1 Pass Cleaning vs Industry Standard Cleaning (New Video) | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

1 Pass Cleaning vs Industry Standard Cleaning (New Video)

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
You don't need a clear vac hose, just insert a clear PVC tube somewhere along the way in the vac hose and observe what is going on.

That is what I did when I was designing a high-end ETM. It's akin to wind tunnel testing for aircraft.

My dad worked for the Air Force in wind tunnel operations at WPAFB.
^^^This... So much this.

There are just way too many different setups to give any sound advice. Everyone needs to have one and try it at different lengths with their equipment and then make adjustments to flow or wand speed. I have a 2' section that really gives you a solid idea of where you are. You may actually be shocked at what you find out.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I’m saying get some employees. Then just watch over them. I love it. I measure and prespray.
I have 15 employees in our janitorial contracts. And I watch over them daily. I still see the things they do that make me shake my head. There’s days people must think I’m taking seizures. To trust them to go and do someone’s 20k carpets no thanks. And aside from that I was referring to one person doing that much carpet cleaning. Proper carpet cleaning In my opinion is slow process. If your actually following every step I don’t think you can do that many jobs in a day. Of course this is my opinion even following all the steps it takes time on the ideal job it’s slow. But I only get the ideal job once in a while. That’s why my pricing is all in. Including stains and and the black edge stains around room baseboards. I don’t charge extra.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
The hardest time I have training anyone new is to make them release the water trigger two to three inches before going to the next row. I’ve seen guys who have been cleaning carpets for years doing this.
There’s a guy on YouTube who does wonderful work in Georgia but had a bad habit doing it.
Your easily leaving three times the water in that one spot due to the delay of moving the wand. So if your doing two dry passes your leaving a hell of a lot of “wet” spots still.
I feel really proud when I use wand as you described. Am I doing it on regular basis? Nah..
Most of the time, my finger is cemented to a trigger and that's the way I like it, especially when using 2 jet wand. With higher flow, I'm more diligent.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
You don't need a clear vac hose, just insert a clear PVC tube somewhere along the way in the vac hose and observe what is going on.

That is what I did when I was designing a high-end ETM. It's akin to wind tunnel testing for aircraft.

My dad worked for the Air Force in wind tunnel operations at WPAFB.
If I take your advice about clear view tube, it would be always on my conscience to see clean water coming trough.
No view, no problem...

• Haha
Reactions: rob allen and Fedri

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I have 15 employees in our janitorial contracts. And I watch over them daily. I still see the things they do that make me shake my head. There’s days people must think I’m taking seizures. To trust them to go and do someone’s 20k carpets no thanks. And aside from that I was referring to one person doing that much carpet cleaning. Proper carpet cleaning In my opinion is slow process. If your actually following every step I don’t think you can do that many jobs in a day. Of course this is my opinion even following all the steps it takes time on the ideal job it’s slow. But I only get the ideal job once in a while. That’s why my pricing is all in. Including stains and and the black edge stains around room baseboards. I don’t charge extra.
Let me stop you right there. I remember that someone asked me to clean place with a 3 area and stairs with a 1 landing. Later they decided to use CC, they've been using for years. Since it was across my palace, I've take a look. Guy was using Butler, so it was quiet event. I've left house and upon my arrival after 5 hours, Butler was still running. Total time spent cleaning approx. 1200sqf was about 6 hours. I'm sure that guy did a wonderful job. Was it worth it? I doubt it..

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
We do on average 3 jobs a day, we shoot for $600 a day minimum, but sometimes we get up in that $900+ range.

It usually means a 10 hour day - techs work 4 days. That third day off has made a huge difference in this company, productivity has actually INCREASED along with the $$$. It also allowed me to hire another tech without needing to buy another truck, so even more $$$!!!

I've set up my techs on Salary + Performance bonuses, it's been actually quite motivating to watch how that makes them feel happy and secure so they do a great job and talk up the customers about how great the company is.

Is it a little risky to pay salary?

Sure, but I see it as my job to keep their schedules full. I spend a lot of time talking with marketing, reducing costs, making things more efficient. I already cut out $30,000 in waste expenditures and first thing I did was give all the techs a raise (they were on the low end so this was sorely needed).

I've always hated the commission based model where employees don't get paid if a job cancels or nothing books, I see that as a cowardly owner who passes the risk of the business on to his employees - and then that same owner isn't sharing the wealth during the busiest times of the year.

2019 is going to be an interesting year.

