1 Pass Cleaning vs Industry Standard Cleaning (New Video)

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
2nd video made with our new studio. It's about hacks and improper cleaning protocol vs industry standard protocol. Too many hacks and hope this helps newbies and sloppy veterans. Let me know what you think of it.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Will admit Rob, I didn’t care for the idea of a online training video. But you do a terrific job at it.

Reactions: admin and rob allen

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
To me one pass is the first stroke up ( to remove dry soil particulate as the vac slot leads, and then quickly followed by a steam stroke, because the second stroke backwards in the same path as the upward path, with the steam off - only vacuum you are getting a dry vacuum stroke up, and a wet one back - for a total of 2 vac strokes.

This is straight up and straight back, and then over 100% for the next cleaning/vacuum/vacuum stroke.

Sorry no V pattern here, but will work for CGD, and depending upon your truckmount/ETM heat as far as being on the upper end, you can also kill some cut or level loop residential carpets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luky and rob allen

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
only question why lift up instead of just keep wand locked and remove more water? (trigger off normal soiling)

for really dirty carpet and flushing heavy with trigger forward and back and double dry extra slow

Reactions: rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
only question why lift up instead of just keep wand locked and remove more water? (trigger off normal soiling)

for really dirty carpet and flushing heavy with trigger forward and back and double dry extra slow
Agree, no need to. I was just showing how its done wrong and then just 1 or 2 ways to do it right. As I mentioned, I will shoot a video later showing all different types strokes and cleaning examples.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I lift the wand up at the end of a row of strokes to get the water through the hose. The reason I know this is because my wand has a sort of whistle to it when there is no water in the hose (best suction). at the end of a row, if I pick up the wand there is no whistle for about 5 seconds which allows the water in the hose to clear to the waste tank. I guess I could prove that if I had clear vac hose LOL.

By not lifting the wand, Id just be accumulating water in the hose (lesser vacuum)

Reactions: Luky and rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I lift the wand up at the end of a row of strokes to get the water through the hose. The reason I know this is because my wand has a sort of whistle to it when there is no water in the hose (best suction). at the end of a row, if I pick up the wand there is no whistle for about 5 seconds which allows the water in the hose to clear to the waste tank. I guess I could prove that if I had clear vac hose LOL.

By not lifting the wand, Id just be accumulating water in the hose (lesser vacuum)
I do it often also. Though distance makes a difference. Lift is much stronger at 100' vs 200-250'.

Reactions: sbsscn

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
To me one pass is the first stroke up ( to remove dry soil particulate as the vac slot leads, and then quickly followed by a steam stroke, because the second stroke backwards in the same path as the upward path, with the steam off - only vacuum you are getting a dry vacuum stroke up, and a wet one back - for a total of 2 vac strokes.

This is straight up and straight back, and then over 100% for the next cleaning/vacuum/vacuum stroke.

Sorry no V pattern here, but will work for CGD, and depending upon your truckmount/ETM heat as far as being on the upper end, you can also kill some cut or level loop residential carpets.
I don't know if that's industry standard but I was thought craft the same way, old school. My mentor is about 75 years old , lot of fun, still utilizing 20 years old equipment making tons of money working only 3 days a week. No shark teeth here either.Straight lines, overlapping, no grooming needed ( in most cases).
No longer can afford any industry standards, since jobs are piling up and time flies. I make carpet clean though. If I have to use some air movers, so be it... I call my standard Restaurants by demand

Last edited:

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States

By lifting wand too often, I would be a weight lifter. Multiplying by sqf., I would look like Arnold. I keep wand down most of the time ( except breather here and there )I try to use style similar to yours. Keep it down, breath it and keep going..

Reactions: Fedri

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
The hardest time I have training anyone new is to make them release the water trigger two to three inches before going to the next row. I’ve seen guys who have been cleaning carpets for years doing this.
There’s a guy on YouTube who does wonderful work in Georgia but had a bad habit doing it.
Your easily leaving three times the water in that one spot due to the delay of moving the wand. So if your doing two dry passes your leaving a hell of a lot of “wet” spots still.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Smartest thing on that video to me is take your time, do less jobs whatever it takes to give the clients what they are paying for. Crazy how much I read here about speed. If you have to do 5 plus jobs a day time to raise prices. I’d rather work slow give what the clients want, even if they can’t see the difference I know the difference. And simply charge accordingly.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Smartest thing on that video to me is take your time, do less jobs whatever it takes to give the clients what they are paying for. Crazy how much I read here about speed. If you have to do 5 plus jobs a day time to raise prices. I’d rather work slow give what the clients want, even if they can’t see the difference I know the difference. And simply charge accordingly.
Honestly as an owner operator I have no clue how you can properly do four jobs in a day. Unless there just one room. Seems to me they couldn’t be done correctly. But that’s just my opinion

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Honestly as an owner operator I have no clue how you can properly do four jobs in a day. Unless there just one room. Seems to me they couldn’t be done correctly. But that’s just my opinion
Imagine the wear and tear on the body?!

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
It’s called employees.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States

You don't need a clear vac hose, just insert a clear PVC tube somewhere along the way in the vac hose and observe what is going on.

That is what I did when I was designing a high-end ETM. It's akin to wind tunnel testing for aircraft.

My dad worked for the Air Force in wind tunnel operations at WPAFB.