said “the #1 thing cleaners die from is stomach cancer”. I didn’t have much time to ask to ask at the time but plan on asking the cleaner. Do you agree?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If they said carbon monoxide or falling down stairs? I'd maybe believe it. Stomach cancer? Maybe they are eating the chems

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I think people forget, as long as you eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables you can get away with a fair amount of problems.

A lot of these health nuts who die early do other things...we never know what truly happens behind closed doors and genetics will always be the most prevalent part.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Wow I eat Wendy's chili 5 days a week and just made it to 78 so that's good news for me. Sorry Doc.
It's the gas that's keeping you going. You must really like chili. I make my own, but I'm like twice a month. :)

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I've only come to what I think was near death once and it was from a reaction to a traffic lane cleaner I bought over 20 years ago. I truly think if I hadn't gotten outside to fresh air quick I'd be 6 feet under right now. The reaction was literally instantaneous and it was being applied with a pump-up sprayer so just the vapors did that to me. That pre-spray is off the market now so I imagine I wasn't the only one who had a problem with it. The one and the only thing that I've heard repeatedly of carpet cleaners dying from is carbon monoxide.

I have serious doubts about the stomach cancer thing, but who really knows? My sister died of stomach cancer just about a year and a half ago. By the time they found the cancer it was already too late. It spread through the stomach wall and into her abdomen. She died less than 3 months from diagnosis.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I've only come to what I think was near death once and it was from a reaction to a traffic lane cleaner I bought over 20 years ago. I truly think if I hadn't gotten outside to fresh air quick I'd be 6 feet under right now. The reaction was literally instantaneous and it was being applied with a pump-up sprayer so just the vapors did that to me. That pre-spray is off the market now so I imagine I wasn't the only one who had a problem with it. The one and the only thing that I've heard repeatedly of carpet cleaners dying from is carbon monoxide.

I have serious doubts about the stomach cancer thing, but who really knows? My sister died of stomach cancer just about a year and a half ago. By the time they found the cancer it was already too late. It spread through the stomach wall and into her abdomen. She died less than 3 months from diagnosis.
Butyls in the 90's were brutal, if you ran them at high heat through the hydroforce they took on a burnt rubber odor. We always have tried everything that came on the market, if it was better we wanted to know about it. Butyl based lasted 1 gallon on my rig... they could keep that garbage.

Reactions: rob allen

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Butyls in the 90's were brutal, if you ran them at high heat through the hydroforce they took on a burnt rubber odor. We always have tried everything that came on the market, if it was better we wanted to know about it. Butyl based lasted 1 gallon on my rig... they could keep that garbage.
It was a butyl, but it I've used other butyls w/o a problem. This prespray had butyl cellosolve in it and I still think that is what I had such a bad reaction to. I'm not 100% certain though. I seriously think I was close to having a heart attack and I was unconscious in less than a minute. I know the names of some of these chems, but I'm no chemist by any stretch. I guarantee you I never used that particular prespray again though!

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
It was a butyl, but it I've used other butyls w/o a problem. This prespray had butyl cellosolve in it and I still think that is what I had such a bad reaction to. I'm not 100% certain though. I seriously think I was close to having a heart attack and I was unconscious in less than a minute. I know the names of some of these chems, but I'm no chemist by any stretch. I guarantee you I never used that particular prespray again though!
I abandoned prochem a long time ago for that reason. Those chems are not sustainable for daily use, that's exactly why I make our prespray and extraction formulas that are subject to inhalation. I want to steer the ship to production and know exactly what is going on inhalation and transdermal wise.

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
your not drinking enough water and you need fresh socks at least twice a day and you will live a long healthy life

ASMDS ( awesome shit my drill sergeant said)

Reactions: rob allen

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
lung damage from Butyl cleaners.

I am hooked up to an oxygen machine now when I’m home, my doctor wants me on oxygen 24 hours a day but I just can’t see knocking on a door with an oxygen tank saying “ I’m here to clean your carpet”

I work all day with my blood oxygen in the low 80’s (it should be 95 or higher). At night it drops into the 70’s unless I’m hooked up to my oxygen machine.

I am not a smoker and never have been.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Todd , any insight to which ones ?
I don’t think any are good. A couple I was using when the breathing problems started (about 4 years ago) were Pros Choice Firestorm and Bridgepoint Traffic Slam among others in the past. I have switched to all non-butyl cleaners but the damage is done.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
At the risk of sounding like a total cad, I'd say the number one cause of untimely death in cleaners is simply this: NOT READING OR FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS.

Virtually every cleaning chemical out there, no matter how "safe" or "non-toxic" it is, says the same things on its SDS:

Wear respiratory protection if you don't have adequate ventilation when handling product. (yes, everyone's interpretation of 'adequate' is different, but generally speaking if you're mixing the stuff in the van, you're not ventilated AT ALL)

Wear gloves.

Wash it off if it gets on you.

Don't inhale it. This also means the infamous "sniff sniff smells nice" when you buy it.

Treat it like it's dangerous, even if the paperwork says it isn't, and you will NEVER have an accidental exposure to a hazardous chemical. Act like you're bulletproof and slosh everything around, and you WILL invariably get hurt.

Almost EVERY van fire I've seen in the last 8 years has been a fuel-fired unit that either had pilot problems, or had a rag thrown on it by a careless tech. Luckily the vast majority of this has been property damage only. A few guys lost hair on their heads, arms, and faces, but hair grows back. Lungs don't.

Wrecks. Too many wrecks. The tech who chugs Red Bull or Monster instead of water, gets overheated in the summer, climbs up in the driver's seat and passes out from dehydration while he's behind the wheel. Yup, there have been over a HALF-DOZEN of those so far.

Jobs will come and go, but your body is all you get. Nobody here is invincible. It's easy to forget, when this is your job day to day, that in the long term these chemicals are BAD FOR YOU.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Jobs will come and go, but your body is all you get. Nobody here is invincible. It's easy to forget, when this is your job day to day, that in the long term these chemicals are BAD FOR YOU.
Bingo