Reactions: rob allen and Fedri

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Let me stop you right there. I remember that someone asked me to clean place with a 3 area and stairs with a 1 landing. Later they decided to use CC, they've been using for years. Since it was across my palace, I've take a look. Guy was using Butler, so it was quiet event. I've left house and upon my arrival after 5 hours, Butler was still running. Total time spent cleaning approx. 1200sqf was about 6 hours. I'm sure that guy did a wonderful job. Was it worth it? I doubt it..
Couldn’t speak for him or the shape of the carpet but I’d have been averaging $125-$135 per hour. So yes I’d have made money

Reactions: Fedri

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Couldn’t speak for him or the shape of the carpet but I’d have been averaging $125-$135 per hour. So yes I’d have made money
I've inspected carpeting, it was lightly soiled and unfortunately I don't have one example where landlord paid $500-$700 for 2 bedrooms rental .
Can't argue about doing thorough work and if you're blessed to have a customer base excepting your price structure, good for you.
This one is not lightly soiled...

Attachments

Reactions: smart n kleen

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
We do on average 3 jobs a day, we shoot for $600 a day minimum, but sometimes we get up in that $900+ range.

It usually means a 10 hour day - techs work 4 days. That third day off has made a huge difference in this company, productivity has actually INCREASED along with the $$$. It also allowed me to hire another tech without needing to buy another truck, so even more $$$!!!

I've set up my techs on Salary + Performance bonuses, it's been actually quite motivating to watch how that makes them feel happy and secure so they do a great job and talk up the customers about how great the company is.

Is it a little risky to pay salary?

Sure, but I see it as my job to keep their schedules full. I spend a lot of time talking with marketing, reducing costs, making things more efficient. I already cut out $30,000 in waste expenditures and first thing I did was give all the techs a raise (they were on the low end so this was sorely needed).

I've always hated the commission based model where employees don't get paid if a job cancels or nothing books, I see that as a cowardly owner who passes the risk of the business on to his employees - and then that same owner isn't sharing the wealth during the busiest times of the year.

2019 is going to be an interesting year.
To make comparison with a corporate design companies. They're aiming for 5-6 jobs a day with goal of $1K-$1.5K. Is not unusual for employees to work as much as 6 days a week. As a owner operator, you have better shot keeping consistent quality and much happier employees, which translates in satisfied customer base. And that's great news

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I used to work for those corporate design companies. It's hilarious in my opinion on how hard they try to convince you to work harder and harder for less and less $$$.

They really do try to make you feel like shit. I'd rather do it this way now, much less waste in the company so our margins are higher = better paid employees and more profits at the end of the day.

Reactions: Luky

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Two of my employees used to work for Stanley Steemer. They said they were allowed 7 mins per room. Wonder if any 1 pass cleaning takes place...

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Two of my employees used to work for Stanley Steemer. They said they were allowed 7 mins per room. Wonder if any 1 pass cleaning takes place...
And we would like to know, if they brought great salesmanship and coarse mentality among other values. I know, this is quite hasty and I do apologize in advance, if yours are exception to the rule.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Two people can’t do the same job and one take twice as long as the other with the results being the same. Even when I was a lot younger and faster, my work took longer but I never ever had to go back and redo jobs. If your zipping though jobs, frankly you just don’t care about what your doing. My whole life have treated the customer as I’d want to be treated. I’m a lot more expensive but there’s one hell of a value in what your paying for.

Reactions: TLC CARPET CLEANING

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Two people can’t do the same job and one take twice as long as the other with the results being the same. Even when I was a lot younger and faster, my work took longer but I never ever had to go back and redo jobs. If your zipping though jobs, frankly you just don’t care about what your doing. My whole life have treated the customer as I’d want to be treated. I’m a lot more expensive but there’s one hell of a value in what your paying for.
Do you mind to share your retention rate( just rough numbers), based on your statement about your style, it should be pretty high. I'm going through a " transition ", actually is more forced than organic. I didn't planned to switch to a commercial accounts ( it just happened) but as I did, I gone up with a residential prices. Not a 10,15%, but close to a 80-90%. It happened what I expected and I've started to feel big decline. Unfortunately, I've not succeeded in developing ties with my competitors, so I wasn't able to move spill over jobs elsewhere. Working solo is making me happy and I didn't feel like expending. I'm at the point of selling company and start over just to see if I would be lost or still bounce back and get new perspective on customer base .
As I read posts on forum, tendency of self indulgence prevails. " I'm doing great job, he's doing even better job" I read. I've never seen anybody presenting them self as a hack( respect to@johhny bravo for pejorative reference)and yet, wherever you go, you hear from customers mostly bad reviews about previous carpet cleaning provider. How can you explain that phenomenon? Is it customer's perception or hacks didn't joined TMF yet?
Sorry about slight detour in direction of the thread and for being " philosophically" inclined , but we rarely talk about these aspects of the business.